Refund Instead of FCC?

deep1

A friend of mine just had to cancel his upcoming sailing for undisclosed reasons... He had been bumped off several others (during shut down) and this was a rebook using FCC...  He was expecting the result to be another FCC. Instead, they set him up for a refund to original form of payment (45 days) without him even asking. They said he could do that or book a similar cruise right now. He wasn't prepared with an alternate sailing in mind so he accepted the refund.   Is this something new? My last cancel they went fcc which I didn't mind because I rebooked right then. Will he get back full amount? Or will they go back several sailings to his original cash amount with other considerations for other outlays upgrading, etc.? 

Boy I wish that would happen for me!  I have called several times inquiring about receiving cash refund for FCC and every time it is nope.  I am so frustrated because if vaccinations are going to be a mandate for the rest of 2022 some of my family will never be able to use their FCC (that will expire end of 2022) if we end up cancelling our April cruise.   I have considered calling AMEX to dispute the original charges but my payments were in 2019 and early 2020 so not sure they would allow such an old charge to be disputed!  Ughhh I myself have no issue cruising (already cruised in November and have another one in March) but the April cruise is a huge family cruise booked through the groups department.  Of the 32 people in my group there are 4 adults and 5 children (over 12) not vaccinated.  

21 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Boy I wish that would happen for me!  I have called several times inquiring about receiving cash refund for FCC and every time it is nope.  I am so frustrated because if vaccinations are going to be a mandate for the rest of 2022 some of my family will never be able to use their FCC (that will expire end of 2022) if we end up cancelling our April cruise.   I have considered calling AMEX to dispute the original charges but my payments were in 2019 and early 2020 so not sure they would allow such an old charge to be disputed!  Ughhh I myself have no issue cruising (already cruised in November and have another one in March) but the April cruise is a huge family cruise booked through the groups department.  Of the 32 people in my group there are 4 adults and 5 children (over 12) not vaccinated.  

16 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

cash refund for FCC

Trying to convert an unused FCC to cash is one thing.  Nope.

Once FCC is applied to a booking and at some point they inform you of protocols that weren't there when you booked is another matter.  

I'm not saying no one has ever been able to convert unapplied FCC into a refund but its not something you hear of.   The issue with applying FCC and waiting for protocols to be announced is that announcements generally occurs after final payment due date so the cruise has to be paid in full and then you have to wait, hoping, thinking, guessing.

He was surprised... He was expecting FCC. He mentioned the agent was very nice and understanding as well.  . If I had known what a hassle it is with being put in name of guest instead of the one who paid for it, Limited time to use it and can't use for parts of the fare, I would never have accepted mine a long time ago... My next trip I have combo of old FCC , FCC that was issued at 125% and a heap of cash for upgrades...  Thats why I was wondering what he can expect in return... 

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

Once FCC is applied to a booking and at some point they inform you of protocols that weren't there when you booked is another matter.  

I'm not saying no one has ever been able to convert unapplied FCC into a refund but its not something you hear of.   The issue with applying FCC and waiting for protocols to be announced is that announcements generally occurs after final payment due date so the cruise has to be paid in full and then you have to wait, hoping, thinking, guessing.

He was paid in full and had to cancel just a few days before his trip.

9 hours ago, twangster said:

All our FCC have been applied…since our final payment is March 18 (including Air2Sea) I would hope the April protocols would be out so those who are not vaccinated can at least TRY for their cash back.  The rest of us…..?…?

Tried to rebook January 9th Liberty OTS and use that FCC on January 30th Liberty OTS. Would have had to pay a little more but that was OK with me.  RC said sure but the FCC will not be available to pay for the January 30th cruise, so I would have to pay up now because it was within the 100% due now time.  Asked about using the FCC for rebook payment (Logical I would think).  RC said no the FCC will not be posted for up the 30 days.  What is wrong with these people????

5 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

All our FCC have been applied…since our final payment is March 18 (including Air2Sea) I would hope the April protocols would be out so those who are not vaccinated can at least TRY for their cash back.  The rest of us…..?…?

I cancelled a cruise last week for this week.  My TA was told there was no cash refund because I had Air2Sea booked.  This was NOT a FCC booking.  Good luck.  Seems to me I am punished for having utilized Air2Sea.  I will be cancelling my flights by Celebrity airbooking for my summer cruise.  I don't need their BS. I can book refundable via the airlines and get my full $$ back if I cancel, unlike utilizing the cruise company, where i need to cancel prior to final payment to get my refund.

6 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I cancelled a cruise last week for this week.  My TA was told there was no cash refund because I had Air2Sea booked.  This was NOT a FCC booking.  Good luck.  Seems to me I am punished for having utilized Air2Sea.  I will be cancelling my flights by Celebrity airbooking for my summer cruise.  I don't need their BS. I can book refundable via the airlines and get my full $$ back if I cancel, unlike utilizing the cruise company, where i need to cancel prior to final payment to get my refund.

I'm so sorry to hear that...