CDC 12/30/21 announcement

how much sway does the CDC have over the cruise industry?

From CNBC:

U.S. CDC says people should ‘avoid cruise travel, regardless of vaccination status’

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday advised people against travelling by cruise ship regardless of their vaccination status after a recent increase in positive Covid cases as the omicron variant sweeps the world. 

The CDC increased its travel warning for cruise ships to the highest level. The agency is currently investigating or observing dozens of cruise ships that have had Covid outbreaks.

• gavin923 changed the title to CDC 12/30/21 announcement

I am taking this as serious as "Quarantine for 2 weeks to lessen the curve". 

So on the other hand the vaccination is not a real vaccination per se, it is more like a cough drop, it will prevent the symptoms but will not stop you from getting or spreading the virus. But once you have had it you should have Immunity per science prior to Covid which people like the CRC are not remembering.

So where does this leave us, same as prior to Covid, when you go on a cruise you take an inherent risk of everything a cruise could possibly cause. You might break a leg, net the norovirus, slip and fall or now get Covid.

My mom just called to tell me of the CDC’s recommendation and all of you expressed the same thoughts as I did about it. I was more concerned while eating at Cracker Barrel today than being on a ship. Heck, it’s more concerning for me to be at a sporting event or church than it will be on the cruise. They are more wrong than right and I am totally looking forward to cruising on January 9th. 

1 hour ago, SPS said:
Ok, cool. So what’s the warning level for the following?
Airports
Airplanes
Sporting events
Concert venues
Movie theaters
Shopping malls
Grocery stores
Large chain retail stores
Amusement parks
Public transportation
Restaurants
Bars
Resorts

Oh no you are perfectly safe going inside all of those establishments and taking those modes of transportation. 

The only thing where there is increase risks of COVID exposure is on a cruise ship per the CDC.  For an agency that claims to follow the science and the data why then do they continue to single out the cruise industry when both the science and the data shows lower risks of COVID exposure on a cruise ship than any where on land. They are still trying to use COVID to gut the cruise industry and it totally unfair.

The CDC is a joke.

OMG! I'm in love (in a very non-bad way) with all the respondents to this string. Common sense, fact driven, straightforward logic. The cruise ship is the safest place to be during this high sniffle event. All passengers and crew are tested, almost all are vaccinated, and all are aware of the facts. Nothing scares the fearmongers more than this group!

5 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Oh no you are perfectly safe going inside all of those establishments and taking those modes of transportation. 

The only thing where there is increase risks of COVID exposure is on a cruise ship per the CDC.  For an agency that claims to follow the science and the data why then do they continue to single out the cruise industry when both the science and the data shows lower risks of COVID exposure on a cruise ship than any where on land. They are still trying to use COVID to gut the cruise industry and it totally unfair.

The CDC is a joke.

Maybe CDC staff wants to scoop up the stock when pricing falls.

There is clear bias from the CDC. 

I have flown, stayed in hotels, been to WDW, and cruised this year and I only felt safe on one. 

I have stayed in a hotel 5x this year. Twice it was a resort that offered only basic cleaning. The other times if you weren't staying a certain number of nights, they wouldn't clean at all. None of them require vaxx records or a negative test

I didn't have to show negative test results to get into Universal or Disney. Nobody was practicing social distancing; in fact, many were eating in drinking in the lines so they wouldn't have to keep their mask on while inside.

On Allure everyday crews were not only cleaning the rooms but wiping down touchpoints on the regular.

I know several families that tested positive from coming back from theme parks over the holidays. No news about that. Nope let's focus on 60/5000 cases where none were severe. Every activity is a risk. 

You know the gooberment, never let a good (insert whatever happened here) go to waste.  Then do everything you can to scare people in some way to get them in their own way to save the (insert whatever needs to be saved here).

This is the same BS that happens all the time.  If the CDC wants to be truly taken seriously they will require testing of all flight crew, train crews, bus crews, etc. before and after travel and will also require negative tests to board anything that is a mode of transit for more than 5 miles.  Same goes for people working at any place where large numbers of people will attend.  Level the playing field so ALL industries are required to have the same requirements.  After they do that they can start causing issues and raising alerts.  Till they do the CDC is a dumpster fire that needs to get put out at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have stayed in a hotel 5x this year. None of them require vax records or a negative test

I didn't have to show negative test results to get into Universal or Disney. 

Airlines too.

Maybe we need to start asking our congressional representatives why only cruise lines are singled out so stringently. 

I think the cruise ships are the last bastion of control the CDC has left. So they cling to that control because when this is all over, their moment in the spotlight, their fierce grip, is gone.  Too bad they don’t understand that for many of us, we hear circus music in our heads when they come out with their latest statements on cruise ships…and nothing about other close contact activities.  

The CDC, and the WHO, have no idea how much damage they have done to their reputations during COVID. 

My questions are to anybody who is on a RC cruise now.  Are you really having to wear your mask from the time that you leave your cabin to the time you get back except for when you are "actively eating" or even just sitting beside the pool?  Is RC cancelling the entertainment?  Are the water slides closed?  We sail on the 9th and are concerned.

In my opinion…this action by the CDC was forced by a very powerful senator who has been on an anti-cruise crusade for years. His recent publicity-generating criticism of the CDC regarding it’s cooperation with the cruise industry, and what he describes as the CDC’s ‘failure to do it’s job’ by not pausing (aka/shutting down) the industry is based solely on headlines and not on that ‘science’ they’re always pointing to. So, to placate someone who is directly involved with their funding….oh, well. That’s politics.
And to add a little more perspective to this…this person has been under a lot of critical scrutiny this past month over attending a certain event. He has been pretty much in silent mode since then, trying to let it subside. So now one of his first public statements is one of diversion. Typical ploy. Check it out…google it. Again…just my opinion. Feel free to disagree or, in the event this is considered too political, delete it. 
By the way….cruising’s positivity rate is near or below 1%. His Petri dish-state is currently at 20%. So it’s 20 times more dangerous to be in his state. Maybe his constituents should flee to the safety of a cruise ship. 

16 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

The CDC is a joke.

Obviously you guys are a lot tougher than us jocks! 

We can only have 1000 at a sporting event in a 60000 capacity stadium but we can have 200 at a wedding in a tent lol 

Nightclubs? Well they're all shut for 3 weeks because everyone knows covid only attacks between the hours of 11pm and 4am! Nightclubs in England are still open so lots of Scots crossing the border tonight for a knees up!

36 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm hearing rumblings of a vaccine mandate coming to the airlines soon....but the airlines have a much more aggressive (and effective) lobby than the cruise lines which is why the airlines have been spared up until now.

There won't be a vaccine mandate on airlines. Airlines hate the idea and they're way too powerful.

17 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

The CDC is a joke.

I hate to come off as a crazy conspiracy theorist but what is that saying by politicians?  Never let a good crisis goto waste.

That said IMHO I think the bias toward the cruise ship industry is the negative view and overstated negative impact cruise ships have on the environment.  So its a great industry for certain politicians to target and hate. 

All of us here know the cruise ships tend to be cleaner and better sanitized than any land based resort and that was pre-covid, can only imagine protocols have improved beyond pre covid days.  Most of the ignorant and negative commentary comes from people who have likely never cruised.  But what do I know.  Rant over. 

I'm all for doing my part to protect myself, my family, and my community and we've been relatively strict on following the sensible things, masks, vaccines, and the like. Truth be told we debated our upcoming cruise at the end of January a touch after seeing the CDC statement, however, it made no sense IMO. I have kids in school, I'm certain there's more risk in that than a ship with clear guidelines and requirements which is more than the schools here currently have. We have been waiting for this break for sometime now and unless things really take an unexpected turn we've decided not to change plans. 

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm hearing rumblings of a vaccine mandate coming to the airlines soon....but the airlines have a much more aggressive (and effective) lobby than the cruise lines which is why the airlines have been spared up until now.

You are absolutely right.  The airlines have been far more aggressive than the cruise industry in fighting the CDC from the very beginning of this pandemic. I said this when I first joined this blog site in 2020 COVID did not arrive in the US via cruise ship it arrive via airplanes. And I get the irony I work in the airline industry but I'm fighting for the cruise industry because I firmly believe the cruise industry has been scapegoated, unfairly targeted, shut down, dragged through the mud, held to a higher standard just to resume operations, not given a dime in bailout money (I could go on for days) all while the airline industry has positioned themselves as necessity to keep the economic engine of America running and therefore should not be subjected to any CDC oversight. What a ******* joke!!!

Although Fauci continue to throw around the idea of a vaccine mandate in order to travel domestically within this country I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say it will never happened in this country because there isn't a single airline in favor of it.  The airlines in this country want the public to believe they all compete against each other, they don't like one another but that is an illusion.  The truth is this nations airlines have a powerful lobbing machine in Washington D.C. perhaps not as powerful as the NRA but close to it.  And that machine has been working overtime since the beginning of this pandemic to keep CDC and Fauci at bay.  The unfortunate truth is cruise lines pale in comparison when it comes to the power the nations airlines wield.  And that is just the nations airlines lets not even talk about the hotel industry.  My husband and I went again to Las Vegas in mid December stayed at the Venetian yet the CDC wants me to believe I'm SAFER at the Venetian in Las Vegas than on a cruise ship with vaccine mandates, negative COVID test 2 days before boarding, 60% capacity, social distancing at all venues, and more. 

Oh I can't stop laughing at this bull(fill in the blank).

47 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

You are absolutely right.  The airlines have been far more aggressive than the cruise industry in fighting the CDC from the very beginning of this pandemic. I said this when I first joined this blog site in 2020 COVID did not arrive in the US via cruise ship it arrive via airplanes. And I get the irony I work in the airline industry but I'm fighting for the cruise industry because I firmly believe the cruise industry has been scapegoated, unfairly targeted, shut down, dragged through the mud, held to a higher standard just to resume operations, not given a dime in bailout money (I could go on for days) all while the airline industry has positioned themselves as necessity to keep the economic engine of America running and therefore should not be subjected to any CDC oversight. What a ******* joke!!!

Although Fauci continue to throw around the idea of a vaccine mandate in order to travel domestically within this country I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say it will never happened in this country because there isn't a single airline in favor of it.  The airlines in this country want the public to believe they all compete against each other, they don't like one another but that is an illusion.  The truth is this nations airlines have a powerful lobbing machine in Washington D.C. perhaps not as powerful as the NRA but close to it.  And that machine has been working overtime since the beginning of this pandemic to keep CDC and Fauci at bay.  The unfortunate truth is cruise lines pale in comparison when it comes to the power the nations airlines wield.  And that is just the nations airlines lets not even talk about the hotel industry.  My husband and I went again to Las Vegas in mid December stayed at the Venetian yet the CDC wants me to believe I'm SAFER at the Venetian in Las Vegas than on a cruise ship with vaccine mandates, negative COVID test 2 days before boarding, 60% capacity, social distancing at all venues, and more. 

Oh I can't stop laughing at this bull(fill in the blank).

To add my 2 cents to your well written view, IMO all of this comes down to money and when that happens following actual science, common sense and true risk assessment goes out the window, hence demonizing the cruise industry and losing many peoples faith in the CDC's latest proclamation 

3 hours ago, SchrodingersThought said:

I'm all for doing my part to protect myself, my family, and my community and we've been relatively strict on following the sensible things, masks, vaccines, and the like. Truth be told we debated our upcoming cruise at the end of January a touch after seeing the CDC statement, however, it made no sense IMO. I have kids in school, I'm certain there's more risk in that than a ship with clear guidelines and requirements which is more than the schools here currently have. We have been waiting for this break for sometime now and unless things really take an unexpected turn we've decided not to change plans. 

Sadly there is risk in every day life.  We all know it and accept it.  I mean if you really sit down and think about it the world and society as we know it is a penny being spun on the tip of a needle and we do our best to stay in balance though at any time it could start to wobble and who knows eventually fall off.  

As a whole people are panicky creatures who will spook at the smallest of things and then jump to conclusions.  Everyone has a solution but no one can truly guarantee that their solution will fix the problems.  Honestly think about movies for a little bit, things like World War Z and I am Legend for a few.  We have messed with a lot of things and do things without fully understanding what will happen long term.  The vaccine could cause major changes and end up turning the world into a bunch of zombies.  You could also step out to check the mail and have an old lady in a big ol Suburban have a seizure and crash through your yard at 60 mph taking you and half your house out.  Every day we weigh risks and 99% of people deem them acceptable the other 1% think we are all nuts for doing so.  

It's not fair, I get it. Those with the most money and lobbying power, wins. 

But if we want to continue to travel via cruise ship, we may need to be prepared for any upcoming changes to the protocols as this develops.  This perhaps could mean they will ask for proof of booster shots next, if you qualify.  I have mine scheduled for at least 2 weeks before my next cruise, just in case. 

20 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

If the CDC wants to be truly taken seriously

I just saw this and almost spewed my drink all over my screen.  

The CDC doesn't care about being taken seriously.  Sorry.  

10 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Didn't "they" float that idea in the summer and realized everyone would be fired if they pursued it?  Are they still floating that balloon?  No worries, I'm not even sure there is any agency that can do that.  Congress is responsible for interstate travel.  Haha.  The thought of Congress floating this idea briefly popped into my head.   LOL.  I think this rumor surfaced during the last admin and the same logic applies in the current admin.  

49 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Nope, the Mouse gets a pass!

Right after I got off the Brilliance on Christmas Eve, I headed to Epcot, mainly to watch the Candlelight Processional.  As they were lining us up, the usher kept on saying, please fill every available space.  It was so different from what I kept hearing on Brilliance - "Social distancing, please."  They wouldn't even let us form the "train" during the 70s party ha ha.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:13 AM, MickeyDog said:

My questions are to anybody who is on a RC cruise now.  Are you really having to wear your mask from the time that you leave your cabin to the time you get back except for when you are "actively eating" or even just sitting beside the pool?  Is RC cancelling the entertainment?  Are the water slides closed?  We sail on the 9th and are concerned.

I shared my experience with the new mask rules here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/12/26/navigator-of-the-seas-live-blog-day-2-sea-day