100% vaccinated passengers

48 minutes ago, Susan B said:

Does anyone think RC will update their policy to have only vaccinated passengers on board? This would mean no one under five on the ship. I only see one ship doing that while the others are requiring vaccines for five and up. 

I think cruise lines that adopted the policy of 100% vaccinations did so because we were all led to believe by the CDC that breakthrough infections would be a rarity.  Royal Caribbean isn't alone in seeing positive cases onboard their ships cruise lines like NCL, Celebrity and others have all seen breakthrough cases, so switching to a 100% vaccinated policy isn't the answer.   

I was actually hoping for the opposite. We have a family member waiting until the vax mandate is dropped as she has an autoimmune disease and her doctor is recommending against it.... With the way the pandemic has progressed and vaccinations only ensuring against hospitalization, we are hoping rules change for a same day test for ALL on embarkation day. All the cruise lines should have to do is make sure ALL passengers are negative the second they board the ship.... after that, it is all up to chance. And that is the risk we all have to take. I'd much rather be on a ship with 100% negative tests on sail day, than 95% vaxxed and a negative test 72 hours prior, which is proving to be useless at this point. Just an opinion..... 

If cruise lines had been shut down before the holidays I really don't think the US would look any different right now.  

The science doesn't support 100% vaccine requirements on ships, in planes, in theaters, in gyms, etc.    

We are all inundated with news headlines screaming about the virus.  It's very tempting to throw ideas around and armchair quarterback the situation.  

Change just because isn't the solution.  What the cruise industry has done is working.  It's working much better compared to what is occuring on land.  Zero cases on ships or on land isn't a realistic goal.

As I drove back to Florida on the interstate I saw massive migrations of people.  There was heavy traffic even at 1am, all heading somewhere, all spreading the virus.  Christmas over, the snowbirds are migrating in droves, right after everyone did the worst thing possible from a pandemic mitigation point of view - they all got together to celebrate the holidays.  Every day tens of thousands fly on airplanes. 

The case numbers in Florida aren't spiking because of cruise ships.  Florida's case numbers aren't spiking because of Floridians going to grocery stores without masks on.  

The only way to dramatically reduce spread would be to lock all Americans in their homes but thank goodness that isn't going to happen.  Even the CDC knows this.  

Omicron can't be stopped but thankfully so far the impact is pretty minor.  Even in Africa where it started and where there is very low vaccination rates the population is not being wiped out by Omicron. 

The industry has been following the science and the science doesn't support making changes just to do something.   

It's unfortunate the media is not reporting that those who do get it are having mild symptoms. They would have you think the ship is full of severely sick people walking about. Most have no idea they have it until they get off the ship. Eventually this will not be a huge media event. Just let us enjoy our vacations. 

It was “funny” to hear the NY Channel 7 Dr Jen—-answer a question today “can you get Covid more than once?”  she laughed and said “yes, my daughter who is fully vaxxed and boosted had  delta in August and now has Omicron.”  I believe she’s one of the TV docs who said the vax would stop the spread.  We know it’s not true! South Africa with less than 30% of their population vaxxed has a low hospitalization and death rate from Omicron.   This is beyond nuts to keep testing and quarantining.  

All of the reports i have read show that the vast majority of cases onboard ships are crew members who are all fully vaccinated.

Now rules have been set in place for passengers by cruiselines across the globe! Social distancing, only excursions booked through ship etc. Yet crew members can party in their corridors! Then can get off ship without supervision and wander about ports of call. 

If an RC ship was to dock alongside a MSC ship in a port its almost certain there will be family or friends working on both ships so they meet up,  go to a cafe or bar have a coffee or beer and a catch up! 

A ship in Europe (aidanova) was banned from leaving a port on NYE, after much deliberation they decided to cancel the cruise as most of the crew had to be taken off to isolate in hotels. Reports showed guests enjoying the sun having a beer while crew were offloaded first! 

I fully understand you can not keep crew locked up for 24 hours a day, i wouldnt expect that however when ships are being banned from ports due to the amount of crew testing positive something has to change, passengers can do all that is asked of them yet still have their cruise cut short due to crew making up most of the % of positive cases.

6 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

It was “funny” to hear the NY Channel 7 Dr Jen—-answer a question today “can you get Covid more than once?”  she laughed and said “yes, my daughter who is fully vaxxed and boosted had  delta in August and now has Omicron.”  I believe she’s one of the TV docs who said the vax would stop the spread.  We know it’s not true! South Africa with less than 30% of their population vaxxed has a low hospitalization and death rate from Omicron.   This is beyond nuts to keep testing and quarantining.  

You’re so right!  Here in Orlando the news says the testing sites have been having  7 hours plus long lines!  It’s because people are brainwashed that if they have the sniffles, they need to be tested.  It’s just crazy.

9 hours ago, Susan B said:

It's unfortunate the media is not reporting that those who do get it are having mild symptoms. They would have you think the ship is full of severely sick people walking about. Most have no idea they have it until they get off the ship. Eventually this will not be a huge media event. Just let us enjoy our vacations. 

I need to understand what media you're referring to. All I've heard in mainstream media is that so far the majority of Omicron cases have mild symptoms.

What I'm hearing from my family in healthcare is different and more nuanced but basically - Omicron -  mild symptoms for vaxxed people. 

2 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

You’re so right!  Here in Orlando the news says the testing sites have been having  7 hours plus long lines!  It’s because people are brainwashed that if they have the sniffles, they need to be tested.  It’s just crazy.

In my state there have been several news stories about the horrors of long lines for testing, yet the daily testing numbers put out by the state are about the same as they've always been.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

In my state there have been several news stories about the horrors of long lines for testing, yet the daily testing numbers put out by the state are about the same as they've always been.

If your state is one of the states are like Illinois and recently adopted a sort of vax mandate, I can see why the news are reporting long lines. Unvaxxed employees will now have to provide a weekly negative test to work. I have seen those free testing sites pop up in the most unusual places, such as a defunct carwash in a gas station, to help with demand. The lines start before they open and continue on. Our numbers have held probably because it is the same amount of people testing positive......more testing doesn't necessarily mean more positives.