Royal-up/ suite question...

kittysoul

I have a cruise coming up on Symphony in a couple of weeks and am still considering a royal up bid.  My question is though, can anyone tell me if there are Grand Suite's that are not Ocean View?  I do not want to risk losing an ocean front balcony.  I have heard that if you take a royal up, you do not have any control over where the room is located and so I am just not sure about it....  Thanks for any advice, answers...

I slept on the couch in our 2br GS on Allure. I would imagine it is the same type of sofa bed.   Bed was firm but a bit weird. In my case the bed wasn't quite even, if you understand what I mean. Clearly the pulled-out part was a bit higher, so if you roll over there seemed to be a clear line of demarcation. I like a firm bed and requested extra pillows, so I still slept amazing the entire 7Ns.

11 hours ago, kittysoul said:

One more question.....  On the Grand Suites on Symphony,  can someone tell me how comfortable the couch bed is?  Is it like a typical pull out couch (uncomfortable) or more like a regular bed would feel?    THanks!!  

In some cases the sofa bed is not a standard pull out sofa bed you'll find on land but the concept is similar.  In some cases the sofa bed folds down to make a bed for one person, in some cases it is very much like a conventional sofa bed for two.

There is no magical cruise ship sofa bed that somehow out performs regular land based sofa bed but can't be found on land.  

The matter of comfort is subjective but also more variable for the sofa beds compared to the mattresses.   

In most cases a guest will be inclined to accept it given the other option of a whole different cabin and the costs associated with another cabin.

I can't imagine anyone has slept on a cruise ship sofa bed and left the cruise thinking "...that was sure better than a mattress! "  or "I lucked out getting the sofa bed!".

Some people, particularly teens and children are less likely to notice or complain about sleeping arrangements.  Someone who is paying a full share for the cabin might feel differently. 

On 12/29/2021 at 9:21 AM, twangster said:

In some cases the sofa bed is not a standard pull out sofa bed you'll find on land but the concept is similar.  In some cases the sofa bed folds down to make a bed for one person, in some cases it is very much like a conventional sofa bed for two.

There is no magical cruise ship sofa bed that somehow out performs regular land based sofa bed but can't be found on land.  

The matter of comfort is subjective but also more variable for the sofa beds compared to the mattresses.   

In most cases a guest will be inclined to accept it given the other option of a whole different cabin and the costs associated with another cabin.

I can't imagine anyone has slept on a cruise ship sofa bed and left the cruise thinking "...that was sure better than a mattress! "  or "I lucked out getting the sofa bed!".

Some people, particularly teens and children are less likely to notice or complain about sleeping arrangements.  Someone who is paying a full share for the cabin might feel differently. 

Thank you!  Your points make some good sense....and you make me laugh 😄   I appreciate the advice, as always!!  - Julie