Ports and ships

Carolg

I have a cruise booked for January 15 on the odyssey of the seas. I am a little nervous that we will not be allowed to get off the ship in Aruba and Curaçao. I don’t want to spend eight days at sea not being able to get off the ship. I don’t see why the ports cannot let people who test negative off of the ship, even if it requires them getting a rapid before getting off the ship. What are my options for cancellation  prior to the cruise? Will they inform us of port changes prior to sailing? What are the reimbursements if we do miss a port?

• Matt changed the title to Ports and ships

You should be able to cancel within 48 hours of the sailing under the Cruise With Confidence program and receive an FCC.  If a port is missed, port taxes and fees are refunded.  They may inform of port changes prior to sailing, however sometimes they do not know until they dock (as happened last week).  Beyond refunding port taxes and fees, they do not own passengers any reimbursement (although sometimes they do, but they aren't required to, per the contract we sign when we book the cruise).

I'm sailing Odyssey on Jan 29.  We're totally ok with any port changes.  We'd like to go to Aruba and Curacao, but we're also happy just to be away from work and the Minnesota winter.

10 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm sailing Odyssey on Jan 29.  We're totally ok with any port changes.  We'd like to go to Aruba and Curacao, but we're also happy just to be away from work and the Minnesota winter.

LOL! Us too... NY is certainly not Minnesota in the winter, but we can't wait to get away!... Sailing on Odyssey on Feb 12... fingers-crossed things will settle down a bit by next month!

We just got off the Odyssey with the missed ports.  I do not think Royal knew that Curacao was going to cancel our visit.  We were docked waiting for local authorities to clear our disembarkation.  They announced over PA that island Health Minister was coming to the port to review our situation after their Prime Minister gave local address.  Even at that point, there were excursion buses waiting at the port when we arrived, but as time went on, they were sent away and the port was cancelled.  Aruba followed suit shortly afterwards.  During the 'chat with the captain' in 270, he mentioned that they looked at other possible stops as alternatives, including Labadee or another stop at Cococay.  There were already two ships at Cococay and they considered relocating one out or tendering us, but ultimately decided it would not work.

With the cancelled ports, Royal reimbursed some port charges as well as giving us refundable OBC for the two days cruise fare.  We also got 50% Future cruise credit.  I think they were very generous in this case, but I would not bank on the same for future cruises.  

If Royal Caribbean decides to change the itinerary ahead of boarding, you will definitely know.  Changes made on the fly, (like ours) are the risk we take, but RCL was very accommodating.  Even if they plan to go to Curacao and Aruba, I would bet that Royal would have some contingency plans in place for your trip for other stops and you would not have six days straight at sea.

In the end, Odyssey is a great ship and being onboard for 6 days at sea was not bad at all.

I keep reading here that we shouldn't be overly disappointed of port cancellations.  We should rejoice that we're able to cruise anywhere at all. 

Well, maybe so...

Book an 8 night cruise on Odyssey from sunny Fort Lauderdale, we don't know what ports we'll visit, but we'll promise you a memorable cruise.🤩

Our cruising plans have been severely curtailed, over and over, thanks to the covid.  So we keep getting back in line, accept anything available, and still have our plans changed for us again.

I've been so looking forward to visiting the ABC islands.  We finally were able to book a Southern Caribbean cruise to two of the three islands, with Grand Cayman as the kicker.  Grand Cayman has been scrapped as a cruise stop, and now maybe Aruba and/or Curacao.  I love cruising, and if I booked a cruise that stopped nowhere at all, I could be okay with that too.  But when I pay extra for a longer cruise to see specific ports, and then they are all cancelled, I wonder how long should I be completely accepting of this?

I just don't know when it will be time to cut my losses, wait and see if everything finally settles down.

And it's not just the cruise.  Motels, transfers, airfare, it all changes with cancelled cruises.  I'm still out for two first class airfares.  The airline conveniently remains ignorant to promised refunds and/or credits.   

I am whining, I know.    I Pray this covid stuff soon is behind us, and we can get back to a normal world.😎

4 hours ago, WAYNO said:

I keep reading here that we shouldn't be overly disappointed of port cancellations.  We should rejoice that we're able to cruise anywhere at all. 

Well, maybe so...

I think this sentiment is only applicable for the foreseeable future. Trying to visit the ABC island in 2023, I really wouldn't be accepting of port cancellations. But currently......to cruise is to have patience. 

The ports that get cruised to the most are not as medically or structurally advanced as America, Canada and some countries in the EU. Our M.O in life should always be "do no harm." Most places in the ABCs would not be able to handle thousands of positive cases, so they close ports to keep the citizens safe. The truth of the matter is people are sick and dying still, a vacation is a luxury and privilege. We should, at this point in time, appreciate the fact we can cruise, fly, visit theme parks, eat in restaurants, and just live freely in general. 

As always, seems whatever is blogged, is taken out of context, or not understood at all.

I know why these unpopular protocols exist, and I'm not in disagreement of the protocols.

I very much understand the luxuries in which I can partake, and continue to be appreciative.  I am not dumping on Royal Caribbean.

Because of this appreciation, I continue to attempt to support the cruise and tourism industry.  But there comes a time, when everything I do is somehow cancelled or severely curtailed, and I must stand back and take a breath.    That's all. 

@WAYNOI personally think it is hard to get intent when you write. I merely replied because I think being upset about port changes in this climate is the least of worries. But that was my opinion, and I am sorry if I may have offended you in any manner.

I get what you mean. With all the hopes and dreams crushed, it is hard to accept this new normal. But that's what I tell myself, there is no way we are going back to what was normal in 2019. Once I accepted that, I felt better about my travel choices. A cruise to nowhere beats being in my home constantly. 

19 hours ago, WAYNO said:

I am whining, I know.    I Pray this covid stuff soon is behind us, and we can get back to a normal world.😎

I hope you feel better now that you have that off your chest.

I'm sure we all hope Covid will be behind us soon and back to some resembalece of normal. 

Remember we are all in the same boat !!

We're sailing on Anthem Jan 9th, 11 day. This will be the second cruise for the family, (Oasis in Oct), since the restart. I added had a solo on Anthem in Dec. Only my wife expressed any concerns about missing ports, my son and I could care less. He's had some time times the last month and desperately needs to get away so there was never any question about cancelling. On the other hand, we've been thinking about doing a Northern Europe cruise. The way things are in such a state of flux for international travel I'm going to wait until things have been stable for at least a year before I consider it.