Cozumel and Costa Maya excursion recommendations

Livtocruise

I have a cruise next September with stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya. We would prefer to book our excursions though RCI and am looking for peoples personal experiences and recommendations. I live in Florida near the beach so I’m not looking for beach only excursions. If it stops in the beach for a bit that’s totally fine and sounds fun, but would like more variety. 

We would like to see the ruins, possibly go to Tulum, maybe Chichen Itza? i know some of these are a bus ride away, but this may be one of the only times we go to Mexico so I do want to see as much as possibly. Not really interested in the dolphin swims, open bar, and ATV ride type excursions either. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 10:39 AM, Livtocruise said:

I have a cruise next September with stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya. We would prefer to book our excursions though RCI and am looking for peoples personal experiences and recommendations. I live in Florida near the beach so I’m not looking for beach only excursions. If it stops in the beach for a bit that’s totally fine and sounds fun, but would like more variety. 

We would like to see the ruins, possibly go to Tulum, maybe Chichen Itza? i know some of these are a bus ride away, but this may be one of the only times we go to Mexico so I do want to see as much as possibly. Not really interested in the dolphin swims, open bar, and ATV ride type excursions either. 

We did the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins & Bacalar Lagoon Beach - and loved it. The ruins were a lot of fun- we saw monkeys in the trees while we were there! The kids will enjoy them as you can climb on some of the ruins! The drive to the ruins allowed us to see a good bit of Costa Maya. It is such a beautiful island  place! There IS beach time at the lagoon. It is so peaceful with calm water, no seaweed when we were there. We also live near the beach, but we liked this tour so much that we are booking the Lagoon only version on our next trip to Costa Maya.

• 2 weeks later...

In Costa Maya, we LOVED our tour with a company called The Native Choice https://www.thenativechoice.com/tours/mayan-experience-tour.  Our tour guides were Alondra and Saul (not sure if they are still there, but highly recommend them). You will have to walk just outside the port to find them, but it is a very short walk, easy to find, and we only had to wait for one other family before our tour began (passenger van style). Included is a to visit the Chacchoben ruins, which is a smaller ruin area, but very few crowds and excellent information from Alondra on our visit.

Our Cozumel private excursion was cancelled due to high winds, but we were booked with https://www.cozumelpearlfarm.mx/. Excellent communication from them while planning, and no problem in getting our refund when cancelled last minute. If you do happen to go, let me know how it is! We ended up doing a private jeep tour with a wonderful gentleman named Francisco, Xunaan tequila and chocolate tasting, tour of the island, some beach time.

I realize these are not through RCI, but we felt safe, with no concerns of timing getting back to the ship.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:23 PM, Jakejosa said:

We did the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins & Bacalar Lagoon Beach - and loved it. The ruins were a lot of fun- we saw monkeys in the trees while we were there! The kids will enjoy them as you can climb on some of the ruins! The drive to the ruins allowed us to see a good bit of Costa Maya. It is such a beautiful island  place! There IS beach time at the lagoon. It is so peaceful with calm water, no seaweed when we were there. We also live near the beach, but we liked this tour so much that we are booking the Lagoon only version on our next trip to Costa Maya.

Thank you! This was actually one excursion I was looking at! 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:22 PM, travellingtannis said:

In Costa Maya, we LOVED our tour with a company called The Native Choice https://www.thenativechoice.com/tours/mayan-experience-tour.  Our tour guides were Alondra and Saul (not sure if they are still there, but highly recommend them). You will have to walk just outside the port to find them, but it is a very short walk, easy to find, and we only had to wait for one other family before our tour began (passenger van style). Included is a to visit the Chacchoben ruins, which is a smaller ruin area, but very few crowds and excellent information from Alondra on our visit.

Our Cozumel private excursion was cancelled due to high winds, but we were booked with https://www.cozumelpearlfarm.mx/. Excellent communication from them while planning, and no problem in getting our refund when cancelled last minute. If you do happen to go, let me know how it is! We ended up doing a private jeep tour with a wonderful gentleman named Francisco, Xunaan tequila and chocolate tasting, tour of the island, some beach time.

I realize these are not through RCI, but we felt safe, with no concerns of timing getting back to the ship.

Thanks for mentioning about cancelations. With the current environment, it’s always important that 3rd party excursion companies will give you a refund. I will definitely look into these options