Positive PCR Covid test within 14 days of a cruise.

Dad2Cue

Am I correct in believing that my wife can't go on our first cruise of a B2B because it is within 14 days of the cruise?  My wife first had symptoms about 10 days ago and still has mild symptoms.   Her first PCR  test was positive 7 days ago and positive again today.  I have been negative for both of my PCR tests. 

My question is -- do I need to report the test results to Royal and apply for a refund for the first cruise?  It seems strange to assume we can still go on the second cruise of the B2B. We have decided not to go on the first cruise but the second cruise of the B2B is still an open question.  I understand that a Rapid test may be negative in the next 1-2 weeks so do we still plan for the second cruise or should we just forget about both cruises?  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Am I correct in believing that my wife can't go on our first cruise of a B2B because it is within 14 days of the cruise?  My wife first had symptoms for about 10 days and still has mild symptoms.   Her first PCR  test was positive 7 days ago and positive again today.  I have been negative for both of my PCR tests. 

My question is do I need to report the test results to Royal and apply for a refund for the first cruise?  Seems strange to assume we can still go on the second cruise of the B2B. We have decided not to go on the first cruise but the second cruise of the B2B is still an open question.  I understand that a Rapid test may be negative in the next 1-2 weeks so do we still plan for the second cruise or should we just forget about both cruises?  Thanks.

I’m assuming she is vaccinated as adults have to be to cruise without an exemption…. Try an antigen test instead of pcr. Royal accepts those for vaccinated people and I have several friends that continue to test PCR positive when they are long recovered but antigen negative. PCR can pick up strands of dead virus but antigen shows positive with a contagious infection only…. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Cruiser4Life said:

I’m assuming she is vaccinated as adults have to be to cruise without an exemption….

Yes ... my wife had two Pfizer doses + a booster.  I had two Moderna doses + a booster.  It is weird how I have stayed negative even though we haven't been socially distant at all, no masks at home, no isolation rooms at home, nothing.  I had some "cold" symptoms last week but got over it quickly.  I'm the one who is also "immunosuppressed"!

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

Am I correct in believing that my wife can't go on our first cruise of a B2B because it is within 14 days of the cruise?  My wife first had symptoms about 10 days ago and still has mild symptoms.   Her first PCR  test was positive 7 days ago and positive again today.  I have been negative for both of my PCR tests. 

My question is do I need to report the test results to Royal and apply for a refund for the first cruise?  It seems strange to assume we can still go on the second cruise of the B2B. We have decided not to go on the first cruise but the second cruise of the B2B is still an open question.  I understand that a Rapid test may be negative in the next 1-2 weeks so do we still plan for the second cruise or should we just forget about both cruises?  Thanks.

I read the RCL instructions, and I thought you had to get your test within 2 days of sailing?  Maybe try then?  Or are you ensuring that you can get a refund within the 14 day period?

26 minutes ago, WackyCactus said:

I read the RCL instructions, and I thought you had to get your test within 2 days of sailing?  Maybe try then?  Or are you ensuring that you can get a refund within the 14 day period?

We would probably rather have a refund for the first cruise but would still like to go on the second cruise.  Above all, we just want to do the "right" thing whatever that is.  We just want to be completely transparent with Royal and report the positive test.  I would think a positive test would raise some 'red flags" for Royal and might prevent us from doing both cruises of the B2B.  We also don't want to go to the port only to be told we can't go on the cruise.

The FAQ part on the Royal web site says the following: 

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal prior to the cruise. 

Aha! I had this exact same question and couldn't pin down an answer.

I can't recall if asking if you had tested positive in the prior 14 days was one of the questions on the health questionnaire. I know they ask about symptoms and if you've been exposed but all of the screenshots I've seen of the questionnaire it isn't specifically asking if you had it. They make mention of a secondary screening based on the answers to your health questionnaire at

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-happens-if-i-do-not-pass-the-secondary-screening

But nowhere can I find where it says you can't sail if you tested positive in the prior 14 days. If you answer the questions truthfully about symptoms and that you have been exposed, that's where additional screening may come into play. 

But you're not alone in wanting to know the answer to this!

On 12/27/2021 at 4:45 PM, Dad2Cue said:

We would probably rather have a refund for the first cruise but would still like to go on the second cruise.  Above all, we just want to do the "right" thing whatever that is.  We just want to be completely transparent with Royal and report the positive test.  I would think a positive test would raise some 'red flags" for Royal and might prevent us from doing both cruises of the B2B.  We also don't want to go to the port only to be told we can't go on the cruise.

The FAQ part on the Royal web site says the following: 

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal prior to the cruise. 

Well, it's good of you to be an upstanding person.

I do hope you make the second cruise!!!

14 hours ago, WackyCactus said:

Well, it's good of you to be an upstanding person.

It is a dilemma.  It is my understanding that a PCR test can stay positive for months after being infected.  My wife'symptoms are pretty much gone.  Even the CDC has decreased the quarantine time from 10 days down to 5 days as long as symptoms are gone. 

That reminds me,  I need to make sure that I make an appointment for a rapid test instead of a PCR test for 2 weeks from today.  The  2nd cruise of the B2B is January 15th.  The first cruise was supposed to be a 6-day cruise on January 9th.  I think I will just  reschedule that one and maybe not mention the positive PCR test. 

What are the chances of someone wanting to do a PCR test while we are on the cruise?  I'm pretty sure it will still be positive.

I also wonder how many onboard covid cases on cruise ships were from people who got on the cruise with a negative rapid test but later got a PCR test that came up positive due to a covid infection months before the cruise???