a bit confused about Labadee

cjappert

I was there this past February. No, you do not have to "book an excursion to lay on a lounge chair". You can rent them from the attendants on the beach as well as clam shell shelters if you want lots of shade. 

The beach we were on was on the cove side and you could see the cruise ship. Very calm, little breeze and not much of a view. From what I saw while walking around, the ocean side beaches were nicer. Cleaner water, some waves, nice view. There are shuttle carts that will carry you from the dock to the beach you want. 

All of the food and beverages comes off of the cruise ship. The barbecue lunch was great!

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, RestingBirds said:

It's not just BBQ.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's hot dogs, hamburgers, and BBQ ribs, with various sides.

LOL! I was raised to include hot dogs and burgers in the "BBQ" food group, right up there with ribs, chicken, steaks, etc.  :3_grin:

Yes, there is bbq, dogs, and burgers. But MANAGE your expectations. On our Labadee day (Oasis only ship in port), the lines at noon were huge, so we waited till 1:30 when lines shortened. There was a reason they were shorter. By that time there was NO BBQ to be had, and most other things were gone as well. Only burgers, dogs, and a couple salad type items left. So unfortunately our memory is not as fond of the Labadee BBQ. But, headed back to ship, and did much better there.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

LOL! I was raised to include hot dogs and burgers in the "BBQ" food group, right up there with ribs, chicken, steaks, etc.  :3_grin:

lol, no worries.  Maybe it's a southern thing, or not, but with some people I know you have to be specific.  A cookout could include some bbq.  My wife is actually allergic to bbq sauce, so maybe that's why I differentiate between the two.

6 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

lol, no worries.  Maybe it's a southern thing, or not, but with some people I know you have to be specific.  A cookout could include some bbq.  My wife is actually allergic to bbq sauce, so maybe that's why I differentiate between the two.

Heh, here in NJ I don't think we differentiate between "uses bbq sauce" or not, just if it's cooked on the grill with charcoal then it's a barbecue. I don't count cooking with gas on the grill, that's just an outside range top. ?