So many questions(1st time on any cruise)

Coluk003

So I'm leaving for my cruise out of los Angeles on the Navigator of the seas for a 3n cruise. I had to jump on this free offer really quick and didnt have a chance to prepare..

1.So I see on the app I can check in on dec 28,is there a certain time or it's it midnight that night? Iirc my cruise sails at 6pm

2. This covid test, am I looking for a pcr test? Am I getting that name right? Is there no other test I look for(just so i know) Also i see a lot of folks in one thread discussing doing it over your phone with someone watching you and them verifying the results, what are they talking about and does it incur a cost? I see kaiser has a pcr test(if I'm using the right name) and it would be free is there a reason ppl are not going to their dr/provider for said test?

3. I do not plan on buying a food package, what restaurants on this ship can i eat at? Also I'm a type 1 diabetic and they have me as the My time dining does that only happen after 630pm each night? I'm afraid that's to late for me. This my time dining was automatically set up for me when i reserved this over email.

4. Is it safe to assume the rock climbing and surfing are NOT free,but water slides are included?

5. With such a short trip I'm pretty positive I'll not be doing anything on our day in ensanada, when they dock is there a beach to go to or areas that are safe to walk?(I may or may not be by myself)

6. So I invited someone and a quick post in another group said it was best to add them when you book and if they wont go remove them later. Besides waiting on the phone which I never mind no matter how long,  will I get some sort of money back if she doesnt go? For her I paid taxes and fees that's it IIRC

7. I do not drink alcohol , if the package was cheaper I might, but I've seen where you can bring on 12 bottles/can of soda(yes yes I know it's the devil) per person. I plan on have a backpack only with everything I need inside, can I carry them on in a supermarket bag? Also how many bags if I do decide to pack more can I bring? 

8. With such a short cruise I know they have "special dress nights" is this only in the main dining room? Also I'm a Jean's and tshirt kind of person what would be recommended to wear?  When seated in this dining area, I'm fully vaccinated, are you seated with other ppl not in your room? And if so how do I make sure I'm seated with other vaccinated ppl?

9. What are some good items as a first time cruiser that I should bring just in case(as far as medications) for possible sea sickness. I'm sure theres a pill out there for it or something.

10. Does anyone have an idea if leaving out of Los Angeles where I would park or even drive to? I know what youre thinking, how do I not know that lol? Well I dont go out very much and this is a huge step for me.

11. I dont feel good about my body. Picture a man 46 that's about 5 months pregnant lol. If and gosh I better, go swimming can I wear a shirt? What about on the water sliders? Do they allow those water shoes on the slides also?

I think that's it, if you have any tips I should read off the forums or in the forums post them. Any YouTube videos I should check out let me know( though I have been slowly)

Thank you all. The more information the better 🙂

I’ll let some people who have sailed recently answer the questions about testing but here are some quick hits on your other questions:

3. free restaurants on Navigator are main dining room, the buffet (called Windjammer), cafe promenade and sorentos pizza. You can also go a-la-carte (additional$) at playmakers (sports bar wings and burgers type stuff)

4. Rocking climbing, surf simulator (flow rider) and water slides are free. Also Ice skating and mini golf. Check the app and printed cruise compass for hours on these activities, but they are included.

7. If you don’t drink skip the deluxe package. You can carry on the 12 pack in a grocery bag. I’m not aware of a limit on bags, I’ve seen people check 4-5 big suitcases at the pier. Just keep in mind anything you carry with you, you will need to hang onto until your room is ready, a backpack and a grocery bag isn’t a big deal, but you’ll board the ship before your room is ready.

8. Don’t over think the dress code. You can do jeans on “dress your best night” bring a polo or button up, wear closed toe shoes and you’ll be totally fine. If you really want to do shorts and flip flops, hit the Buffett, they serve pretty much the same stuff.

11. Every size and shape and type of person will be cruising. Just have fun and be nice to people. I’m a dude and I like the swim-shirt “rash guard” tops just so I don’t have to deal with all the sunscreen. They allow those in pools and water slides. Water shoes can be hit or miss depending.

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This helped so much ty. I was under the impression you could upload your results into the app. Is that not the case? I'd also bring the letter stating my results but I was curious

19 minutes ago, micahd said:

I’ll let some people who have sailed recently answer the questions about testing but here are some quick hits on your other questions:

3. free restaurants on Navigator are main dining room, the buffet (called Windjammer), cafe promenade and sorentos pizza. You can also go a-la-carte (additional$) at playmakers (sports bar wings and burgers type stuff)

4. Rocking climbing, surf simulator (flow rider) and water slides are free. Also Ice skating and mini golf. Check the app and printed cruise compass for hours on these activities, but they are included.

7. If you don’t drink skip the deluxe package. You can carry on the 12 pack in a grocery bag. I’m not aware of a limit on bags, I’ve seen people check 4-5 big suitcases at the pier. Just keep in mind anything you carry with you, you will need to hang onto until your room is ready, a backpack and a grocery bag isn’t a big deal, but you’ll board the ship before your room is ready.

8. Don’t over think the dress code. You can do jeans on “dress your best night” bring a polo or button up, wear closed toe shoes and you’ll be totally fine. If you really want to do shorts and flip flops, hit the Buffett, they serve pretty much the same stuff.

11. Every size and shape and type of person will be cruising. Just have fun and be nice to people. I’m a dude and I like the swim-shirt “rash guard” tops just so I don’t have to deal with all the sunscreen. They allow those in pools and water slides. Water shoes can be hit or miss depending.

This is great info thank you. Now I have to research those shirts you're talking about 🙂

7 hours ago, Coluk003 said:

1.So I see on the app I can check in on dec 28,is there a certain time or it's it midnight that night? Iirc my cruise sails at 6pm

Check in should open at 12 midnight Eastern Time on the 28th. If you check in through the app you can click on arrival time and select that before putting in any of the other info and lock your time in before completing all of the info.

2. This covid test, am I looking for a pcr test? Am I getting that name right? Is there no other test I look for(just so i know) Also i see a lot of folks in one thread discussing doing it over your phone with someone watching you and them verifying the results, what are they talking about and does it incur a cost? I see kaiser has a pcr test(if I'm using the right name) and it would be free is there a reason ppl are not going to their dr/provider for said test?

Everyone age 12 and older must be vaccinated. That means you have to follow the current protocols for vaccinated guests which currently is a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before your sail date. Make sure you check back closer to your sail date to ensure nothing has changed with this as things are constantly evolving. Some folks get tested through their doctor but since this is a test for travel rather than to diagnose someone presenting with symptoms, sometimes insurance doesn't pay for it. Also a lot of PCR tests are processed in external labs so results could come back in 1-3 days. When people need those results in 2 days to get on the ship, they typically will pay for a guaranteed turnaround if they can't find somewhere that offers it at no charge. The at-home antigen tests you can order delivered to your house require a video call to be monitored while you take the test. There is 24/7 access with those and you get your results immediately so a lot of folks have opted to do that for the convenience.

6. So I invited someone and a quick post in another group said it was best to add them when you book and if they wont go remove them later. Besides waiting on the phone which I never mind no matter how long,  will I get some sort of money back if she doesnt go? For her I paid taxes and fees that's it IIRC

You will get back the fees and taxes paid if she no shows. You shouldn't even have to tell them ahead of time. It may require a call after the cruise to chase down the refund.

10. Does anyone have an idea if leaving out of Los Angeles where I would park or even drive to? I know what youre thinking, how do I not know that lol? Well I dont go out very much and this is a huge step for me.

Royal Caribbean sails out of San Pedro. 

https://sanpedro.com/cruise-ships/

This site should have the address and info about parking.

9. What are some good items as a first time cruiser that I should bring just in case(as far as medications) for possible sea sickness. I'm sure theres a pill out there for it or something.

The popular over the counter medicines for this are Dramamine and Bonine. Look for non-drowsy versions. They work best if they are taken before you get seasick but if you don't know that you are susceptible to it or not yet then you may have to wait until you sail to see if you are affected. You can also have your doctor get you a prescription for a scopolamine patch which is transdermal and goes behind your ear. 

11. I dont feel good about my body. Picture a man 46 that's about 5 months pregnant lol. If and gosh I better, go swimming can I wear a shirt? What about on the water sliders? Do they allow those water shoes on the slides also?

You can wear a shirt in the pool but they won't let you wear a shirt on the slide unless it's a rash guard. You also can't wear the water shoes on the slide. 

A: Check in usually starts at 12:00am EST on the given date. Sometimes it opens an hour earlier but we usually go for the 12:00am. Check in on the Royal Caribbean App and follow the instructions.

A: An Antigen Test is what you need although you can take a PCR test but it usually takes a lot longer for getting the results. If you want the internet based testing you can find the link on the Royal website or Optum.com.

3. I do not plan on buying a food package, what restaurants on this ship can i eat at? Also I'm a type 1 diabetic and they have me as the My time dining does that only happen after 630pm each night? I'm afraid that's to late for me. This my time dining was automatically set up for me when i reserved this over email.

A: The Main Dining Room, Windjammer Cafe, Sorrentos Pizza and Promenade Cafe are free. We ended up getting the Main Dining Room scheduled due to the issue you raised but did not eat there every night. You are not required to go there if you do not want to.

4. Is it safe to assume the rock climbing and surfing are NOT free,but water slides are included?

A: All the "sports" activities are free but you will have to sign a waiver on some.

5. With such a short trip I'm pretty positive I'll not be doing anything on our day in ensanada, when they dock is there a beach to go to or areas that are safe to walk?(I may or may not be by myself)

A: Sorry we did not stop there on our Navigator trip but others can comment.

A: If they are a no show at sail time, document it and turn it in to Royal for a refund of the fees and taxes. If they decide earlier not to go call Royal.

7. I do not drink alcohol , if the package was cheaper I might, but I've seen where you can bring on 12 bottles/can of soda(yes yes I know it's the devil) per person. I plan on have a backpack only with everything I need inside, can I carry them on in a supermarket bag? Also how many bags if I do decide to pack more can I bring? 

A: You can buy the Deluxe Beverage Package which is soft drinks. Depending on how many of those consumed per day it may be your best option and you do not have to cart around the soda cans on Embarkation day. They give you an insulated mug which you can refill at any time.

8. With such a short cruise I know they have "special dress nights" is this only in the main dining room? Also I'm a Jean's and tshirt kind of person what would be recommended to wear?  When seated in this dining area, I'm fully vaccinated, are you seated with other ppl not in your room? And if so how do I make sure I'm seated with other vaccinated ppl?

A: The dress code is what you want. We have had tuxedos, suits and tee shirts and shorts for "Dress Your Best Night". There is no pressure to get all dressed up. I usually wear a button down shirt and black jeans with no tie and no coat and never have an issue and I have seen folks in tee shirts and jeans plenty of times. Unless you are linked to another group you will sit by yourself. As you are vaccinated you will be in the vaccinated only area of the dining room.

9. What are some good items as a first time cruiser that I should bring just in case(as far as medications) for possible sea sickness. I'm sure there's a pill out there for it or something.

A: You can bring some Dramamine for sea sickness or have your physician prescribe a patch but we have never needed it, although the last Navigator sailing was a rough one.

10. Does anyone have an idea if leaving out of Los Angeles where I would park or even drive to? I know what you're thinking, how do I not know that lol? Well I dont go out very much and this is a huge step for me.

A: Try this.

https://parkingaccess.com/blog/los-angeles-cruise-parking

A: A lot of folks wear shirts in the pools and on the slides but have not seen water shoes except walking or at the beach. A good pair of flip flops is what I wear most days anyway.

31 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

A: Check in usually starts at 12:00am EST on the given date. Sometimes it opens an hour earlier but we usually go for the 12:00am. Check in on the Royal Caribbean App and follow the instructions.

A: An Antigen Test is what you need although you can take a PCR test but it usually takes a lot longer for getting the results. If you want the internet based testing you can find the link on the Royal website or Optum.com.

A: The Main Dining Room, Windjammer Cafe, Sorrentos Pizza and Promenade Cafe are free. We ended up getting the Main Dining Room scheduled due to the issue you raised but did not eat there every night. You are not required to go there if you do not want to.

A: All the "sports" activities are free but you will have to sign a waiver on some.

A: Sorry we did not stop there on our Navigator trip but others can comment.

A: If they are a no show at sail time, document it and turn it in to Royal for a refund of the fees and taxes. If they decide earlier not to go call Royal.

A: You can buy the Deluxe Beverage Package which is soft drinks. Depending on how many of those consumed per day it may be your best option and you do not have to cart around the soda cans on Embarkation day. They give you an insulated mug which you can refill at any time.

A: The dress code is what you want. We have had tuxedos, suits and tee shirts and shorts for "Dress Your Best Night". There is no pressure to get all dressed up. I usually wear a button down shirt and black jeans with no tie and no coat and never have an issue and I have seen folks in tee shirts and jeans plenty of times. Unless you are linked to another group you will sit by yourself. As you are vaccinated you will be in the vaccinated only area of the dining room.

9. What are some good items as a first time cruiser that I should bring just in case(as far as medications) for possible sea sickness. I'm sure there's a pill out there for it or something.

A: You can bring some Dramamine for sea sickness or have your physician prescribe a patch but we have never needed it, although the last Navigator sailing was a rough one.

10. Does anyone have an idea if leaving out of Los Angeles where I would park or even drive to? I know what you're thinking, how do I not know that lol? Well I dont go out very much and this is a huge step for me.

A: Try this.

https://parkingaccess.com/blog/los-angeles-cruise-parking

A: A lot of folks wear shirts in the pools and on the slides but have not seen water shoes except walking or at the beach. A good pair of flip flops is what I wear most days anyway.

Thank you very much . You're response to number 1 alone is something no one has answered lol. So for that alone I'm in your debt and love the detail you put into each response. I'll still be nervous till I'm actually on the ship then I can think" few that went smooth" 

#11, this is your place and these are your people. Since you can drive to the port (btw parking at the terminal is $20 a day, you have no real alternatives) I assume you live in Southern California. This is not a palm springs resort pool with aspiring actors and actresses, this one has a buffet. 5 months pregnant 46 YO male makes you pretty normal and you will fit right in. Cruise pools are the most accepting places on the planet, I guarantee you will not be body shamed or even feel out of place. My wife was mid 40's on our first cruise and fretted because we live in San Diego and bikini events are horrific for real women with curves. 7 cruises later she realizes she is usually in the top ten hottest women at the cruise pool and still is in her mid 50's (my wife is smoking hot and still turns heads, but living amongst movie stars and models gives a distorted view of ones self). No better confidence booster than a cruise pool vs a southern california pool for feeling accepted. For those from other areas, so cal has probably the highest percentage of eating disorders and plastic surgery on the planet, thankfully cruises are just regular people with regular bodies and regular attitudes. Wear the t shirt if you want to avoid sun damage but not to hide yourself, those people don't go on mass market cruises. We can afford to go where they go because we have been lucky but we prefer the company of real people because still feel and look like regular people, I think you will feel that same acceptance.