Should I cancel my March Cruise?

Eli3

Hi all,

I have a Western Caribbean cruise booked on Symphony of the Seas in March  but after reading a lot from you on this forum and hearing of all the cruise changes I'm worried I made a mistake.

Can anybody who has gone on this cruise recently (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Puerto Costa Maya) give me any feedback? Were you able to port? Really hoping to go on excursions, that's really the big reason for booking.

Also, was your entertainment/dining on board still functioning and worth it?

Any feedback would be appreciated as my husband is military and we don't have much flexibility in changing vacation time so we need to decide asap. Thank you all!!

I think it's too early to make this call. If you go back 3 weeks, there really were no issues. Everything that is going on is really the perfect storm of a much more contagious variant and increased capacity due to the holidays. 

However if you are unable to be flexible and want a guarantee that these things won't affect your sailing, cruising is probably not a good choice at this time. 

I agree with everyone that it is too early to know how things will be in March. 

That said, I just returned from a cruise to cozumel,  roatan and Costa maya. Everything was open and the excursions went off as normal.  The masking rules weren't always clear, but the ports were otherwise normal. 

@Eli3

If you can imagine the shows could possibly be canceled & your ports of call possibly canceled & still enjoy the sailing without these things then go for it. These last few sailings have been impacted but before that it was pretty much as close to a normal sailing as you could get knowing the protocols & being comfortable enough to follow them. If the $$ you spent on this vacation has you struggling with possible changes as mentioned above, please put it off. 

I feel like we may be out of the woods by then but it's just a gut feeling nothing more. I am also mostly a glass half full kind of person & like @twangsternoted how are you getting there? We were all on the Odyssey last week and had an enjoyable sailing, not what we expected but I have first hand knowledge of how it can be done and how to make the most out of it. 

The truth is we just don't know, it's such a personal decision. Only you know your comfort levels, but if you are looking for a sailing expecting what we were used to close to pre plandemic, I would wait until the warmer months. Be comfortable in your decision, but March may very well look so much different then now. 

I would not cancel a March sailing but I could sit on my balcony and stare at the water for days......and I drive to the Florida ports.

42 minutes ago, twangster said:

Welcome to the message boards.

Are you flying to cruise or driving?

If driving there is little reason to make a decision this far away.

If flying that does make it a little more complicated.  If flying you may want to look into Air2Sea to see if provides more flexibility.

We will be driving, I just didn't want to wait and be out my $500 deposit. I appreciate your feedback!

@Baked Alaska yes! so happy you are enjoying, and so happy you were able to disembark. My daughters "friend whose a boy" (she is 15 NO DATING, ugh)  dad is celebrating his 50th birthday on the Oasis during Spring Break, of course we were invited and his mom is a local TA setting up a "group sailing" and all Mr. Cabash said was he would allow us to attend IF he didn't have to go see CATS again. I chucked at your response. Have fun, enjoy the sunshine & rest of your Star class journey. I didn't "win" any of my bids yet, I am now 0 for 8! I'm so happy for you!!

Cats Watching GIF

It's a tough decision right now.

We have a cruise we can drive to in 3 weeks and one we have to fly to in 6 weeks.  We are still planning on going but will book airfare on Southwest so we have ability to cancel if needed.   But if the momentum of the new variant continues, we may cancel one or both.    Hate to lose the double C & A points but both of us still work and have limited vacation time......gotta make those days count!!

Fortunately you have some time before making a decision. 

We have a March Cruise and did the list of things that can happen between now and then.

1. COVID drops back down and mask are lifted.  Back to normal if you will we are going.
  2. COVID stays the same mask and policy is the same.  Still going
  3. Ports start closing to US ships.  Depends on which ones, may cancel
  4. Royal has repeated outbreaks that cause port cancelations, will cancel
  5. CDC issues another no sail due to a masssive outbreak. choice is removed from us.

The biggest fear for us is contracting covid on vacation so our trip is half done and canceled.  The second is the ship staff/other passengers gets covid and the experience is less than the value we paid for. 

We are also up in the air about our March cruise.  To be honest, not hopeful.  For us, we can, and are planning on driving so don't need to worry about air fare and can just see how things go over the next couple months (and buys us time to decide).  Final payment is mid Feb.  At that point if it's still a maybe, then we may pay it off (FCC) and ride it out as Royal has the 48 hr cancellation.  Or if things are still very bad with omnicron, we'll just cancel and try again end of the year (we have a backup one booked but it's much more $$$).  We are ok with masks and protocols but to be honest, would suck is no shows and limited activities.  Also, if we catch it, we can drive ourselves home, which is a big factor on the plus side....but, if we are hearing of many getting quarantined for "close contact" or other during the cruise, then we will cancel.

For you, it depends...are you ok if you miss those ports?  Do you drive or need to fly to the port?  Are you ok with a lesser ship experience with things not running or limited?  When if your final payment?  You can at least wait until then and cancel (before) if you decide.

I am with @smokeybanditon this one.  March is way too far away (in covid world) to make any assumptions or plans at this point.  Too many things can happen and change the trajectory of things no point worrying about it right now. 

We have a March cruise booked.  It is one that I have been looking forward to for over two years.  Booked it upon release.  At this point only two things will force me to cancel:  border closes again or Canadian government implements another quarantine upon return.  Both those things I cannot control or predict. 

No point thinking about it right now.  We can handle the rest (covid protocols, entertainment/port cancellations, etc.).  We are perfectly content going on a cruise to nowhere, that sounds perfect!

3 hours ago, Eli3 said:

Hi all,

I have a Western Caribbean cruise booked on Symphony of the Seas in March  but after reading a lot from you on this forum and hearing of all the cruise changes I'm worried I made a mistake.

Can anybody who has gone on this cruise recently (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Puerto Costa Maya) give me any feedback? Were you able to port? Really hoping to go on excursions, that's really the big reason for booking.

Any feedback would be appreciated as my husband is military and we don't have much flexibility in changing vacation time so we need to decide asap. Thank you all!!

We are currently aboard the Harmony. Our itinerary is almost the same. We are not going to Belize. We were in Cozumel yesterday, no problem getting off the ship and walking about on our own. The only restrictions we have is to obey all the local mask ordinances. Today we are in Roatan and able to get off and explore on our own. Tomorrow is Costa Maya. So far, so good. But each day is a new adventure. 

3 hours ago, Eli3 said:

Hi all,

We are sailing 5 February and have decided to pay off our balance and check in. We have a Mexico-Roatan-Belize itinerary and believe some ports will be open.  I think you'll be OK for March, but that is just a guess.  Also, please relay my thanks to your husband for his service!  One last thought - I recommend you consider trip insurance if you don't yet have it and decide to proceed with the cruise.

50 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am with @smokeybanditon this one.  March is way too far away (in covid world) to make any assumptions or plans at this point.  Too many things can happen and change the trajectory of things no point worrying about it right now. 

We have a March cruise booked.  It is one that I have been looking forward to for over two years.  Booked it upon release.  At this point only two things will force me to cancel:  border closes again or Canadian government implements another quarantine upon return.  Both those things I cannot control or predict. 

No point thinking about it right now.  We can handle the rest (covid protocols, entertainment/port cancellations, etc.).  We are perfectly content going on a cruise to nowhere, that sounds perfect!

Similar thoughts with border and quarantine.

Btw.  We ended up cancelling Oasis and will go with anthem if we go due to being able to drive. Too bad though as it would have been great to meet you 

We are going on Symphony the 3rd week of February (Me, wife, kids, sister, grandparents).  This was a lift and shift from last February.  Everyone in our group is vaccinated and boosted, and no one has any health issues.  At this point, I don't care if all the ports are closed and all the shows on board are cancelled, they could park the ship in the middle of the ocean for a week, as long as the bars and restaurants on board are open, then we are going!  It's better than sitting at home for another winter break.  It is a personal decision for sure and everyone is different.

Kids are getting older, grandparents are getting older, etc.  You can't get the years back.  That's how I feel.    

3 hours ago, Eli3 said:

We will be driving, I just didn't want to wait and be out my $500 deposit. I appreciate your feedback!

Assuming you have a non-refundable deposit the normal (non-pandemic) answer with a non-refundable deposit would be $100 penalty per person with the balance offered in the form of a future cruise credit (FCC).

For a March 2022 cruise there is the Cruise with Confidence program that would return 100% of your deposit in the form of future cruise credit.  In this sense there is no penalty fee but a pure refund is not an option, the credit comes in the form of an FCC.  You can exercise CWC up to 48 hours before sailing.

Here is where it starts to go a little sideways.

FCC has to be applied by the end of May 2022 for a cruise sometime in 2022 or one year from the original cruise date.

Here's the catch - it takes Royal between 2 and 6 months to issue future cruise credit.  If you cancel a March 2022 cruise you may not receive the FCC before it has expired since it has to be applied prior to May 31, 2022.    Logic would suggest that Royal would allow you to apply an FCC received in June that expired in May but if they do you won't have a lot of time to think about it, you'll need to apply the FCC the instant you get it or you may lose the value of the FCC.  

It takes Royal a very long time to issue FCC.  Because of how long it can take them, and the subsequent phone calls to get it corrected to the right amount, the effective window to consider using CWC is now.  The door is closing over the next couple of weeks even though it seems like the CWC program is supposed to cover cruises through May 2022.

So you are very wise to consider your options today and making a plan.

As much as I love Royal Caribbean cruises the FCC process is atrocious and absolutely ridiculous.   

5 hours ago, Eli3 said:

Hi all,

Please DO NOT base a March sailing on the current situation. If it’s of any use, we are currently sailing this itinerary and in Cozumel today with no cancellations noted. Today was an amazing day spent on the beach with my family. 

57477D03-6D5A-4FF7-A4B0-8033DF75398A.jpeg

FFC0AC2F-3B61-409D-85A8-A23CE7C46515.jpeg

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

We are sailing 5 February and have decided to pay off our balance and check in. We have a Mexico-Roatan-Belize itinerary and believe some ports will be open.  I think you'll be OK for March, but that is just a guess.  Also, please relay my thanks to your husband for his service!  One last thought - I recommend you consider trip insurance if you don't yet have it and decide to proceed with the cruise.

I appreciate your thanks and your input!!

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Assuming you have a non-refundable deposit the normal (non-pandemic) answer with a non-refundable deposit would be $100 penalty per person with the balance offered in the form of a future cruise credit (FCC).

For a March 2022 cruise there is the Cruise with Confidence program that would return 100% of your deposit in the form of future cruise credit.  In this sense there is no penalty fee but a pure refund is not an option, the credit comes in the form of an FCC.  You can exercise CWC up to 48 hours before sailing.

Here is where it starts to go a little sideways.

FCC has to be applied by the end of May 2022 for a cruise sometime in 2022 or one year from the original cruise date.

Here's the catch - it takes Royal between 2 and 6 months to issue future cruise credit.  If you cancel a March 2022 cruise you may not receive the FCC before it has expired since it has to be applied prior to May 31, 2022.    Logic would suggest that Royal would allow you to apply an FCC received in June that expired in May but if they do you won't have a lot of time to think about it, you'll need to apply the FCC the instant you get it or you may lose the value of the FCC.  

It takes Royal a very long time to issue FCC.  Because of how long it can take them, and the subsequent phone calls to get it corrected to the right amount, the effective window to consider using CWC is now.  The door is closing over the next couple of weeks even though it seems like the CWC program is supposed to cover cruises through May 2022.

So you are very wise to consider your options today and making a plan.

As much as I love Royal Caribbean cruises the FCC process is atrocious and absolutely ridiculous.   

If our way of living allowed us to just wait until the 48 hour cancellation time frame and take the refund in the form of a rescheduled cruise we definitely would! Unfortunately with work and not living by family, it's a little more tricky to find someone to take the kids for a week straight on your one free week of the year. 😅 I definitely agree, the FCC process seems painful. Thank you for your input!

I have a cruise the end of January, to each their own, I have lost 2 due to covid, dont want to cancel, but I enjoy the excursions and seeing new places, just hoping I can get of the boat, keep your cruise if you feel comfortable.

49 minutes ago, Eli3 said:

If our way of living allowed us to just wait until the 48 hour cancellation time frame and take the refund in the form of a rescheduled cruise we definitely would! Unfortunately with work and not living by family, it's a little more tricky to find someone to take the kids for a week straight on your one free week of the year. 😅 I definitely agree, the FCC process seems painful. Thank you for your input!

I have a child in the services, I get it.

Thank you for your service.  

5 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Good morning from Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. BeUtiful, 83 degrees.

Our Aqua 80s and Cats shows on Oasis have been canceled.  I'm fine with that. Not a Cats fan and there will be other opportunities for Aqua 80s (HELLO DEC 2022 WONDER RCG GROUP CRUISE!) 

20211229_105128.jpg

I was there 3 weeks ago. I think in the exact same chairs!! Go in the pool too if you can. Its not salt water and has a swim up bar!

We've got a B2B booked for April, I'm optimistic that if things aren't back to pre-pandemic they will atleast be close to the protocols we had on the Adventure in August.  In fact just booked my flights and pre-cruise hotel today.  I hope that the eastern ports will be open, and pretty confident the Mexican ports will still be open, but if not I'll just sit on my balcony watching that beautiful blue Caribbean sea roll by.

We’ve got March 18 on Wonder. Driving to port. Planning to go. We’ve done this itinerary (eastern Caribbean) 8 times now so if we don’t stop, it’s not a big deal. Although I will be disappointed to miss CocoCay again as we couldn’t dock due to high winds/seas back in October on Symphony. 

If you look at the history of this virus, it tends to run in waves of 3 months. December-February last year was bad, cases went way down March-May. Then Delta hit June-August. We were good through the fall, then Omicron in December. I expect by February we will heading back to better times. 

I’m an optimist 😁 

I would say wait until final payment is due, if you can, and then decide. Since protocols have been announced through March you can cancel for a refund.

Now on a personal note......my belief is that this is our new normal. Things won't go back to the way they were in 2019. They will adjust to be better eventually but for now this is our normal. Therefore, I will continue to cruise. IMHO the land vacations I have taken have required just as much patience. March is more than 8wks away and plenty can change in either direction. 

10 hours ago, AndrewPunch said:

The biggest fear for us is contracting covid on vacation so our trip is half done and canceled

Fear not, don’t let your heart be troubled.  Cruise ship contraction are infinitesimal small (<1%) compared to anything on land.  Don’t be afraid, go enjoy life and live without fear.  Have fun, you are safer than your local grocery store.

I understand your stress. It’s hard to decide. Although I too think it’s the safest way to travel ( I compared our nov 27th sailing to being back at work in the OR…tons of hand sanitizer just keep using it!) I think right now things seems “scary”.  No one wants to spend days in their cabin or lose all ports or shows at the last minute. But cruises really are the best!
it’s not nearly as soon as you, but we want to book July 1st on oasis and I was fully ready to book, but my husband want to wait a few weeks. Personally I need something tangible to look forward to. 
I hope you make a decision that works for you ( and more so I hope you cruise and have a blast!)

If you are uncertain at the final payment date whether you will get what you want out of your cruise, postpone/cancel it. You are putting your hard earned money (and quite a bit of it) toward a service and you should get what you pay for.
After our sailing over Christmas, we contacted our TA and let her know that we would cancel our summer cruise at final payment date if the amenities did not open up. I understand RC’s position on flexibility, but paying full price for a sailing with limited offerings felt really bad.

Just got off harmony nye cruise 12/26 - 01/02, made all ports of call for roatan, cozumel, costa maya, and coco cay. Everything went great. I don't care about "entertainment" at all on board as I think it is super cringey and bad, on all cruise ships, so I didn't care not one bit for grease being cancelled due to covid on board. This was the only thing that really happened on the harmony. The other shows were a little reduced or rescheduled I heard, but I didn't go to any shows so I am not for sure but it is what I heard. So if you have a problem with entertainment being rearranged or cancelled, it is bound to probably happen. It had no impact on me, but some people care about this a lot. The possibility of missing ports can happen but most of the time it won't, in my opinion. All i look for on a cruise is to hot tub, drink, specialty dine, and tan and visit ports. If you're like me, than by all means don't cancel, it was absolutely fantastic.