SJU - New 48 Hour Test Reqmt.

AAD

On Puerto Rico's new 48 hour test requirement, does anyone know what kind of test is required?  I read their site and it does not specify.  Wondering if the at-home tests are accepted?  We are leaving on Symphony on Friday... SJU is Day 4.   Anyone else looking into this now?  

https://www.cruisehive.com/puerto-rico-implements-strict-requirements-symphony-of-the-seas-denied/62626

“All passengers and crew members who wish to disembark in Puerto Rico must be fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization and must have a negative result of a viral test (molecular or antigen) performed within 2 days (48 hours) before disembarking in Puerto Rico.”

So how does this work if this is the main port where we will be embarking and disembarking from (Explorer of the Seas, Jan 9-16) San Juan. Yes, we will have the 48 hour test when we fly in. But, how will it work after being on several islands in the Southern Caribbean and returning to port to fly home? Will this be something that will be offered by Royal Caribbean?

I don't foresee this being something that the cruise lines adjust to - this would require testing everyone in the middle of the cruise if San Juan is a stop, which also means they would have to consistently have enough kits and personnel to carry this out for every single passenger and crew member. 

I suspect that this would ultimately mean cancellations to San Juan for a few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Bob13 said:

What about cruises leaving from San Juan and returning to San Juan

That is the real question, test 48 hours before flying in 2 days early, then do a proctored at home test when we arrive 2 days before cruise leaving from San Juan.

What happens when we return to San Juan after the 7 day cruise?  I don't see it addressed anywhere.

9 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

What happens when we return to San Juan after the 7 day cruise?  I don't see it addressed anywhere.

If PR adhere to the rules they have implemented then everyone onboard ship would need to be tested before docking. 

A ship docking on day 1 of its sailing is probably less of a risk then 1 returning after 7 days to disembark passengers! So you would presume tests would be needed if they are not then it makes the rules they have implemented a joke! 

3 hours ago, Swar said:

The Explorer is moving to Miami from PR by April 2022. Would be nice if it just moved early and saved me on plane tickets and logistics. I live in Florida and have B2Bs booked in March.

I think there needs to be some clarity on cruise ships that homeport in San Juan.  When Puerto Rico first announced this change this was one of the questions that came to my mind is is what will cruise lines do with ships based in San Juan if this new restriction applies those ships as well.

Well, I guess we will see what is going to happen this coming Sunday when the Explorer comes back to its home port. According to the government's current policy no one will be able to get off the ship unless they have a negative Covid test.  As it is currently, every cruiser out of San Juan will need at least 3 test kits per person. You will need proof of one negative test to enter the country, a second to board the ship and then a third to get off the ship!  With the current shortage of tests and the time frame needed to order more tests (especially if you have a cruise within the next week or two) I think we are screwed!

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

Received the email last night regarding our cruise on Anthem leaving Friday. San Juan is cancelled. They extended our time in port in St. Thomas until 8pm. Nine day cruise went from three ports to two. I don’t mind….I’m cruising!

I imagine this will be similar for us at the end of January with the status of both San Juan and Labadee. Maybe I'll just book some extra time in the spa instead. 🤪

2 hours ago, MKSglitz said:

You will need proof of one negative test to enter the country, a second to board the ship and then a third to get off the ship!  

From PR website, if you do not get a test to fly to PR you have 48hrs to do so, so time it so you can use 1 test as required to enter PR and board ship

Of course its whether airline allows you to fly without having test, in UK they have made people go and get tests before boarding a domestic flight if they then have international flight.

As of December 27th, 2021, all passengers arriving on domestic flights are required to show a negative COVID-19 test (either antigen or PCR) result taken within 48 hours before arrival time, regardless of vaccination status. Passengers arriving without a test will have 48 hours to take one upon arrival or be subject to a fine.