Windjammer Cafe, what do you most enjoy about it and your favorite item or time to go there

I thought this would be a good topic to add as i think i can safely say that probably all of us have been to the Windjammer and it would be good to hear what you love about it and also share some tips , tell us your favorite food they serve and which ship do you think has the best one on board etc.

For us our first experience of the Windjammer was last year on the Independence Of The Seas on our first RC cruise and we loved it and thanks to Matt's advice i'm hooked on Honey Stung Chicken and the Omlette Station :D .

One of my wifes favorite times is around 15:30 as they finish up lunch and bring out fresh Scones with Cream and Jelly. With out doubt i would say RC have one of the best buffets at sea and considering how many types of food they serve its not easy to keep the standards as high as they do. 

One good tip for anyone who is new to the Windjammer is that they serve pretty good Steaks in the evening and they are cooked as you wait.

I will admit I have never tried the honey stung chicken. When I eat at the Windjammer Marketplace, I usually make a big salad. Then I get really bad and go for a couple pieces of pizza and some french fries. I'm not a huge buffet person, but the Windjammer Marketplace offers a good variety of choices. 

Do they have Shrimp with cocktail sauce??... My kids love to eat that on our Disney cruise and I know that they will be looking for it!! I can't wait to eat at the Windjammer as it is our tradition to go have lunch as soon as we board!

I have been on 7 different Royal ships and unfortunatley I have not seen shrimp with coctail sauce at the Windjammer but they can get it every night for dinner in the MDR. 

When I was on Navigator before the Refurbishment they use to have 1 day for mexican dishes and then one day for chinese dishes. I liked when they did that my friends and I looked forward to going to Windjammer to see what new things they would put out

Do they have Shrimp with cocktail sauce??... My kids love to eat that on our Disney cruise and I know that they will be looking for it!! I can't wait to eat at the Windjammer as it is our tradition to go have lunch as soon as we board!

I didn't see Shrimp in the Windjammer on the Independence, maybe you should suggest to RC that it would be a nice addition to the buffet  :)

I've enjoyed going to the Wind Jamairé at lunchtime and trying out some of the Asian/Indian/Middle Eastern dishes the chefs make.  It's what got me hooked on Indian, as a matter of fact. 

Did you type it Wind Jamairé on purpose? Like it's French?  :P 

Never caught the scones before, is that an "Independence" thing due to the UK background of the ship or do all the ships do it and I was just clueless ?

The Windjammer Marketplace does have afternoon tea, as posted in the Cruise Compass, however, since Independence sails the UK market on a regular basis and has tea kettles in the rooms, I would say the daily scones with cream and jelly are probably available based on the passenger ratio onboard. 

Never caught the scones before, is that an "Independence" thing due to the UK background of the ship or do all the ships do it and I was just clueless ?

Unfortunately the Independence is the only RC ship we have sailed on so far so i'm not sure if all the ships do afternoon tea the same way. I hope they do though as my wife would not be happy.   :)

Yes! The Indian food on RC is really quite good.  Wish they had better Indian bread selection but it's really quite good and underrated overall.  I have at least one Indian dish per night

I agree Matt and considering it's mass produced the quality and the flavours are of a really good standard, in fact it's better than a lot of the Indian Restaurants here in the UK.

I love the Windjammer because it is such a "temptation island" for me.  We will go there to maybe get my daughter a drink and I'll be set in not getting anything. But a few steps in and I spot a half dozen items that look amazing and my wife finds me eating quietly in the corner.

I love the Windjammer because it is such a "temptation island" for me.  We will go there to maybe get my daughter a drink and I'll be set in not getting anything. But a few steps in and I spot a half dozen items that look amazing and my wife finds me eating quietly in the corner.

I know what you mean Matt no matter how good your intentions are or how full you may be it's a bit of a Darth Vader moment and you have to give in to the dark side :)

• 2 weeks later...

Two things that have been very special are

MONGOLIAN STIR FRY

Usually once a cruise, especially on European sailings. Like all Windjammer special evenings, there are no notifications in the the compass.

Ask at WJ which evening and give it a go. Its like the omelette station, pick your ingredients and they cook it fresh for you.

PAELLA ON THE POOL DECK-SEA DAY (not windjammer but close enough)

Again, usually found in the Med, but simply to good to miss. Especially watching how the make it in front of you on the giant pans.

This is usually in small print in the compass. Well worth it.

Enjoy  

Two things that have been very special are

MONGOLIAN STIR FRY

Usually once a cruise, especially on European sailings. Like all Windjammer special evenings, there are no notifications in the the compass.

Ask at WJ which evening and give it a go. Its like the omelette station, pick your ingredients and they cook it fresh for you.

PAELLA ON THE POOL DECK-SEA DAY (not windjammer but close enough)

Again, usually found in the Med, but simply to good to miss. Especially watching how the make it in front of you on the giant pans.

This is usually in small print in the compass. Well worth it.

Enjoy  

I love stir fry so thanks for the tip  :)

I guess I'm boring because I love the Windjammer salad bar. Especially the tomato, cucumber, olive and feta cheese salad. 

No way is that boring Tylor I love that  :D. When i come out of the Gym i normally go straight to the Windjammer for a protein fix of 3 bits of Chicken breast and a good portion of that on the side .... yum yum yum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to try the honey stung chicken last cruise thanks to the suggestions here....it was very good!

I like the variety and choices in the Windjammer. I usualy end up eating most of my meals there.

The Indian food is always great and was a pleasant surpirse on my first cruise with RCI. Had it pretty much every night for starters. Last cruise I took, was only there one night that I could find it.

I defn enjoy the salad bar there each evenings as well.

I finally had a chance to try the hiney stung chicken last cruise thanks to the suggestions here....it was very good!

I like the variety and choices in the Windjammer. I usualy end up eating most of my meals there.

The Indian food is always great and was a pleasant surpirse on my first cruise with RCI. Had it pretty much every night for starters. Last cruise I took, was only there one night that I could find it.

I agree Monctonguy the Windjammer has great choices and the quality is really good and like you we end up eating there a lot. In fact we only go MDR 1 evening and 1 lunch and the rest of the cruise is speciality restaurants or Windjammer.

Glad you like the Honey Stung Chicken  :) , i just wish they served it on more days and not just embarkation day  :(

I finally had a chance to try the honey stung chicken last cruise thanks to the suggestions here....it was very good!

You and I seem to be on the same page

Y'all have me excited for that honey stung chicken. 65 day hype! Our first cruise I swear that the hamburgers and fries that first night in the late night snack bar in the solarium on the Enchantment were the best EVER! I guess that first day everything really does seem to taste better :).

And the best thing is that you can get it from Room Service 24/7  :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think Windjammer is very underrated as a dinner option. If you go in at 8.30 - 9pm, there's no problem getting a table, the food selection is excellent. Best of all, you can have a great dinner, head out for a 15 minute walk, then come back for a great dessert!

Absolutely spot on , we love the Windjammer the choice is great and even the cooked to order Steaks are pretty dam good. Another nice touch is when they dim the lights for dinner it's quite romantic :) ,,, you don't get that in MDR.

Absolutely spot on , we love the Windjammer the choice is great and even the cooked to order Steaks are pretty dam good. Another nice touch is when they dim the lights for dinner it's quite romantic :) ,,, you don't get that in MDR.

Shoot, their grilled steaks mass produced for lunch were great I thought... better than most steak houses on land :D and that's not even counting Chops #beststeaksever . Seriously RCCL open up steakhouses landside, you put all the chain steakhouses to shame!

• 3 months later...

Windjammer Buffet is open for evening meals every might. You will find dress code to be casual. Some people choose to dine there to avoid formal dress code in MDR - MDR dining is very special on formal nights and well worth the dreas code.