Any Mask Recommendations?

RCARD

Still looking forward to to our upcoming Feb 6 Odyssey cruise, but with the recent increase in the CDC warning level we're starting evaluate our preparedness.

We're accustomed to adhering to mask requirements locally and was wondering if a change in type of masks used should be considered due to increased usage frequency.  

Any experience or suggestions?  Are different types of masks available on board?

Also is there anything else we should bring along?

As a teacher and a singer, I have to wear masks constantly while doing jobs that make wearing masks less than ideal.  Not as physically exerting as many other jobs to be sure, but having to project your voice and enunciate very clearly whilst masked isn't great.  I don't know about you, but to me the most annoying part about wearing masks are:

-having it press against your nose/mouth

-having it rub against the back of your ears

That's why I love these:

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Life-Face-Mask-Ultra-Breathable/dp/B08FXY962N/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=KYDY7R79C1QE&keywords=halo+mask&qid=1640978226&sprefix=halomask%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNEcyT0JVUTNaMzk5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDMyNTIwMUpSWUVBRUtGQUU5TSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjEwMzAxM09QVTRaNzROSDJEQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

They have a plastic post that runs down the middle of it so the fabric stays off your face (but not as extreme looking as the "bird beak" singer's masks or the N95s) and nice wide, adjustable ear straps so they don't irritate the backs of my ears.  They also have a removable filter for added protection.  They're not the cheapest masks, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for the comfort and design.  Just my two cents!

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 2.29.17 PM.png

Single layer flimsy masks won't cut it.  Neither will the Deuce Bigelow European Jiggle mask the Russian woman from Chernobyl as I saw a woman wearing one of these the first day on Liberty and the second day she was not.  Gaiters are not accepted either from my understanding.  

Before hopping on the ship we went and picked up some masks at Walmart because I truly wanted something that felt better and kept the pressure off the back of my ears.  We ended up finding these https://www.mission.com/collections/mission-masks/products/adjustable-sport-mask?variant=32730761396317 and LOVE them.  Being outside in the humidity was still a pain when breathing heavily but most of the time it was no issue to take it off when we were outside of the crowds.  It did rub just a touch across the bridge of my nose and after two weeks it was a bit tender but being a glasses wearer I already deal with enough on my ears.  

MISSION_AdjustableSportMask-04.jpg?v=163

I have a combination of cloth and disposable mask in my rotation. I brought these for my last cruise

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Disposable-Breathable-Multicolor-Protectors/dp/B08SLVCSH3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VS7SKKHPQZV1&keywords=purple+masks+disposable&qid=1640989187&sprefix=purple+masks+disposable%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-3

They are 3-ply and breathable. I wear glasses and had no issues with them fogging up because of the bendable nose part. The N95 are too expensive since mask wearing isn't an often thing for me. 

26 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have a combination of cloth and disposable mask in my rotation. I brought these for my last cruise

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Disposable-Breathable-Multicolor-Protectors/dp/B08SLVCSH3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VS7SKKHPQZV1&keywords=purple+masks+disposable&qid=1640989187&sprefix=purple+masks+disposable%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-3

They are 3-ply and breathable. I wear glasses and had no issues with them fogging up because of the bendable nose part. The N95 are too expensive since mask wearing isn't an often thing for me. 

Why I am not surprised you managed to track down some vibrant purple disposable masks! 😉👍🏼

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

I sing with a symphonic choir here in CT and we have singing  masks that fit to your face but create a pocket around your mouth to allow for better sound creation and breathing.

Most of the folks I sing with use something similar to this.  I tried one, and it's pretty effective, but it's so huge it actually ends up in my peripheral vision.  I just...can't. 😂

3070012-2.jpg

39 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

Most of the folks I sing with use something similar to this.  I tried one, and it's pretty effective, but it's so huge it actually ends up in my peripheral vision.  I just...can't. 😂

3070012-2.jpg

Ours is much smaller than that!  OMG that looks like the ones basketball refs wear so it fits their whistle!

My husband uses the kind that football coaches were wearing last year. He really likes it. I just used double cloth on Symphony last October but he’s getting me one like his for spring cruises. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/ncaa-football/news/nick-saban-ryan-day-masks-college-football-coaches/zwy9w7z4oc581enqn0a76ubhm

Switched over to duckbill N95 mask. Made in USA (only important for certifications).

I wear both glasses and hearing aids, and this mask has two separate straps that I can put the top strap on the crown of my head, rather than one contiguous earloop. I need this so that the strap/loop doesn't grab my $$$$ hearing aids and send them flying.

BTW, in the beginning of all this, 18 months ago, we were told to wear masks everywhere. When I tried to bicycle, it was like

• Helmet
  • Mask
  • Glasses
  • Hearing Aids
  • Choose any three

Usually, I took the hearing aids out into case and put them in the rack bag.

I was just reading a report today that stated cloth masks and single ply masks do very little to protect you against the Omicron virus.  I would get some N95 masks and wear them when you are around people.  That way your chance of enjoying the entire cruise is higher.  Amazon.com : N95 mask

I tend not to buy masks on Amazon due to their 3rd party commingling stock so you can’t ever be sure if it’s 100% authentic, but I get masks directly from from authorized distributors: KN95 masks bonafidemasks or KF94 masks from behealthyusa, Kollecte, or MaskLab. These style of masks are great for keeping the mask off your mouth. Different family members like different brands, but BOTN (adjustable ear loops), LG Airwasher (adjustable ear loops), and MaskLab (non-adjustable) are the ones we use most. Good luck and stay healthy!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 8:50 PM, Matt said:

FWIW, I buy KN95 masks from https://bonafidemasks.com/. There was concern from buying from some places is if they're legit or not. I'm sure that got sorted out, but their masks work and more comfortable than some of the masks I got from amazon once.

@Matt Thanks for the suggestion, we made an order about 10 days ago and are waiting for them to ship.  I'm sure experiences are different, but about how long has it taken for yours to ship in the past?  When i ordered, it said they try to ship within 3 days, but it could be delayed up to a week.  I'm not at the "panic point" yet, but will need these masks at some point in the "nearish" future.  Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

@Matt Thanks for the suggestion, we made an order about 10 days ago and are waiting for them to ship.  I'm sure experiences are different, but about how long has it taken for yours to ship in the past?  When i ordered, it said they try to ship within 3 days, but it could be delayed up to a week.  I'm not at the "panic point" yet, but will need these masks at some point in the "nearish" future.  Thanks!

Just FYI... I ordered mine on 1/3/22... shipped on 1/13/22... delivered on 1/18/22.

46 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

Just FYI... I ordered mine on 1/3/22... shipped on 1/13/22... delivered on 1/18/22.

Thanks!  I just checked my order email timestamp and it was late on the 10th, so we'll call it the 11th.  🙂 I'll give it until Monday to see if it gets updated and then I will start calling / emailing them for updates.