San Juan denied Symphony access

I’m on the symphony right now. Here’s the thing… This morning all we were told is that due to health and safety concerns the port would not let us dock. That is literally all the information we received all day. I learned the port information by checking here throughout the day. Had the captain come on board the pa and explained it was a last-minute port decision that impacts all cruising it would be a different feel on the ship. In addition I think people would be more understanding and less upset about it had more information been shared. It also would not have been nearly as bad if the entertainment staff was not also quarantining. So their ability to change programming on the fly to accommodate an extra sea day is very limited. So when you start adding up all the accommodations we are doing from the passenger perspective and not getting any accommodations offered from the cruise line, at leads for a larger batch of unhappy passengers. To be honest, this cruise has been two years coming for us and we chose not to cancel understanding the protocols and expectations would be different. And we are having a nice vacation but it is not a great first time experience from a brand perspective.

1 hour ago, beachmama said:

I’m on the symphony right now. Here’s the thing… This morning all we were told is that due to health and safety concerns the port would not let us dock. That is literally all the information we received all day. I learned the port information by checking here throughout the day. Had the captain come on board the pa and explained it was a last-minute port decision that impacts all cruising it would be a different feel on the ship. In addition I think people would be more understanding and less upset about it had more information been shared. It also would not have been nearly as bad if the entertainment staff was not also quarantining. So their ability to change programming on the fly to accommodate an extra sea day is very limited. So when you start adding up all the accommodations we are doing from the passenger perspective and not getting any accommodations offered from the cruise line, at leads for a larger batch of unhappy passengers. To be honest, this cruise has been two years coming for us and we chose not to cancel understanding the protocols and expectations would be different. And we are having a nice vacation but it is not a great first time experience from a brand perspective.

How much information did the captain have?  Coming from the airline industry I can tell you sometimes captains at least at the airlines are not given all the information needed to adequately address passengers concerns. Some times people at world headquarters or even in station operations (airlines again) get so caught up in trying to handle the situation they don't give pilots all the information they need.  Although the article stated the department of health made this change yesterday what we don't know is when this yesterday this change was announced. There was literally no news of this change until early this morning so they may have made the decision yesterday to implement this change but when was it communicated to cruise lines like Royal?  And when did Royal communicate the information to the captain of Symphony, do you remember what time it was when the captain made the announcement?  I happened to be looking at cruise ship tacker this morning at work around 6:30am Chicago time which would be 7:30am ship time and it appeared as though Symphony was still on course for San Juan at that time and there was no news of Puerto Rico's entry requirement change.

I understand the frustration of passengers onboard who were expecting to enjoy a great day in San Juan but is Royal really at fault or is the crew of Symphony at fault I'm not sure they are.

6 hours ago, beachmama said:

Happen to be on same ship.  St.Marteen looks like a go based on the islands ship dock schedule.  NE port of the island. 

Screenshot_20211227-230222_Chrome.jpg

15 hours ago, beachmama said:

Thank you for the updates. My family of four is set to sail on Symphony on February 5th. and we are trying to decide if we should delay the trip to a later date. This will be our first cruise. Based on what you posted so far I am leaning towards putting it off until spring. I realize a lot can change in 40 days and won’t make my final decision for 2 or 3 weeks yet but if there is no entertainment and no ports I don’t see the point in cruising. Please keep up with the updates. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

On 12/27/2021 at 5:02 PM, beachmama said:

Hey there could you elaborate and what specifically was affected by people with positive test? 1 show of the night, closed areas , etc? And just skipped San Juan? Not taking to other port? Maybe heard or can ask if for next cruise there would be another port instead of San Juan? Thanks in advance! The help is much appreciated!

GaryO -  I am right there with you... for this 12/31 Symphony sailing...  We have $14k invested in this cruise- insured.  I'm still debating whether it's foolish to forge ahead. We get the rapid tests tomorrow.  If one of us three is positive, then there's an easy decision.    

1 hour ago, AAD said:

GaryO -  I am right there with you... for this 12/31 Symphony sailing...  We have $14k invested in this cruise- insured.  I'm still debating whether it's foolish to forge ahead. We get the rapid tests tomorrow.  If one of us three is positive, then there's an easy decision.    

Check the email you surely received

4C5275A1-FE2D-4EDB-A02A-CD1BED937967.png

5723689A-A006-46FE-A80C-B01E0552C853.png

Yep. Got it. It’s tempting for a full refund. We are definitely going somewhere but I am very hesitant to scramble to put together another destination (Atlantis… KeyWest…)  within the next 36 hours…  It will just come down to the rapid tests tomorrow.