Harmony of Seas Live Blog- Birthday Cruise- January 2, 2022

iluvwineandtravel

Hi All,  

Just. a few days away from my first sailing on Harmony of the seas.  This is our second cruise during the pandemic after doing an 8 night sailing on Celebrity Apex in early November. We did not have to wear masks on Apex in November because of high vaccination rates, so Covid protocols with Omicron will be a much different experience.

A few fun facts:

• We have a central park balcony on this cruise that I got for an amazing price on Black friday which included prepaid gratuities and a free specialty dining night. I did a guarantee room and was originally assigned a cabin on deck 14.  I called and changed it to deck 10, as I thought a little more convenient to be 2 flights from central park.
  • In addition, we purchased an additional 3 night dining package.  I plan to try out the 40% off of bottles of wine in the specialty restaurants.  If you have experience with this, please comment below!
  • The price was never right pre-cruise to get a drink package so we are going to use our diamond drink coupons and then just see what happens with paying al a carte.
  • We are in Cococay on my actual birthday.  I purchased the hot air balloon at $35 PP on black friday so excited to try it out, (weather permitting)
  • Looking forward to St. Maarten and St. Thomas as our other ports of call.  We decided not to book excursions.  If Covid protocols allow, we plan to visit breweries on both islands and have contacted the owners ahead for a personal experience.
  • We will be flying to orlando on January 1 and staying at Cape Crossing Resort and Marina.  Planning to order dinner from one of the local cocoa beach restaurants.  Will post pictures and a review from the hotel. 
  • We have an 11:30 boarding check in for Harmony and will do the home tests on friday morning.  We did these for the celebrity apex sailing and loved the convenience.  My husband and I also got boosters almost 2 weeks ago so we are ready for some more time on the High seas!
Edited by iluvwineandtravel
error

3 hours ago, fa-li said:

Excited to follow along. We will be on this itinerary in April on Harmony, our first time on one of the big ships.  Also deck 10.  I love having cabins above and below us, so quiet!

also interested in your precruise experience as we are not sure we are are happy with our travel & hotel choices

I changed my pre-night hotel several times and found this option using my chase points.  My go to hotel is Hyatt (because of points), and originally I was just going to stay in the airport hyatt with points, but I saw this option to use our points on the Chase Travel site and it looks really nice.  

I did not think I would like the big ships, but we did Oasis on a thanksgiving cruise several years ago and really enjoyed all of the shows and activities!!

Good morning everyone!  We made it to florida and today is cruise day!!  Direct flight from Cincy to Orlando was pretty easy (although completely full!!  We took uber from the airport to our hotel for the night at Cape Crossing Resort and Marina.  Last night we ordered doordash from one of the local restaurants.

Here are my thoughts about the resort here:

-Great setting and location, right on water and at marina,  about 15 minutes from cruise port, about 20 minutes from Cape canaveral.  It took us around 40 minutes to get here from the airport

-This is more of a condo type resort vs a hotel. We are in the main building in one of the rooms they call suites, but there are free standing condo's in here too that may be nice for people looking for multiple rooms, full amenities with washer/dryer, etc.

- Ordering Doordash was convenient  last night and I appreciated having the kitchen with regular plates, silverware, dishwasher, etc.  I underestimated some of the local places being closed on the holiday yesterday so our choices were mostly chains.

- Our room is modern, nice balcony with plush balcony furniture.  Bathroom is nice and bed was very comfortable.  The only negative was that we went to get ice out of the tray in the freezer, the ice tray looked really gross.  I went to the main office, and the guy at the check in counter gave me ice out of the ice machine from the main fridge in the lobby.   We had packed our own bourbon, extra water, and bottle of Cava sparkling wine for the room in our checked luggage.  This worked out well.  The tv is a smart tv.  We connected our amazon prime wirelessly and watched a movie last night so it was a relaxing night in.

- Our check for Harmony was supposed to be at 11:30, but all of the checkins got pushed back 2 hours due to mandated CDC cleaning. We asked for a late check in when we checked in yesterday and will be departing at 1pm.  They charged $10 extra for the late check out, but it seemed worth it to relax at the resort.  the pool looked really nice and welcoming last night and was open until 10.  I will probably go for a swim this morning.

-  Tonight is dinner at CHOPs at 5:30.  We will make the rest of the reservations for our 3 night dining package and our included specialty restaurant as soon as we board!

IMG_0539.jpeg

IMG_0543.jpeg

7 hours ago, iluvwineandtravel said:

Good morning everyone!  We made it to florida and today is cruise day!!  Direct flight from Cincy to Orlando was pretty easy (although completely full!!  We took uber from the airport to our hotel for the night at Cape Crossing Resort and Marina.  Last night we ordered doordash from one of the local restaurants.

Here are my thoughts about the resort here:

-Great setting and location, right on water and at marina,  about 15 minutes from cruise port, about 20 minutes from Cape canaveral.  It took us around 40 minutes to get here from the airport

-This is more of a condo type resort vs a hotel. We are in the main building in one of the rooms they call suites, but there are free standing condo's in here too that may be nice for people looking for multiple rooms, full amenities with washer/dryer, etc.

- Ordering Doordash was convenient  last night and I appreciated having the kitchen with regular plates, silverware, dishwasher, etc.  I underestimated some of the local places being closed on the holiday yesterday so our choices were mostly chains.

- Our room is modern, nice balcony with plush balcony furniture.  Bathroom is nice and bed was very comfortable.  The only negative was that we went to get ice out of the tray in the freezer, the ice tray looked really gross.  I went to the main office, and the guy at the check in counter gave me ice out of the ice machine from the main fridge in the lobby.   We had packed our own bourbon, extra water, and bottle of Cava sparkling wine for the room in our checked luggage.  This worked out well.  The tv is a smart tv.  We connected our amazon prime wirelessly and watched a movie last night so it was a relaxing night in.

- Our check for Harmony was supposed to be at 11:30, but all of the checkins got pushed back 2 hours due to mandated CDC cleaning. We asked for a late check in when we checked in yesterday and will be departing at 1pm.  They charged $10 extra for the late check out, but it seemed worth it to relax at the resort.  the pool looked really nice and welcoming last night and was open until 10.  I will probably go for a swim this morning.

-  Tonight is dinner at CHOPs at 5:30.  We will make the rest of the reservations for our 3 night dining package and our included specialty restaurant as soon as we board!

IMG_0539 2.HEIC 1.96 MB · 8 downloads IMG_0540.HEIC 2.34 MB · 2 downloads IMG_0543.HEIC 2.21 MB · 1 download

Very informative, have an awesome cruise, we fly out of Cincinnati ( Northern Ky ) in three weeks to cruise, calling for 5 inches of snow in Cincinnati Thursday, so good timing.

Harmony Day #1

Well we made it on board.  It is now day 2 at 11:20 as I sit here typing this blog.  Before boarding yesterday, we enjoyed our brunch at Mother Pucker Cafe on Merrit Island.  It is a cute local place.  I had the mac and cheese panini and my husband had the breakfast sandwich and we split them!  I recommend this place.  It has great character and I would come back again!   We went back to the room and packed up the rest of our stuff and called  lyft to take us to terminal 1.   Boarding was fairly easy.  The only real wait was going through security which took 5-10 minutes.  This is the main benefit of guests I saw in suites and the key who got to fast track this line, but overall embarkation was extremely smooth. Our muster station is the bionic bar so we got on and completed that right away on the promenade and then went to make the rest of our dining package reservations. As soon as we finished making the 4 reservations, the cabins opened up and we went to our cabin to drop off our backpacks.  We found our luggage soon after right outside the door and got everything quickly unpacked.  I always bring magnets and hooks for the room, but I got some additional small ones for this trip to hang masks on in the cabin. They are very convenient and get everything out of the way and fee up the desk and dresser space. Thanks to my sister for sending the bottle of champagne for my birthday!  That was a nice surprise, esp. since we don't have a drink package this trip!  I ordered the 24 pack of water for 50% off on black friday and that was also in our room so we stocked the fridge.   I also carried on the 2 bottles of wine we are each allowed to bring on board and will save those to take to dinner later in the week. 

First Drink of the cruise= Lemon drop martini at the schooner bar.  We went back for more diamond drinks later after dinner and I really liked Eric, the piano guy!!!  

Dinner- Tonight we had 5:45 reservations at CHOPS.  I had my typical shrimp cocktail, lobster bisque and got the 6 inch filet.  We got tater tots as a side.  The steak was outstanding.  I did not like the lobster bisque as much as I usually like it at chops.  For dessert, I got the Key lime pie and my husband got the warm chocolate cake.   I am a big fan of the 40% off bottles of wine that comes with the specialty dining packages.  We got a bottle of one of our favorite Tuscan wines RCL carries for around $29 with the discount and gratuity.  This was great so that we did not have to use our 4 diamond drink coupons at dinner. 

Room- This is our first time having a neighborhood balcony.  Our cabin is on the 10th floor and overlooks central park.  We enjoyed sitting out there last night when we came back from the room.  My husband thought the view would be better if were were higher, but I like being only 2 floors from central park, park cafe and all the restaurants.  Our bed is by the balcony.  We have not had this configuration in a while, and I like that it feels like you have more space to move around in the cabin.  For example, my husband and i both unpacked our luggage at the same time which is usually a challenge.   I also like that you can hear the music from our balcony.

We re now on day #2 at sea.  Our start to the day included a trip to diamond lounge to get specialty coffee to go and then we got breakfast at park cafe which is my favorite. I got the burritos which are really great on harmony.  DH got a bagel and salmon flavored cream cheese.   Park cafe was pretty empty at 9am. The guy at Izumi told us the ship has between 3100 and 3200 passengers this week which is the lowest number they have seen in a few weeks.  Last week was apparently pretty packed for new years eve with > 5000 guests.  The covid protocols don't feel really bad or restricting and everyone is complying with masks on indoors unless actively eating or drinking. 

After breakfast we explored the ship a little more.  Johnny Rockets is still serving free breakfast, we will try that one day this week.  We made reservations for the cocktail class this afternoon in Wonderland. 

Highlight:  Our highlight this morning was the Ultimate Abyss.  This was my first time doing it!  I will definately do it again this week!  

A Look Ahead!  Tonight is formal night.  We have 5:30 reservations at 150 central park.  

I have made most of my show reservations for the week. The only thing not available for reservations is the Aqua theatre show.  I had heard Grease was not available last week, but I was able to make reservations for it this week.

I also unfortunately already got a note in my cabin that says we won't be able to do the Helium baloon ride in cococay because of maintenance needed, but was refunded the cost. 

For more photos, follow along on instagram at iluvwineandtravel

IMG_0545.jpeg

IMG_0566.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

DEB828A0-5A5E-4C1E-A78B-2CCFD9E18EC4.jpg

Following, I'm going on this itinerary next week. Thanks for the live updates! Was curious on when and how you found out about the embarkation delay of 2 hours due to CDC cleaning mandates? We are traveling to the port form Orlando so don't want to leave too early. We also have the Key and have an embarkation time of 11am on the 9th. Thanks! (Also good to hear that the capacity is around 3k unlike last week), Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

@iluvwineandtravel I luv the relaxed tone of your blog and also your ship selection.
I’ve sailed HARMONY at least 5+times (yes, Covid lulls have me with a bit of cruise trivia amnesia).  On good sailings she has more eclectic and cultural vibes.  Feels more contemporary than the Oasis and Allure. but less hype and constant motion that I feel onboard the Symphony.  The Diamond lounge feels very much like the others on Oasis Class Ships.  Not sure if HARMONY is scheduled for a little TLC soon, but that would be nice.
Anyway I hope you have the best time ever and enjoy Harmony’s sweet spots as much as we have!  
( request to follow on IG.  TIA

Day 2 continued....

Lunch was a windjammer around 1pm. We had to scan our cards upon entering and exiting and were routed through the sink stations.  In addition to serving us, someone handed us our plates and silverware.  We ate a very light lunch, but the food was really good yesterday! 

We came back to the cabin afterwards and I enjoyed being able to hear the bands at the main pool on my central park balcony.

Cocktail class:  We did this at 3pm in wonderland.  The setting was nice, but I was disappointed in the class.  They had to modify it with Covid protocols, but I feel like they could have found more innovative ways to try to do it. I did not feel it was an esp. good value compared to other tastings and classes we have done.  After the class, we headed to the bar at Sabor for our first happy hour drink, "the Jalapeno margarita.  The margarita did not  disappoint and we finished them on our balcony again listening to the music from the pool.  Tonight was formal night so we had to change.

Diner:  Dinner tonight was at 150 Central park.  This was our first time eating there and I really enjoyed the whole experience!  For wine, we ordered a pinot noir from Burgundy.  We both got the scallops and split the pork belly appetizer.  For my main course, I got the lobster thermidor.  I was really in love with the bread, it had so many amazing flavors!!!  For desert, I was a big fan of the fried cheesecake and the presentation. We also split the peanut butter tart.  We are eating here again on saturday for my actual birthday and I am really glad to have picked this restaurant to return to!!

Headliner show:  We went to the headliner show at 7pm in the main theatre starring singer Jimmy Hopper.  I thought it was really good.  I really liked what they did with one of the songs from the Trans-Siberian orchestra and with the lighting.  

After the show was back to schooner bar for more of our diamond drinks and Eric the piano guy again. 

We have already started the morning of Day #3 which is our second sea day. Breakfast was the same routine today.  Diamond lounge for specialty coffee, and park cafe for breakfast.  Afterwards, we walked the track on deck 5.  The walking decks on the Oasis class are probably my favorite!!

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0590.jpeg

5A0E6E89-1FF8-433C-9D64-9C4CC881B0B9.jpg

B43AB8BA-2214-449E-B534-542D175851F4.jpg

IMG_0597.jpeg

7E61D9FB-E500-4431-B48A-A8BDB6C7D145.jpg

@iluvwineandtravel Good morning! Hope you are continuing to have a great birthday cruise! I'm on the next itinerary on the 9th for Harmony of the Seas and currently tracking the current sailing. It looks like it skipping St. Thomas, can you confirm this? Also you mentioned on your embarkation day that your embarkation time of 11:30 was pushed out two hours to 1:30pm, when and how did you get this notice? Since we are leaving from Orlando, we don't want to arrive too early or worst, late since our check in is at 11am with the Key.

Thanks!

Jeffrey

3 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

@iluvwineandtravel Good morning! Hope you are continuing to have a great birthday cruise! I'm on the next itinerary on the 9th for Harmony of the Seas and currently tracking the current sailing. It looks like it skipping St. Thomas, can you confirm this? Also you mentioned on your embarkation day that your embarkation time of 11:30 was pushed out two hours to 1:30pm, when and how did you get this notice? Since we are leaving from Orlando, we don't want to arrive too early or worst, late since our check in is at 11am with the Key.

Thanks!

Jeffrey

hi Jeffery,  yes.  I can confirm that both us and the Allure had to skip St. Thomas today because we both had more the 1% of the crew positive and in quarantine.  We did port in St. Maarten yesterday and had a wonderful day.  Also st Maarten did not have strict protocols.  We are having a really wonderful cruise! Will post an update app .  re: the late boarding, we got notice a few days before embarkation by email. 

You will have a great time!  

cyndi 

day 3 ended up being similar to day 2 .  dinner was a Jaime’s for night 3 of our dining package.  Wine was chianti.  We ordered the aranchini, garlic bread, garlicky prawns, and Truffle Tagliatelle pasta for the table.  For the main course we got the lasagna and larmb chops.  For desert we got Crème Brûlée and Limoncello  cheesecake!  tonight was also the ice show so we headed to studio b after dinner and then to the pub to listen the the guitar music.  

Will add photos later, I am blogging this from my phone! 

On day #4, I woke up early so I walked up on deck to watch us sail into St. Maarten.  Yesterday was a really beautiful day and it was one of our favorite days of the cruise so far.  I grabbed some breakfast in windjammer knowing that I needed to get on a call for work this morning before going out to the island.  

Just before 11 ship time, we headed out to port.  I had purchased a Caribbean  Brewery tour through Viator for $25 pp.  I had pulled up the directions ahead on Google maps and knew it was about a 7 minute walk from the cruise port.  We  went out of the main road, turned right on the main road, and then took the first left.  The brewery was in a building past a warehouse.  

When we arrived, there were 2 other couples who would be doing the tour with us seated at the bar.   One of the couples was one the Allure parked right next to Harmony! We met Sunil who is  owner of the brewery and he poured us the first beer.  All of the beers we tried were full size beers and then we even got to pour one freshly from one of the tanks.  The experience was wonderful.  Sunil is a wonderful storyteller and he told us his personal story and the history of the brewery including some of the challenges he has faced during the hurricane and the pandemic with a new business and one of the only craft breweries on the island.  We also got to try their beer cocktail.  I really liked it a lot!  In fact, I had 2. 😀

After the tour, Sunil drove us to his bar in front street, The Blonde Beach bar.  We enjoyed more beers here and the beautiful views and Wi-FI.  Suhil also gave us a tour of this building including a couple of the escape rooms he has put in.  Both rooms we viewed had cool themes with much creativity.  The couple from the allure had 3 teenagers with them that joined us at the beach bar and ended up doing one of the Escape rooms. At the end of the evening, Suhil drove us back to the cruise port.  We ended up being the last 2 passengers to board the ship, but it was a great end to a perfect day!  I would definitely go back to the Blonde beach bar on my next trip to st Maarten!! It is really close to one of the ferry stops!

Dinner tonight was in the main dining room.  With Covid protocols, my time dining does not begin until 6:30, so we went to the Diamond lounge first and had some snacks and a lemon drop martini. Dinner was coconut shrimp, prime rib, and cheesecake for dessert.  We had already had plenty of drinks yesterday so we just got a glass of Italian wine at dinner using our diamond drink coupons.  I got number 490, my favorite Tuscan wine that we had on night 1.  After dinner, we went to the pub, but after so much fun we were in bed early last night! 

I will add some photos later!  It is easier to add them from my laptop! 

We found out this morning that we would not be able to go to st Thomas on day 5 because more than 1% of the crew  is in quarantine.  While there have been a few changes like this in shows and the itinerary, I am feeling very comfortable  on boards, and feel really lucky to be cruising right now!!!  

We will enjoy another wonderful day at sea!!

We all got additional OBC for missing St. Thomas yesterday so I booked some additional wine tastings in vintages.  Yesterday was the Italian tasting.  Today is Mystery wines where you have to guess the grape!   Also I found the adult only pool yesterday and really enjoyed the "waves" on the side of the pools.

IMG_0656.jpeg

I got a little behind on the blog.  Debarkation was easy this morning.  I had an 11:15 flight out of Orlando.  I pre-scheduled a lyft to pick us up at 8:30 and a driver had already accepted it a few days ago.  Because of the distance, a shuttle to the airport for $25 pp would have been cheaper, but we prefer private transportation vs. a shuttle, esp. righ now!  Debarkation was easy and we had signed up to be one of the first groups off with an early flight. Normally, we tend to walk off our our own with all of our luggage, but I am recovering from a knee injury, plus I had broken one of the wheels on my suitcase on the way to Florida.  My experience with Terminal 1 in Port Canaveral is that Debarkation always seems super easy!  The airport on the other hand was crazy.  We flew frontier back to cincinnati because it was the most convenient flight return options I could find to get us back quickly and with a direct flight.  First we had to print our own luggage tags for our checked flights and then the wait was 45 minutes or so to check drop off the bags.  The airport security line was also really crazy!  If it had not been for TSA pre check, we would likely not have made the 11:15 flight.  I felt far more comfortable on the cruise ship this week than I did in the airport. 🙂

Yesterday was my birthday and we spent the day in cococay!  We took the shuttle over to the south beach area and had the famous chicken sandwich and mozzarella sticks at the Snack shack.  I had brought the inflatable hammock rafts and enjoyed it for several hours in the water near the floating bar! It was partly cloudy yesterday, and we got some rain after.  I had originally planned to spend some time in the huge lagoon pool after the beach, but we decided just to swim in the ocean.   Dinner last night was back at 150 Central park for my birthday using the voucher from the travel agent. Last night we ordered a Cigalus wine, I got the scallops again and DH ordered the Braised short rib which was outstanding.  The waiter also talked us into trying the Caesar salad.   For dinner we ordered the lamb Wellington,  Roasted tenderloin and also ordered the Veal medallions to try them.  The Lamb Wellington was surprisingly our favorite dish of the 3.   For dessert, we both ordered the fried cheesecake again.

After dinner, we went back to finish packing and ended the night with football and music in the pub!

Overall, it was a really amazing cruise!!

We went to the main dining room 3 nights and I really enjoyed it.  Night 6 (lobster night) was my favorite.  The lobster tails were the best I have had in a while on a cruise ship, and we also tried the Roasted beef tenderloin which was excellent.  I was also a very big fan of the way the served the Molten chocolate cake!  I was a big fan of the current presentation and recipe!!

0FFB0F2E-B4D5-4603-8D56-23A7CB7C4A78.jpg

IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0705.jpeg

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0735.jpeg

Thanx for your 'vlog'.  We are all probably wondering what might be in store for cruises in January with the omicron surging.  Too bad about St. Thomas; but Cocoa Cay looks like it turned out ok for you.  Did the theater production shows [mainly Grease] go on as scheduled? The mega ships offer a lot of entertainment if the ports turn away, of course, but only if the shows 'go on'.  On Harmony the 23rd; wish us luck...and happy days to you back in Cincinatti.  Thanks again.