Using the app on the ship

Petra

On a related matter, if you are trying to check in now with the phone app, be sure it is the latest version.  I had to un-install the old app I downloaded a year ago in order to install the latest version for the purpose of uploading COVID information/images.  The earlier version didn't have all of the check in options.

On 12/25/2021 at 3:04 PM, Matt said:

Nope, app is free and you don’t need to buy an internet package to use the app. 

once on the ship, sign onto Royal’s WiFi. There is an option to just use the app. 

Matt, thanks! How do you stay in touch with your 11 yr old, since she can’t have the app/account herself? And what about the emuster drill? Struggling to figure this out for my 12 yr old.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, Moxiegirl1977 said:

Matt, thanks! How do you stay in touch with your 11 yr old, since she can’t have the app/account herself? And what about the emuster drill? Struggling to figure this out for my 12 yr old.  Thanks!

When our kids were younger we used walkie-talkies to keep in touch on our cruises.

16 hours ago, Moxiegirl1977 said:

Walkie talkies will work within a deck or two usually.  I still have no clue but message boards on doors can work as well.  Just have to set something up so they can write down where they are heading to and get everyone in a routine to check in whenever they move from one area to another or at least within reason.

For the muster drills everyone can actually use the same device at the same time.  Should be able to check a box showing who is there.  Then everyone will head down to their assigned assembly station and get scanned.  After that they are done.

For the app as said it is important to turn on airplane mode but that is IF your provider has a roaming agreement with the shipboard provider.  MVNO's probably will not but the big 3 (Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile) probably do.  Before leaving I would make a quick call about that to confirm and also find out about the roaming policy in a foreign country.  While you are near or on land you can probably connect to cellular for communications but again it may be a major cost so be careful.  I personally have service through Google FI and there is nothing I have to worry about while on the ship as they do not have a roaming agreement with the shipboard provider but they do have agreements with at least one carrier in most countries where US passports are accepted.  I get texting and data included for no extra charges and calls are usually around 20 cents per minute.  My last 2 week cruise on Liberty of the Seas had about 80 cents worth of charges as I had to make a couple calls but they were under 10 seconds if they connected so my next bill had a refund of 80 cents on it.