What is the chance port of call DO NOT allow disembarkation (Odyssey of the Sea Jan 29st )

EdwardT

No one here can guarantee you 100% that you won’t have some cases of COVID on your ship and that you may not have a port of call cancelled. I personally don’t mind if a port is cancelled because I love the ships. You commented that you don’t want to spend 8 days at sea. If that’s the case, you may want to think about cancelling because the chances are higher right now that a port might be cancelled. Perhaps you would prefer to cruise when the COVID cases drop and there is less of a risk. 

Aruba and Curaçao have kicked ships with 1% positive or higher Covid cases, and Odyssey certainly hit that with her holiday sailings. 

Nassau has been an odd duck. It wasn’t kicking ships originally, but a ship just got kicked in the last day or so when it tried to dock in Nassau as a substitute port, so not sure what’s going on there. 

Anything can happen, of course, and the end of the month when Omicron dies down it may not be as much of an issue, but I would consider Odyssey at reasonably high risk to go over 1% and this to be a risky itinerary. 

11 hours ago, Oliver said:

No one here can guarantee you 100% that you won’t have some cases of COVID on your ship and that you may not have a port of call cancelled. I personally don’t mind if a port is cancelled because I love the ships. You commented that you don’t want to spend 8 days at sea. If that’s the case, you may want to think about cancelling because the chances are higher right now that a port might be cancelled. Perhaps you would prefer to cruise when the COVID cases drop and there is less of a risk. 

Thank you Oliver. I understand no one can guarantee anything due to the situation we at now. Just want to get some idea how many port of call were cancel so we can made a better decision.

10 hours ago, DevonFromAcme said:

Aruba and Curaçao have kicked ships with 1% positive or higher Covid cases, and Odyssey certainly hit that with her holiday sailings. 

Nassau has been an odd duck. It wasn’t kicking ships originally, but a ship just got kicked in the last day or so when it tried to dock in Nassau as a substitute port, so not sure what’s going on there. 

Anything can happen, of course, and the end of the month when Omicron dies down it may not be as much of an issue, but I would consider Odyssey at reasonably high risk to go over 1% and this to be a risky itinerary. 

Very helpful info. Thank you. 

Even if ports of call are being cancelled now, things are changing quickly enough that the situation by the 29th could be completely different at the end of the month (more or less closures or other cruise changing events). We're also cruising on the 29th (Jewel OTS) and keeping an eye on things, but still plan to go. We have two ports we believe will be changed or dropped (Labadee, San Juan). 

As has been said here many times, just need to be willing to be flexible. Even during normal cruise times, ports can be missed or changed for many reasons. 

On Anthem of the Seas now, St. Thomas refused us permission to dock last night due to 44 COVID/quarantined crew members. Captain took us to our next port St. Maarten and was able to add a new port St. Kitts for tomorrow. 12/31 Anthem of the Seas sailing was supposed to have 3 ports of call San Juan PR, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Before we set sail Puerto Rico changed their rules and mandated that all visitors have a negative COVID test 24hrs before arrival, we received notification 2 days before sailing that San Juan would not be a port of call anymore. Out of the 3 planned port of calls we have so far only been to one. Overall the cruise is going really well, service is excellent and guest services has been really good with changes to the tours at the port of calls especially with arriving at St Maarten a full day earlier then planned and adding a completely different island to our itinerary.

Like others have said, flexibility is key when cruising especially now.

Ditto!...On the Anthem. Our original itinerary was adjusted prior to embarkation day when Puerto Rico refused any cruise ship that didn't test all passengers and crew shortly before arriving...
Then St. Thomas cancelled and beautiful St. Maarten was pushed up a day. St. Kitts and Nevis took St. Maarten's original place in the itinerary. Then, last night, St. Kitts was canceled and we were surprised this morning when we arrived in St. John's, Antigua. 
The takeaway from this is the fact that choosing to cruise during this time of Covid, especially during Omicron, we know itineraries and protocols can be ever-changing. We need to be flexible and have patience. I'm glad Royal managed to get us into ports and not just kept us out at sea. If I wasn't comfortable with change or the uncertainty, I would probably postpone my cruise until after this surge in cases...which appears to be temporary. But, so far so good. I'll keep cruising. Happy New Year!

6 minutes ago, Pooch said:

So is the take away here that it’s kinda pointless to book excursions right now?  Who knows where you’ll go and when you’ll get there?

If they're booked through the cruise line you'll get refunded, but off cruise line might be best to have a plan for when you get in to port but keep it changeable. I'm sure excursion operators understand that things are pretty all over right now, and will work with you. Even in non-Covid times, there are usually clauses that will adjust non-cruise line excursions to missed port days (at least from what I've seen in my experience). 

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

So is the take away here that it’s kinda pointless to book excursions right now?  Who knows where you’ll go and when you’ll get there?

I wouldn't say pointless. It's always a good idea to be prepared and plan. Plus, ships are making it to most of the ports. You're just hearing about missed ones. No one is starting a new thread for every port they visit.

We’ve had St Maarten subbed for St John’s (how many ships can dock at one time ?!?!) & then there’s St Thomas which appears to be a crap shoot.   Our plan there was helmet diving at Coral World.  Looks like I need to email them concerning their cancellation policy.