Check Out Tipping

AAD

Hi— this is our first cruise… Are you able to add additional gratuity at checkout? If so, how is that distributed/designated?  We have been adding tips when able with signing off on the check. But there’s usually nothing presented to sign. We are not really wanting to pass around cash if there is another option at the end…. TIA!  

46 minutes ago, AAD said:

Hi— this is our first cruise… Are you able to add additional gratuity at checkout? If so, how is that distributed/designated?  We have been adding tips when able with signing off on the check. But there’s usually nothing presented to sign. We are not really wanting to pass around cash if there is another option at the end…. TIA!  

Good question, I would like to hear a response on this (in case I forget cash).  We usually take cash so we can tip the guys taking the luggage, bartenders, and of course the room steward.

So while we have taken cruises from other brands, this is our first RCL since 2008. Back then, I paid for our gratuities as we embarked, and on the last day they gave me vouchers to put in the envelope.  Extra cash could be discreetly added. At our table was another couple who had to go to the ATM to get cash to hand out tips. 

Since 2008, other cruises allow the prepay,  but no vouchers. If there is no proof of payment,  the affected family had to go to the office to pay up and could not disembark.

I am assuming that paper is long gone, and they know electronically if you paid out. 

55 minutes ago, AAD said:

Are you able to add additional gratuity at checkout?

No. You will get your final bill delivered to your stateroom while your asleep on your last night, they slip it under your door and tip toe down the hall very quietly. If you owe anything you will have to stand in a line and pay it before you get off the ship. You can avoid that by setting up all of you and your travel partners charges on board paid by a credit card. You can do this when you are setting up your cruise account online before you leave home for the port of embarkation.

Charges made at the bars, beauty salons, massages, etc. will have an automatic 18% gratuity added and you will be presented a bill that you must sign. There will be an additional line for a "Tip" if you want to add that to the bill or you can leave some cash with the bill. That's up to you, not required. 

I always bring a lot of $1, $5 and $20 dollar bills that I give to the porters, bartenders, wait staff and cabin attendant. For the wait staff and cabin attendant you can bring envelopes from home or get them from Guest Services. Just don't wait until the last night if you decide to get them from Guest Services, do it early or you will be in a very long line.....and that is NOT fun your last night! Oh yes, on your table in the MDR, if you dine there, will be little name card holders with the names of your waitstaff. I take a picture of that so I can write their names(with correct spelling) on the tip envelope. 

Hope this helps and Welcome Aboard! Ask away with any questions you may have. There are a lot of experienced cruisers here who will gladly answer you and give you friendly advice! 😎

19 hours ago, rjac said:

For the wait staff and cabin attendant you can bring envelopes from home or get them from Guest Services. Just don't wait until the last night if you decide to get them from Guest Services, do it early or you will be in a very long line.....and that is NOT fun your last night!

We just got off Oasis and they provided envelopes (as always) in your stateroom with the disembarking paperwork.  Our cabin attendant also had extra envelopes on his cart.  Guest Services had a stack of them out and available so you didn't have to wait in line and ask for them.

I'm newer to cruising and it's been 10 years since my first trip. If we prepaid gratuities in advance, is this thread talking about additional tipping on top of that? I want to make sure I tip those for good service. What are my prepaid gratuities being used for? Should I be tipping as I go too? 

6 minutes ago, Shann21685 said:

I'm newer to cruising and it's been 10 years since my first trip. If we prepaid gratuities in advance, is this thread talking about additional tipping on top of that? I want to make sure I tip those for good service. What are my prepaid gratuities being used for? Should I be tipping as I go too? 

23 hours ago, AAD said:

Thank you so much. So what I am hearing is that it’s cash or no further chance later at checkout? 

Actually, you can go to guest services, hopefully prior to the last evening when the lines get long, and fill out a form that allows them to provide an extra tip to anyone you wish to name.  They will then charge that to your sea pass card and ultimately to the credit card you have on file to pay for expenses. 

You either have a credit card on file or you need cash to pay your bill before you leave the ship.  ( I have heard that for those that have neither, they have very high interest rate financing document you have to sign to get off - no you can't stay another week,  and wash dishes.)

Although I do agree with those that say the best thing to do is bring cash and either hand it out as you go or put it into one of the WOW envelopes at the end, last night putting the persons name on it and then hand that to them or drop off a guest services.

We like handing the envelope in person, nothing like seeing his/her reaction. It makes us happy that they are so appreciative of whatever amount they are getting. I've also had the person be even more appreciative when I ask for their name so I can mention it in the survey. That seems to mean more to those who are making a career of it.

23 hours ago, AAD said:

Thank you so much. So what I am hearing is that it’s cash or no further chance later at checkout? 

One other thing I forgot about that means a lot to those crew members who go above and beyond to insure you have a great experience. Be sure to get their name (again correct spelling), photo their name tag or make a note in your smart phone. Who were they, what position they held (waiter, room attendent, bar tender, etc) you get the idea. At the end of the cruise Royal will email you an after cruise survey. And believe me, Everyone in the Royal main office reads these as well as the folks on board the ship. They pay attention to comments both good and bad. If you mention someone , by name and position, who has done a really good job for you they will get a copy of those comments which really makes them feel good about what they have done. And, more importantly, everyone in their "chain of command" will also see those comments. And that helps greatly when it comes to promotions and raises. If someone has done a crap job, write them up. Royal needs to hear about those folks also. Hope this helps also.

Keep the questions coming. What ship will you be on, when do you sail and what's your itinerary. Again, we have a lot of experience on these boards. Give us the details and you will get lots of good helpful recommendations.....and it's free!😎