Testing worries

We (4 adults) are scheduled for a March 6 cruise.  We are Diamond  level so have cruised many times. However we are older and are very concerned about how to do these test and if we would pass since many have stated a bad test kit.  Were ok if we don't get to islands but are hopeful to see the shows. We understand there's no guarantee.  Any suggestions or recommendations on it? Are there any back up test if we get rejected at the port.  If we cant get on board most hotels are booked. Any comforting words?

1) Buy TWO proctored test kits per person. 2) Keep expectations in check. 3) Commit to being flexible. YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME!  Any break in one of those three legs and it won't work. That's is my advice. Currently, we are on our last day of a 7 nt. OASIS OS Western Caribbean and have had a fabulous time.

Hi @Steve Wikel, welcome to the forums!!

March is a lifetime away, in pandemic time, and so much can change between now and then.  

First, regarding the test kits - I'm confident that by March they will have exhausted all of the old tests (which are the ones that people are having issues with), so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Also it seems that Omicron passes through fairly quickly.  Whether it passes through the US as fast as it did through South Africa is anyone's guess, but I think even most epidemiologists feel that it won't be with us very long.  Will another variant raise its ugly head before March? It's anyone's guess.   But I think what we can count on is things will be different on March 6 than January 1.  How it will be different is unknown.

We're glad you joined us!

Regarding testing, have a back up plan.

For example, we have a January 30th cruise and this is what we are doing about testing:

-The local international airport hosts a company that does 2 hour pcr tests (at no cost) so we scheduled tests for the 28th. 

-As a backup, we have two 2-packs of the proctored home tests that expire in February if the airport tests fall through.  While they may seem intimidating, they are actually easy to do.  My wife needed to do one for our cruise back in November because her CVS one was inconclusive.

-We will be scheduling tests at either Walgreens or CVS as a backup to the backup. 

When you get onboard, have the mindset that just being onboard is the vacation and anything extra is a bonus.

Here’s a thought about the home test.  Buy one of the non-proctored Abbot BINAXnow ones and use it before you have to do the proctored one.  I’ve used a few of them and the components/procedures are identical to the proctored ones.   By using a non-proctored one as practice, you will be more familiar with how everything works. 

Locally, the non-proctored home tests are running around $22-$25 for a 2-pack and…interestingly enough, $9.99 for a single. 

Steve - you have received some good advice already.  I would also add that if you do use the proctored test, you do not have to be alone to take the test.  Feel free to have a family member or friend who is comfortable with technology be there with you.

I couldn't use my cell phone for the test so I had to log in on my husband's.  I couldn't even tell the proctor what kind of phone I have. 🤣 

And please know that lots of people are nervous about doing these tests for the first time.  The proctors we had slowly walk you through everything, weren't bothered as we repeated the instructions back as we did each step.

Raise your hand if you also counted out loud as you put 6 drops into the top hole on the test card.  😁

Finally know that they are helping you test for the ick that is going around and nothing else.  They didn't take any points off our results even when I was in the middle of my test session and my husband tried to make a tiny adjustment to the phone being held up with a tripod.....and the phone went flying across the desk.

Keep asking questions.  You will get lots of support on this board.

Happy New Cruising Year! 🎉

1 hour ago, NancyL2648 said:

Do we have to use the rapid antigen test that rock sells or can we order a rapid antigen test from say Amazon?if

As much as I often have a constant parade of Amazon vehicles arriving at my house there are things I won't buy on Amazon.  

There are a lot of fake products on Amazon.  Amazon doesn't care, they make money from them.

CV test kits are something I would never buy on Amazon.  

Good advice here, Steve. I would add, since I have spent the last few months helping a few “older adults,” that if you were able to find these boards, determine that it was worth asking your question here, then set up an account and return to the boards and post your questions, I am sure you will be able to navigate the proctored tests. You may be so comfortable with technology that you don’t realize how challenging those steps you just completed actually are for many older folks. 

I’m wishing you a hassle-free embarkation and a wonderful cruise

2 hours ago, Natalfaz said:

Can i ask ask these abbot test only for americans?  Or can any person from any country use them? 

Download the Navica app and see if you can create an account in your country. 

It could be the lawyers haven't done the work to get the legal agreements in place for every country around the world.  

The Abbott tests sold in stores are available in some other countries so it's not impossible the proctoroed ones are available outside of the US, or maybe the privacy agreements or some other medical agreement hasn't been approved if you don't have a US address.  

I'm not sure.  

4 hours ago, NancyL2648 said:

We have decided to purchase the test kits from Royal.  Just question...Is the proctered testing available 24/7?  Our flight is scheduled to land at 4pm...then a drive to our hotel. Then want to do the test.   Thank you for all the info...much appreciated.

May I ask why you wouldn't test before getting on the plane?    I'd hate to arrive somewhere, test and then find out I am positive.