January policys

barjpoe

I know RCL and Celebrity - both part of RCG - are separate business entities developing and following their own health and safety protocols but I find it odd that RCL is requiring masks on board when Celebrity isn't. Both lines, for all intent and  purpose, have identical vaccination status policies. Does one set of health advisors know more than the other and what do they know?

Celebrity's from their web site:

Following CDC Guidelines, masks will not be required for vaccinated guests. Masks are required for unvaccinated guests under 12 years old while indoors when not in their stateroom, eating or drinking.

14 hours ago, JeffB said:

I know RCL and Celebrity - both part of RCG - are separate business entities developing and following their own health and safety protocols but I find it odd that RCL is requiring masks on board when Celebrity isn't. Both lines, for all intent and  purpose, have identical vaccination status policies. Does one set of health advisors know more than the other and what do they know?

Celebrity's from their web site:

Following CDC Guidelines, masks will not be required for vaccinated guests. Masks are required for unvaccinated guests under 12 years old while indoors when not in their stateroom, eating or drinking.

My speculation without any further investigation or insight is that Royal is much more targeted towards families and kids where Celebrity is targeting adults as opposed to families with children - so probably fewer children on board and less chance for sharing Covid.

I could be incredibly wrong, though. 

I think you're right. Celebrity pursued a different course than Royal did at the start-up from US ports back in June and made the choice about wanting families to be able to return to cruising public. They also pursued the recommended CDC guidelines for "Test Cruises." Celebrity didn't and went with the, "we will get to 95% vax rates for both crew and guests. The word was that corporate pursued that goal aggressively by limiting capacity that had the impact of limiting the likelihood that families with untaxed (ineligible at the start point in June) children would sail.

Most of the cruises I've been on - all 7 of them since June 26th - have gotten to 98% guest vax rates and 100% crew per onboard announcements usually on the 2nd day of the cruise. No cruise had more than 1500 guests with capacity between 2800 and 3000. Most were less than that and several less than 1000. I didn't see even a 1/2 dozen kids - all ages - on any of those 7 cruises 

With the advent of lowering age eligibility for vaccines, Celebrity is still requiring Children 12 and over to provide proof of vaccination to sail. 2-11 year olds, although now eligible, are not required to be vaccinated but must mask and their access to certain areas and events is restricted and so are their traveling companion/parents of the children. If vaxed, this group of kids and their traveling companions/parents can follow the health protocols for those that are vaxed. Boosters are not required.

As of last week, Celebrity now requires masks indoors for all guests regardless of vaccination status except when eating or drinking. Prior to that and as of May of last year, the policy was no masks/physical distancing required on board. The announcement was made given the risk Omicron is posing. That policy will be reviewed regularly implying it will be ended when circumstances allow.