Beware of "policy changes". Just got ripped off $840

PatchyBoaty

5 hours ago, twangster said:

At the end of the day what are they going to do?  Turn away a Canadian citizen coming home who tests positive? 

We have friends crossing the border later today via ferry; one of whom tested positive. I am anxious to see what the process will be. Hoping it goes smoothly for them.  

1 hour ago, Jax said:

We have friends crossing the border later today via ferry; one of whom tested positive. I am anxious to see what the process will be. Hoping it goes smoothly for them.  

I am aware of a Canadian family (from Vancouver area) who was in Florida over the holidays. Grandparents took kids and grandkids on a cruise and to Disney world. PCR testing for return flights home resulted in 1 of 11 testing positive (asymptomatic). The remaining 10 flew back to Canada as scheduled while the positive member booked a domestic flight to Seattle. That’s right, he was able to book and board a US domestic flight after testing positive (but cruise lines, not air lines are the problem in the US 🙄). In Seattle he rented a car, drove to the border where he stated he was a Canadian citizen who tested positive and was heading home to quarantine. He was sent on his way with no issues 🤔

All the rules in place (in all countries) are designed to confuse and discourage people from travelling (as well as appease media and Facebook warriors) but don’t actually amount to anything at the end of the day.

48 minutes ago, Ray said:

Yer Fae Scotland! Furry boots? 🤣🤣

Question of the day

Fit fit fits fit fit?

Canna resist a wee bit o doric lol 

West end of Glasgow. Fluent in several languages but Aberdonian is not one of them!

Had to cheat and look it up! Answer: At een on at een, an at een on at een! 😂😂😂

13 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

...stated he was a Canadian citizen who tested positive and was heading home to quarantine. He was sent on his way with no issues 🤔

All the rules in place (in all countries) are designed to confuse and discourage people from travelling (as well as appease media and Facebook warriors) but don’t actually amount to anything at the end of the day.

I don't know that CBSA has the authority to deny a Canadian citizen from entering Canada.  Quarantine is their solution and for a Canadian resident that means... go home. 

All the superfluous verbiage and policy is smoke and mirrors.  Theatrics to make it sound like the world is a scary place and you will be doomed if you dare leave Canada. 

Meanwhile...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/5-charts-that-explain-how-covid-19-shaped-our-lives-in-2021-1.5723474

As of Dec. 10, 2021, data from Statistics Canada shows 68.4% cases were through community exposures and less than 1% from travel. However, 31% did not state their exposure.

2076476109_ScreenShot2021-12-31at1_15_09PM.jpg.844460191071fa30e3e54d9168077938.jpg

Many land based resorts only charge $40-$110 as per my research.... ie travelling to Mexico,, Planet Hollywood  rate was $90 a few weeks ago.    To glibly just say "eat it or leave it "   thats the world of travel currently,  is fine and dandy. Say that to a family of four or six who have planned this for a long time and  indirectly say  "sorry about your luck, cough it up or cancel "??     You are on a cruise ship. There really is nowhere else to go.  They got you and they know it.   I dont mind paying.  How about just doing it at wholesale cost whatever that is rather than a business markup?    Honestly...from free to this..? is quite a dramatic jump.    

On 12/31/2021 at 10:07 AM, twangster said:

Please post the outcome.  I'm guessing home quarantine.  

Here is the experience of friends; one of whom tested positive prior to their return to Canada. 
The backstory: they both had negative PCR tests but their flights were cancelled and it would be 6 days before they could be rebooked.  So they needed new PCR tests. One of them tested positive after having a slight headache a couple days earlier.  They spoke to US and Canadian health agencies and after waiting 5 days from onset of symptoms (CDC revised isolation requirements) and being symptom free, they flew to Seattle and attempted to return home by Ferry. They were denied entry on their scheduled Ferry (departing from the US) due to the positive Covid test. Plan B had them driving to land border at Blaine Washington. The CBSA agent directed them to the parking lot where they had to speak to an agent from the PHAC. After more than an hour a PHAC representative arrived outside their vehicle.  The agent took pictures of their Covid tests and Arrive Can QR code, provided them with at home test kits, outlined quarantine requirements (both are required to quarantine for 14 days, they must phone a number at the PHAC tomorrow to arrange for a monitored tele health Covid test, tomorrow is considered Day 1, another monitored test on Day 8). Even though several provinces including BC have reduced isolation/quarantine to 5 days it seems for now the Feds are keeping it at 14 days.  At the end the PHAC agent said they are subject to a fine of $5750 for arriving in Canada with a positive Covid test.  He went on to say this was not Federal law but rather a provincial one but since they were so compliant, didn’t argue and believed they had done everything legally required, they received a warning. They are now boarding a BC Ferry for their return home. To think, all of this started with a flight cancellation….

25 minutes ago, Jax said:

At the end the PHAC agent said they are subject to a fine of $5750 for arriving in Canada with a positive Covid test.  He went on to say this was not Federal law but rather a provincial one...

So shop the provinces for the cheapest fine and drive to the cheapest province.  Only in Canada, eh?

I bet this fine wouldn't hold up in court.  But then again it's Canada, so maybe.  

21 hours ago, Edmund said:

Many land based resorts only charge $40-$110 as per my research.... ie travelling to Mexico,, Planet Hollywood  rate was $90 a few weeks ago.    To glibly just say "eat it or leave it "   thats the world of travel currently,  is fine and dandy. Say that to a family of four or six who have planned this for a long time and  indirectly say  "sorry about your luck, cough it up or cancel "??     You are on a cruise ship. There really is nowhere else to go.  They got you and they know it.   I dont mind paying.  How about just doing it at wholesale cost whatever that is rather than a business markup?    Honestly...from free to this..? is quite a dramatic jump.    

Medical services in Mexico are ALWAYS cheaper than the equivalent services in the USA, this really is not a fair comparison. Besides, one is not beholden to use the cruise line provided PCR testing, they are free to "shop around" and price compare. A quick google search shows a facility near MIA airport offering $99 PCR testing.

Once off the ship, there is simply not enough time for shopping or any testing. Unless by February , there are kits you can buy and bring on the ship using internet .  I am hoping things change into the new year. But right now its $210.00  pay or cancel your trip. Or drive and do a Walgreens or local pharmacy if one wants to drive to the USA/Canada border.

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

Once off the ship, there is simply not enough time for shopping or any testing. Unless by February , there are kits you can buy and bring on the ship using internet .  I am hoping things change into the new year. But right now its $210.00  pay or cancel your trip. Or drive and do a Walgreens or local pharmacy if one wants to drive to the USA/Canada border.

Switch Health has the kits you can do over the internet. My understanding is these will get you on a flight to Canada. 

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Have received, literally, hundreds of price drops over the years. A few in just the last month. 

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th, .... that!

Looks like another "Hit and Runner" at work, eh!

Edited by 10-42
Looks like another "Hit and Runner"