Specialty Dining Questions

Our February cruise on Oasis is my first cruise that I will be trying out a specialty dining restaurant. I am looking at doing the Chops +1 and going to 150 Central Park. Since I've only eaten dinner in the MDR, I have a few questions on the dining experience in a specialty restaurant:

1) Since I have the DBP, does that include the drinks up to $13 in specialty restaurants? Are there any different rules/ limitations on ordering drinks in the MDR and a specialty restaurant?

2) Is it frowned upon to have a toddler in a specialty restaurant? We are cruising with a 9mo old and are curious to see if we need to book Royal Tots during our specialty dining nights.

1.  Yes.  The DBP will include drinks anywhere on the ship, including specialty restaurants.  Note that wines (by the glass) will often exceed the $13 threshold so you have to be careful with wines, but almost any other beverage will be covered/included.  Rarely does a drink exceed the threshold but some high end liquors will....but they will advise you of that, if it is the case.

2.  Absolutely not.  Children are always welcome in specialty restaurants.  You know your child best so you will know how well/poorly they are likely to handle an extended meal situation.  I would not advise taking a 9 month old to the Chef's Table due to the length of that event but for a dinner at Chops I would not hesitate.  It might be a nice time to consider AO/RT so that the 2 of you can get away for a nice meal but it is certainly permitted to take children into specialty restaurants.  Enjoy !

re: toddler  RC will never frown at your choices.  However, please keep in mind the people who have shelled out extra money to eat in specialty restaurants.  I'm sure you would take your angel out of the restaurant at the first sign of fussing. 

Unfortunately for us, the last time we ate at Chops a couple was there with their toddler to "celebrate his 1 year birthday" at 8 pm after a long port day.  That child screamed, cried, and threw food the entire time we were trying to enjoy our meal.  It was hell.  The wait staff kept offering to box up their food, or switch to room service but the couple would not hear of it.  

Again, I am sure this would never be you.  But it might be easier to plan on the nursery so you don't have to be on guard and prepared to leave, and you can enjoy your meal while allowing others to do the same.  On the other hand, same cruise we shared a MDR table with a young couple and their 8 month old, who was an absolute delight.  If your toddler is one who happily amuses themselves with the toys you bring along, and enjoys the parade of food coming to the table, while quietly babbling to themselves, specialty dining should be no obstacle.  Only you know your child well enough to make the call.