Mask Exemption?!

Interesting question arose this morning via a FB chat.  How does Royal handle someone with a medical "mask exemption"?  Does it vary based upon original port (United States versus Europe).  How would other passengers feel?  I've tried to research this but can not find anything definitative other than "contact Royal directly".

In my humble opinion, no mask no sail. It's just that simple. They are a business and to participate in the business the business stated protocols must be adhered to. That's a slippery slope I don't think they would take on. Just wait to sail when the mask protocol is lifted. I just can't see it.

45 minutes ago, kittenmom said:

Interesting question arose this morning via a FB chat.  How does Royal handle someone with a medical "mask exemption"?  Does it vary based upon original port (United States versus Europe).  How would other passengers feel?  I've tried to research this but can not find anything definitative other than "contact Royal directly".

That is definitely something to call Royal directly about. There are a very limited set of circumstances in which medical exemptions for masks can be considered, but they are very few and very far between (far fewer exemptions than most anti-mask people like to believe).

I think I saw this idea come up a while ago and I believe the idea was they shouldn't sail. I don't know if they were forced into cancellation but anyone who has a medical exemption from a mask most likely has a pre-existing respiratory weakness that would put them in the high risk category if they caught covid. For their safety, more than the safety of other passengers...they would probably be advised not to sail and offered refunds or FCCs i guess.

Unfortunately I feel this issue is negatively impacting folks with a valid medical reason because we have doctors that are willing to write notes for a small fee waiving mask requirements due to their political beliefs and greed.

This is an issue in Florida with mask requirements in school systems.  There are doctors who for $50 will write a note without ever seeing a patient, declaring the student has a medical reason to not wear a mask.  

Given how ridiculously easy it is to obtain a doctor's handwritten note it places companies like cruise lines in a very difficult position and it impacts the small number of people with a valid medical reason due to the fakers. 

Much like bogus service animal certificates impact valid service animals, bogus mask exemptions are impacting valid mask exemptions.