In the speciality dinning restaurants is all you can eat too?

victor1390

I did my first specialty dining (Hooked on Navigator) and told my waiter I wanted to try a dish I hadn’t had before, but didn’t want to be locked into it in case it wasn’t my cup of tea. I told him I would be happy to pay an extra surcharge. He said I could order whatever I wanted, no extra charge. I repaid the generosity with drinks I hadn’t planned on ordering and a bonus tip. I’d say be upfront and see what they can swing for you, but expect the info by @Oliverto be the strictly correct answer. 

There is widespread confusion on this topic as it relates to the Unlimited Dining Package (UDP).  Some will tell you that unlimited means unlimited and some will say say that it is one entree with as many appetizers, sides and desserts as you want.  It can be ship, and even restaurant, dependent.  For instance, Giovanni's is well known for serving "family style" so they will normally bring you pretty much whatever you want on the menu....but Chops has always pretty much stuck to the "one entree" rule.

If you are purchasing individual meals, then it is going to be "one entree" for sure (with the possible exception of Giovanni's as described above).  If you purchase a 3 night plan then the "one entree" rule will apply.  It is only with the UDP where things seem to get confusing.  Personally, I cannot eat more than 1 entree, and sometimes I cannot even eat THAT so it's never been an issue of interest for me but I know that some people enjoy sampling multiple dishes so I understand the interest and the question.

12 hours ago, BowTieBrigade said:

and a bonus tip

Not to deviate from the topic, but what's the general consensus on tipping in specialty restaurants? what about with UDP?

We've done MDR in the past, and tipped a little extra to the wait staff at the end of the cruise. But if we're restaurant-hopping, is tipping expected (America-style), or only for exceptional service (European-style)?