Emed and Optum covid test expiration dates tracker.

MuttMutt

A lot of us are purchasing tests and I know we have been posting expiration dates and such but I was thinking it might be a good idea to start tracking purchase dates, shipping times and expiration dates so we can see if old tests are getting out of circulation.  Personally I want to purchase a 6 pack as I have a cruise in February and November but have been putting off making a purchase for as long as possible to hopefully get tests that will cover both dates.

So if you have purchased some tests please try to post where you have purchased them from, the date purchased, the shipping time if longer than 2 days from purchase and approval to receipt, and the expiration date of the tests you have received so we can try to track them a little bit.  Plus since it seems that covid is sticking around for a while longer it will help us see if there are starting to be issues with shipping and new kits being made.

1. Purchased from:  (Emed or Optum or other if available)

2. Order date: MM/DD/YY

3. Approval date: MM/DD/YY

4. Shipped date: MM/DD/YY

5. Received date: MM/DD/YY

6. Expiration date: MM/DD/YY

Please post once tests are in hand only and keep this to a data only thread so we can track easier.  I will try to take a look and the post for what seems to be the expected times from each place.  If there are places outside the US feel free to add them into the thread but I don't know if I will track them unless I get a few results from them.

Ok and we now have guidance for tests expiration dates.  Tests are being allowed a 15 month window from manufacture date till expiration date.  Be aware that tests made after the approval date could have an expiration date on the label that is 15 months from when it was made.  DO NOT COUNT ON TESTS HAVING A 3 MONTH EXTENSION!!!  You MUST look at the dates when they were made and figure 15 months from that date.  Assuming a test is good for another 3 months is an easy way to have a lot of heartache.

The FDA approval letter is available here:  https://www.fda.gov/media/155326/download

An article with more information is available here:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/fda-extends-expiration-abbott-at-home-covid-test/

Emed Results information.

Time from order to approval:  Same day to next day but usually within 15 minutes.

Time from approval to shipment:  Approximately 1 to 3 days

Shipping time:  Approximately 2 to 4 days  -- Currently seeing some delay's in shipping and notifications are hit and miss.

Expiration dates: 9th of December of 2022 till the 23rd of January 2023.

This information will be updated as more info comes in.  It will also become more accurate the more data that comes in.  The expiration dates are a range over the last couple months of information.  It should be a first one in first one out system but it is possible that some orders will not get the latest expiration dates.

Last updated 2-2-22

Optum Results Information

Time from order to approval:  Same Day

Time from approval to shipment:  Same Day to Next Day

Shipping time:  Approximately 2 to 4 Days

Expiration dates:  November 6th to the 20th of 2022 -- Read Notes

Note: Optum may be sending out tests with a 3 month extension but the tests may still be old stock with expirations already past.   This now seems to be cleared up but could still be an issue based on latest information.  The expiration dates are a range over the last couple months of information.  It should be a first one in first one out system but it is possible that some orders will not get the latest expiration dates.

Have not been seeing data on the orders and expiration dates lately so until someone purchases some I can not be sure when the expiration dates are.  We do not know how quickly they are going through stock so we have to assume tests will still have printed expiration dates of November of 2022.  There is an extension that gives tests a 15 month window but I do not want data including that information ONLY the printed date on the package.

Last updated 2-2-22

USPS tests are shipping.  No direct information about the brands or their usability to get on a ship or plane or anything else.  These should be considered for pre testing if you will be traveling a few days before your cruise plans.  This way you can use the proctored tests while away but be confident that you are likely not covid positive before leaving.

If other ship to home tests become available they will be added here or in another post.

Currently the free tests shipped by the USPS are taking from a few days to a few weeks to ship.  Expiration dates are currently around June of 2022.

13 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

Emed Results information

1. Purchased from eMed via their website using my account.

2. Ordered Sunday December 26…0849am.

3. Approved Sunday December 26…0901am.

4. Shipped Sunday December 26…via FedEx.

5. Received Tuesday December 28 at 1146am (security camera).

6. Production Date 12/22/2021…Expiration Date 11/21/2022

1. Purchased from:  Emed

2. Order date: 12/27/21

3. Approval date: 12/27/21 (2 minutes after order)

4. Shipped date: MM/DD/YY (never provided)

5. Received date: 12/30/21

6. Expiration date: 11/06/22

Order in limbo.  No shipping information as of 12/29/21.  

EDIT: FedEx appeared with them on 12/30/21.  I was never provided shipping info and even now my eMed account shows shipping as "pending".

The good news is they were manufactured just before Xmas so they have a longer expiration date.

Yours expire that soon @SpeedNoodles? I ordered a week later on Emed and ours have 11/2022 expiration dates on the box

1. Purchased from:  Emed 

2. Order date: Monday, December 20th (11:03am)

3. Approval date: Monday, December 20th (11:17am)

4. Shipped date: No Shipping Notice Given. Must have been Wednesday, December 22. (Was informed on Monday 12/20, 8:54pm that "Due to FedEx’s limited capacity as a result of the holiday shipping surge, your test kits may be delayed by up to 4 days")

5. Received date: Thursday, December 23

6. Expiration date: November 6, 2022

As long as neither of us has to use a second test, we'll have tests for our August Alaskan cruise. (Fingers crossed that the need for testing might be over by then)

Information Updated.

@SpeedNoodles can you please provide confirmation that the new tests are getting a 3 month extension as well?  I know it was offered for tests at one point but I have not seen any updates or guidance since then and do not want to rely on an extension that may exist.

44 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

Information Updated.

@SpeedNoodles can you please provide confirmation that the new tests are getting a 3 month extension as well?  I know it was offered for tests at one point but I have not seen any updates or guidance since then and do not want to rely on an extension that may exist.

Yeah, I'm really not sure about that.  It doesn't say so on the website anymore.  I guess I should make sure because if they don't they sent me truly expired tests.

6 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

Information Updated.

When Abbott first started making these test kits they didn't know how long the chemicals would hold up.  They assigned a short expiration to be safe.  As the months passed they saw the chemicals hold together well enough to warrant an extension.  They applied for and received approval for an extension.  For new kits being made at that moment they extended the lifetime a few months.  As the months passed they discovered the original test lasted even longer and the more recently manufactured test lasted longer too.  Based on that for some batches there was an additional 3 months and for others a different extension applied.  

Anyone who bought them over the summer often ended up with ones that had a 3 month or more extension based on the "lot" numbers from early manufacturing runs.  People buying in the late summer or fall may have acquired tests with a 3 month extension. Everything was based on the exact lot numbers involved.  

There were multiple sites that posted different lists that contained lists of lot numbers and the extension for the different lots numbers.  Then some retailer suggested a six month extension but that was a moment in time for specific lot numbers that many assumed applied to all tests but it didn't.  Confusing to say the least.    

My original order from eMed was manufactured in Feb. 2021 with an original expiry in Oct. 2021 yielding an 8 month life until expired.  For my lot number the extension was 3 months, not the rumored 6 months.  In the end my original kits ended up with an 11 month lifetime until expired.    

Fast forward to today and my newest test kits were manufactured in early December 2021 and have an 11 month lifetime, expiring in early Nov. 2022.

I am not expecting these latest test kits to get extended.  

Eleven months appears to be the lifetime they have finalized on.  

The bottom line is there is no extension that applies to any and all tests.  Everything is based on the specific lot numbers involved and the varying original expiration dates which were not consistent.  The only thing that appears to be consistent is the eventual 11 month lifetime that many appear to end up with.  Even then I'd be hesitant to apply a blanket statement that every Abbott test eventually ended up at a 11 month lifetime.  It depends.

1. Purchased from Emed

2. Ordered on 29 December 2021.

3. Approved 29 December 2021, Time from order to approval (email) about 30 minutes. 

4. Never received a "shipped" email.

5. Packages received 31 December 2021 via Fedex about 1: 15 PM, 48 hours and a few minutes after "approval".

6. Expiration date appears to be 21 November 2022.

Ok, from just this extremely small sampling it seems that Emed has a fresher batch than Optum does.

Just ordered a fresh batch, hopefully with a better expiration date.

1. Purchased:  Emed.

2. Ordered: 12/31/21

3. Approved: 1/1/22

4. Shipped: 1/6/22

5. Received:

6. Expiration date:

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Ok, from just this extremely small sampling it seems that Emed has a fresher batch than Optum does.

Yep. And it's good to know for sure. Especially if those tests are expired. 

And a thought just occurred to me. It might be a good idea to contact the Navica people directly to see if the tests are good. They have to get that information because allowing a test to slip through would be a very bad thing. I would expect the qr code to be able to provide that information. 

1. Purchased: Emed.

2. Ordered: 1/1/2022 11:01am

3. Approved: 1/1/2022 11:08am

4. Shipped: 1/3/2022 12:40pm

5. Received:1/4/2022 1:35pm

6. Expiration date:11/21/2022

Edited by FJ28
Updated dates

1. Purchased from: Optum

2. Order date: 12/30/21

3. Approval date: 12/30/21

4. Shipped date: 12/31/21

5. Received date: 1/3/22

6. Expiration date: 11/6/22

I ordered a 2pk for my Jan 10th sailing. It said says it was manufactured 2021-12-09 and expires 2022-11-06 so that means that Optum has some of the newer test.

1. Purchased from:  eMed - 6 pac - $181.40  - - web site now says "Attention: we are currently experiencing heightened demand. You may proceed with your order, but please keep in mind that your test kits may be delayed by a couple of days."

2. Order date: 01/03/2022    20:17 cst

3. Approval date: 01/03/2022   21:16

4. Shipped date: 01/04/2022     1610

5. Received date: 01/06/2022    0930

6. Expiration date: 12/02/2022

Note: All same lot # MFG 12/29/2021 

Based on all data in this thread as of 1/6/22 I would say they have run through all the old tests at both Optum and eMed at this point

On 12/29/2021 at 12:56 AM, MuttMutt said:
  • Purchased from:  (Emed or Optum or other if available)

• Order date: MM/DD/YY

• Approval date: MM/DD/YY

• Shipped date: MM/DD/YY

• Received date: MM/DD/YY

• Expiration date: MM/DD/YY

• Purchased from:  Emed

• Order date: 01/02/22 04:43 PM

• Approval date: 01/02/22 04:52 PM

• Shipped date: 01/04/22 12:37 AM

• Received date: 01/04/22 01:22 PM

• Expiration date: 11/21/22

Information Updated

On 1/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, twangster said:

My order from 12/27/21 is proving to be fruitful.  FedEx just delivered six more.  Ordered six, received two shipments of six.  Latest shipment:  

1. Expiration date: 11/21/22

Well if you are not going to use them I would gladly pick a couple up from you.  Need some for a Feb 23rd cruise on Adventure of the Seas and right now it looks the new stock will expire before my Vision of the Seas sailing November 25th so I still need to wait a bit.  

10 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

Information Updated

Well if you are not going to use them I would gladly pick a couple up from you.  Need some for a Feb 23rd cruise on Adventure of the Seas and right now it looks the new stock will expire before my Vision of the Seas sailing November 25th so I still need to wait a bit.  

You'd be amazed at the new friends I've met very recently...

1. Purchased from:  Optum

2. Order date: 01/05/2022

3. Approval date: 01/05/2022 (assuming this one)

4. Shipped date: 01/05/2022

5. Received date: 01/07/22

6. Expiration date: 11/06/2022 

never received an email about shipping,  I’m registered with FedEx, so I received a text when they “printed the label”.  Originally scheduled for delivery on 01/06/2022, but weather delayed it by a day.  It was expedited shipping, but was free on the Optus site.

I've ordered twice in the last 30 days (sorry for posting in wrong thread)

Both times from Optum

Ordered 12/15/21 

Delivered 12/16/21

Expiration 11/8/21 (+3months) my cruise is 1/28 so this works by about 2 weeks

Ordered 1/5/22

Delivered 1/12/22

Expiration 11/6/22

On 1/7/2022 at 6:56 AM, SPS said:

Glad to see you will get them soon. It still looks like they need to rework some of their logistics and/or IT. It seems to be a complete roll of the dice as to whether or not you'll get a shipping notice.

That's just the date that EMed said they sent them to FedEx.  FedEx indicates that they never received them.  I called EMed today to request my money back.  For the 2nd time, it's been "elevated to Level 3".  I don't actually expect to see any of this money. If I don't get confirmation that the refund has been initiated by Monday I'm calling my credit card company (unfortunately I used an HSA debit card).

So, I ordered another pack because they can't POSSIBLY lose two of them from the same person.

Ordered:  1/15/22 Emed

Approved: 1/15/22

Shipped: 1/17/22

Delivered: 1/18/22

Expiration date: 11/21/ 22

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

That's just the date that EMed said they sent them to FedEx.  FedEx indicates that they never received them.  I called EMed today to request my money back.  For the 2nd time, it's been "elevated to Level 3".  I don't actually expect to see any of this money. If I don't get confirmation that the refund has been initiated by Monday I'm calling my credit card company (unfortunately I used an HSA debit card).

So, I ordered another pack because they can't POSSIBLY lose two of them from the same person.

Ugh! That is ridiculous. Do you still have the ones that expire the week after Odyssey?

18 minutes ago, SPS said:

Ugh! That is ridiculous. Do you still have the ones that expire the week after Odyssey?

Yep, I wanted some back ups in case I had issues.  I also made a back up appointment at the airport (at $99 each, so I hope to cancel them, but I have it locked in just in case).