Cancellation of single traveler in a double occupancy room

cotterb

We're currently booked on the Grandeur OTS out of Barbedos in March.  My mother and aunt are sharing a room.  In light of the recent reports of Aruba, Omnicron, CDC, etc I want to be able to consider our options.

With respect to the Cruise with Confidence program, if either my mother or aunt, but not both, want a refund, how does that affect the remaining traveler?  Will they get hit with a higher bill at the last moment?

Thanks

47 minutes ago, cotterb said:

We're currently booked on the Grandeur OTS out of Barbedos in March.  My mother and aunt are sharing a room.  In light of the recent reports of Aruba, Omnicron, CDC, etc I want to be able to consider our options.

With respect to the Cruise with Confidence program, if either my mother or aunt, but not both, want a refund, how does that affect the remaining traveler?  Will they get hit with a higher bill at the last moment?

Thanks

If one backs out, then the other will have to pay more.  Probably easier to just work it out amongst yourselves and remove one person.

3 hours ago, cotterb said:

Thanks

Just have the person not coming be a “No Show” ….. that way the person going doesn’t have to pay more  than their current total rate for the room AND all the port charges/taxes for the person who “no shows” will be refunded.

No matter what, 1 person in the room will have to pay the cost of 2 people being in the room, but the room could cost more if you cancel one of them now.

I'd call Royal or your TA for clarification.

Someone posted the cabin is automatically cancelled.  My understanding is the FIRST person on the reservation must sail, the second person can cancel or even be switched to another person..  BUT if the first person on the reservation cancels the entire reservation is cancelled.   I stressed over this with a booking for 3 of my adult children.  I picked the one least likely to cancel to be #1 on the reservation.   The agent at Next cruise when onboard had said to do the first person as the "most likely to be there".  I sure hope he was correct.
  Perhaps go and do a mock booking so you can see what the costs are for a solo now and maybe rebook each to their own room if it is nominal.    If I take my husband off of my February sailing on Anthem, my cost looks like it will only go up $100 for me to sail alone.    Again, speak to Royal to see your options (or your TA if using one).  

48 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Someone posted the cabin is automatically cancelled.  My understanding is the FIRST person on the reservation must sail, the second person can cancel or even be switched to another person..  BUT if the first person on the reservation cancels the entire reservation is cancelled. 

I don’t think this is accurate.  It is my understanding that at least 1 of the original names must remain on the booking but it does not have to be #1.

As far as the question will one get a refund for cancelling…not the cruise fare. The bane of us solo cruisers is the double occupancy requirement. We pay cruise fare for two people. Which makes sense because it prevents couples from booking two cabins for the price of one. Port fees and taxes are for one. I agree with the idea that if one decides not to cruise, just don’t show up. The cruise fare will remain the same but the port fees and taxes for the no show passenger will be refunded. By cancelling one passenger…the cruise fare may be higher just because of the current rate.

On this topic -- if I know my second person is definitely not going, I assume I should do nothing as far as checking them in -- just complete my check - in, and then what do I do at the port -- just say they're not coming?  As an additional complication, this is the second part of a B2B; I'll be solo on the first part.  Any advice on how to handle this?  My first cruise is through MEI; the second part I didn't transfer in time, so it's an individual reservation rather than one through a TA.

13 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

if I know my second person is definitely not going, I assume I should do nothing as far as checking them in -- just complete my check - in, and then what do I do at the port

You got it. Complete your check in. 

When you get to the port, they'll ask where your second person is and you tell them they aren't coming.  That's it, they wont bat an eye.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

You got it. Complete your check in. 

When you get to the port, they'll ask where your second person is and you tell them they aren't coming.  That's it, they wont bat an eye.

Thanks, @Matt.  Since this will happen on turnaround day (the second part of my B2B), is there anything different that will happen as I leave and then reboard the ship?  Is that when RCL will ask me where the second person is?

17 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Thanks, @Matt.  Since this will happen on turnaround day (the second part of my B2B), is there anything different that will happen as I leave and then reboard the ship?  Is that when RCL will ask me where the second person is?

Nah, when you go through the b2b process, they don't ask you the same questions they do when you first board

1 hour ago, JohnK6404 said:

Just curious! Does the remaining person in the room get the same C&A points or do they get credit for the no-show as well (double) since they are paying the full cabin rate now? Our friend may have to go solo next month! Thanks!

Yes, they should get the extra point per night for going solo.

9 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Sorry for the bump!  ^^^^^

If our friends book the DBP and one of them is a no-show, do they get a refund for the DBP and any other Cruise Planner purchases? Thanks!

Yes.  Any cruise planner purchases in their name are cancelled and refunded along with port fees and taxes although the port fees and taxes may take longer to refund.

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 8:00 PM, AshleyDillo said:

Yes, they should get the extra point per night for going solo.

Hi Ashley! Our friend did wind up sailing solo in a double occupancy cabin. We just had her husband no-show at the pier, but Royal insists she is only entitled to her points (not double for being a solo). She went to Guest Services while onboard, called CS after we came home, and I just sent an IM through Facebook... all are claiming the same. 

image.png.a2162d55c40471c6f7970a98de9bb26b.png

Has anyone experienced this and do you have any recommendations!

Thanks in advance! 

10 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

Hi Ashley! Our friend did wind up sailing solo in a double occupancy cabin. We just had her husband no-show at the pier, but Royal insists she is only entitled to her points (not double for being a solo). She went to Guest Services while onboard, called CS after we came home, and I just sent an IM through Facebook... all are claiming the same. 

image.png.a2162d55c40471c6f7970a98de9bb26b.png

Has anyone experienced this and do you have any recommendations!

Thanks in advance! 

This also happened to me in Feb 2020 and I just gave up fighting for the extra point.  Crown and Anchor was no help either.  I posted my experience here but it was quickly shot down that Royal was wrong.  

Maybe price out one person in a cabin, cancel original reservation and book new one if that works?

”the normal points as 1 guest in a double occupancy stateroom”….well that would be 2 pts per night for balcony down to interior.  Royal has a way of “not answering clearly” with their double speak. Why can’t they say “yes he would get the double points” or “no, only 1 pt per night”