CVS Covid Test

I was reading through the test results that I received from CVS to make sure they would fit the pre cruise test requirements and noticed that it does not list the the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number which is one of the requirements for Royal Caribbean.  Has anyone who has already sailed and used CVS's rapid antigen test had any issues with boarding?

If you need a PCR for an unvaccinated kid …….. at Walgreens they have the “RAPID DIAGNOSTIC TEST (ID NOW)”.  This is an NAAT PCR rapid test.  It says it takes 24 hours for results they but actually come back in about 2 to 3 hours.  Even being vaccinated, we just get this test anyway because PCR is more accurate than an antigen test.  We’ve had them some 3 times now for cruises.  Walgreens usually opens the booking window about 2 weeks out also, CVS usually only lets you book a few days ahead.

I have (I think) heard this come from Matt's mouth but I wanted to make sure this is ultimately confirmed. If I am leaving to board the cruise ship at 1 pm on Sunday (Explorer of the Sea in San Juan), it doesn't matter what time I take the rapid test on Friday, correct? My plan was to get up super early on Friday, but it would technically be over 48 hours to get on the ship. I DON'T WANT TO SCREW THIS UP. lol. Thanks you all and, again, this site has guided me throughout our entire cruise planning.  Thanks! 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Tim B said:

I have (I think) heard this come from Matt's mouth but I wanted to make sure this is ultimately confirmed. If I am leaving to board the cruise ship at 1 pm on Sunday (Explorer of the Sea in San Juan), it doesn't matter what time I take the rapid test on Friday, correct? My plan was to get up super early on Friday, but it would technically be over 48 hours to get on the ship. I DON'T WANT TO SCREW THIS UP. lol. Thanks you all and, again, this site has guided me throughout our entire cruise planning.  Thanks! 🙂 

Correct, it is 2 days, not 48 hours.

1 hour ago, Natalfaz said:

I cant see the Clia lab number either.

CLIA numbers are for US-based laboratories.

If that test result will get you into the US for your flight, it should be accepted for getting on the ship.

Keep in mind the test results must show that the test was taken within the 2 days prior to boarding day.  In your attachment it shows June 26 for your testing date.  That would be acceptable for a June 26, 27 or 28 boarding date if you are vaccinated.  

I sailed out of Galveston for Christmas and had an issue with the cvs tests. Making a long story short, one agent looked at our pdf test results and said they were a cover page and not a result. I was able to bring up the results from my text message. He saw the cover page and said that's what he needed. 

I  reported it to guest services while on board. They agreed the pdf should have been sufficient,  but I don't think royal ever did anything to correct the situation going forward. 

35 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

CLIA numbers are for US-based laboratories.

If that test result will get you into the US for your flight, it should be accepted for getting on the ship.

Keep in mind the test results must show that the test was taken within the 2 days prior to boarding day.  In your attachment it shows June 26 for your testing date.  That would be acceptable for a June 26, 27 or 28 boarding date if you are vaccinated.  

Rigth  the thing is im planning on doing the kids pcr test from spain on the 2nd of feb the morning we catch our flight to miami from spain, so if cruise is on the 5th of feb im pretty sure the pcr results would be ok for timing, but the fact that it doesn't include the CLIA number worries me. 

Do you think i should check with royal? How do other people coming from over seas do all this? 

The adults will be doing antigen test somewhere in miami on the 3rd, also if anybody has any suggestions as to wear is cheapest place, please let me know as the cheapest i have come across is 79 Dollars each. 

Thanks

15 hours ago, CruisingHopefully said:

I was reading through the test results that I received from CVS to make sure they would fit the pre cruise test requirements and noticed that it does not list the the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number which is one of the requirements for Royal Caribbean.  Has anyone who has already sailed and used CVS's rapid antigen test had any issues with boarding?

Just to add to the comments here, we've used CVS antigen testing three times in 2021 with no problems in the documentation [Celebrity and 2 Royal Carib cruises].   

At the port, the screeners will look for three things on your test results - one, your name... two, the date of testing... three, the NEGATIVE result. You can see them pointing to the information with their pens.  In six cruises post COVID, I have never seen them check for the CLIA.  They don't even check for the type of test.

I'm on cruise number nine since Sept....each time I got the Antigen test from my CVS. Always two days prior to boarding (not 48hrs). I always printed out the Negative result...many copies of that Golden Ticket...I don't trust my cell won't malfunction when I try to pull up a digital result. Never had an issue. Always boarded at Port Liberty in NJ.

In my experience they arent reading the results they are scanning for key data, in fact the last couple of times they thanked me for taking a highlighter and marking the data they were looking for:

My name

Date of test

Test result

It didnt look like they were looking for anything else so i wouldnt stress over it. (All my tests have been CVS/Walgreens)

On 1/6/2022 at 7:47 AM, CruisingHopefully said:

Yea, We've used CVS three times since June and have had no problems, but I just read of this 'CLIA certification' requirement on documents? I guess I just haven't noticed this before, but we've never had any problems with CVS antigen results document.  My wife, who works in a hospital, suggests that perhaps CVS 'minute clinics' are certified in general and the cruise lines are aware of this.  BTW, we've done the EMED proctor'd testing too, and the document supplied through NAVICA [so the paper says looking back] does include a CLIA certification number [just a FYI].  

Brass tax [tacks?]...the CVS minute clinic documents have been accepted by Royal Carribbean [for us anyway] twice and once by Celebrity since June 2021, no problem.  All Aboard...

On 1/6/2022 at 9:24 AM, ChrisK2793 said:

I Walgreens usually opens the booking window about 2 weeks out also, CVS usually only lets you book a few days ahead.

That's not exactly true about CVS. When looking at the test dates you need on the CVS appointment page, click on "show additional dates"  They book appointments 13 days in advance.

5 hours ago, Okgladgal said:

That's not exactly true about CVS. When looking at the test dates you need on the CVS appointment page, click on "show additional dates"  They book appointments 13 days in advance. 

on CVS website for Orlando area locations every time I’ve tried that, anything more than 2 or 3 days out always said “no appointment times available” ….. that was prior to the omicron testing craze too.

2 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

on CVS website for Orlando area locations every time I’ve tried that, anything more than 2 or 3 days out always said “no appointment times available” ….. that was prior to the omicron testing craze too.

Not all cvs offer travel tests. IDK why the CVS site allows locations to come up if they don’t provide the service. 
I recommend to people to do mock bookings to go through the CVS site, or any other site, to understand how things work.  I’ve seen CVS have appointments for only sick visits  and others have different travel tests.  Nothing worse than trying to book and find out a location doesn’t offer the type of testing needed.

19 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

On the CVS website, go out 2 weeks & begin looking for appointments.  From there, work back day by day to see what’s available.  Basically when the appointment you will need is 2 weeks away, begin looking at midnight.  IE, if you need an appointment for January 30, go on the website at midnight on January 16.  You should see appointments available for January 30.   This has worked for me throughout the pandemic for both vaccinations and testing.  And I’ve used it to book my daughter’s shots & testing in Orlando.

Great informative comments. We are scheduled for CVS Rapid Antigen test the day before sailing out of Tampa on Brilliance. We too were concerned about the documentation....lab # etc. Could it be that the Rapid Antigen tests do not actually go to a lab like PCR tests do and therefore no lab # is indicated? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 11:35 AM, JennaRCB said:

I've used a CVS rapid test four times now and haven't had any issues! 🙂

On 1/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, LinRon2 said:

Yea, We've used CVS three times since June and have had no problems, but I just read of this 'CLIA certification' requirement on documents? I guess I just haven't noticed this before, but we've never had any problems with CVS antigen results document.  My wife, who works in a hospital, suggests that perhaps CVS 'minute clinics' are certified in general and the cruise lines are aware of this.  BTW, we've done the EMED proctor'd testing too, and the document supplied through NAVICA [so the paper says looking back] does include a CLIA certification number [just a FYI].  

Brass tax [tacks?]...the CVS minute clinic documents have been accepted by Royal Carribbean [for us anyway] twice and once by Celebrity since June 2021, no problem.  All Aboard...

Oh no I just took the CVS test and it has no lab. Are you sure yours had no lab number?

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Snowchaser said:

I'm curious, Is everyone just checking one of the "possible exposure"  boxes on the CVS reservation system to get the government paid test? 

I noticed this, too, and I think I am going to go through Walgreens to get my test; their website specifically says they offer free tests for travel, and since the local Walgreens and CVS are across the street from one another, it makes no real difference to me.

56 minutes ago, Snowchaser said:

I'm curious, Is everyone just checking one of the "possible exposure"  boxes on the CVS reservation system to get the government paid test? 

They used to ask if it was for travel and it was fine/free.  If you answer NO to all their questions it says there is a $139 fee.  Now of course we are all "possibly exposed" every time we go to the store.  If living alone we are exposed every time a person visits.  When you go to CVS to take that test, you are exposed......And the test is covered for "possible exposure".....

9 hours ago, Sam D said:

Maybe a silly question but:

Miami wallgreens tests only state drive through. Is there walk in facility too? Or can anyone else advise a good place in Miami for pre cruise tests?

Call the toll-free number (there's one on the Walgreens web site) to see where walk-in sites are available.  There's lots of other sites to take a test, including the Miami airport and a rapid test site right close to the terminal but you'll pay out of pocket for those.

• 1 month later...