Fishing for cruise drama.

teddy

I can not express more strongly that this Captain IS amazing on the Odyssey. He speaks to us several times a day, I feel well informed and cared for. I would love to give him the biggest hug. We will always remember our Holiday sailing with fondness to him and this incredible team. 

It wasn't what we had imagined, but it was still a beautiful sailing. Merry Christmas!!

I just read several accounts on Cruise Critic that nobody knows anything on Symphony. Pax embarked and didn't know that shows and such would be cancelled. Said they are mad because of lack of transparency. I don't know how true this is, but given the other accounts it sounds like people just want to complain for fame.

46 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

We all know the deal about cruising in the pandemic. Any complaints are unrealistic. It infuriates me reading these articles in MSM from passengers who allege the wool was pulled over their eyes etc. the cruise industry needs all our support. 

Yup. At this point in the pandemic, you know *exactly* what you're getting yourself into, and if you don't, it's on you, not the cruise line.

Saw that post on FB  last night, in a few places. I questioned it cause "Closing off deck 6" basically shuts the busiest parts of the ship. Those cabins are balconies with a very skinny walk way. The port side basically behind playmakers. Starboard behind Johny Rockets, Beach, and Sugar shack. They empty out not far from Shore excursion and next cruise by the elevators at the opening to the promenade. There are more rooms forward but they are in the area of the spa. I think we would have heard if the guts of a jimbo ship were blocked to the public by those aboard. I specifcally asked and nobody verified... Went to see updates on the post and another about explorer and both were gone from the places I saw them. PS: I'm booked deck 6 behind Playmakers  on the 9th...  No notifications of room change like ther ships did...

On that same cesspool site there has been a particularly loud lady claiming she was not tested though she demanded to be. She has posted in sevearl groups and even contacted media.  Most of those on that crusie that were in contact with the original "sick person" were not only tested but most of them were totally asymptomatic or very mild. She claimed to be pretty sick as was her grown daughter. That lead me to believe she didn't get it at least where the others got t. He symptoms seemed to be advanced to where shepossibly had it before boarding even. . To me it had all the outward staged appearance of smeone looking to sue???? The posts seem to have come to a halt... 

I have seen so much Bravo Sierra the last few days over there that I have taken up watching TV shows , enjoying my loved ones company, and if I need a fix of cruise talk ... shift over here fr a little while... 

30 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That blogger hates the cruise industry. Not sure why he runs a blog about something he hates

There are some who just live for Drama... I recenly took notice of a guy who admins a few groups. He goes out of his way to find every negative word he can about RCL  and their cruises he can find!  He then reposts them in several groups... Even has a  group for particular RCL ship(s) . Anybody on his groups try to debate him, he simply blocks. Refused to look at data from a leading researcher who is an infectious disease expert or even the CDC regarding the milder effects most omicron patients are experiencing. He countered with "South Africa" and articles  from there were provided  by members to back up the other claims. He blocked and banned the ones who provided that hard data countering his claim that Omicron was surely the death sentence for the cruise industry.  I mentioned last night a number of unsubstantiated rumors like the one ths thread is about, er all over "social media" . The same guy was the one copying and pasting in several places...  THe sky is falling kind of guy. Thinks he's big in tight with RCL. I'm pretty sure they see his negativity and reposting of any anti RCL trash for what it is... 

I have been on the Anthem four times since she returned to the US in November. Deck 6 forward is closed as a ‘Crew Only Area’. That’s the area where, as their protocols require, they are maintaining a sealed section to be used for quarantining only. It’s kept sanitized and isolated even though very few rooms are being used at one time. Every time new crew members board to begin their contracts, they are quarantined for two weeks. The first week is a ‘hard quarantine’ where they can not leave the cabin and get examined for symptoms and tested daily. The second week is a ‘soft quarantine’ where they can access certain limited crew areas only. In the event a crew member tests positive, contact tracing results in many other crew members being quarantined. Regardless of them having negative tests and no symptoms. That’s what happened to the entire entertainment crew during the first two weeks. One production cast member tested positive and they quarantined the entire cast and production crew for two weeks. Both production shows were cancelled (We Will Rock You and Spectra’s Cabaret).

Other times there were sections of passengers corridors that were closed. The access doors were shut and crew guarded them. This was because they were deep cleaning the corridors. It happened all throughout the ship at various times…especially overnight. It was a scheduled cleaning done as part of the protocols. I was asked to wait for 30 mins before I could access my cabin. Another time, I received a phone call in my cabin informing me they were doing the scheduled deep cleaning of the corridor and asked if I’d rather leave or stay inside for thirty minutes until it was completed. 

I have been very impressed with their cleaning and sanitizing efforts. But, I can see how someone would reasonably mistake simple routine and repeat procedures with something unusual. It’s an unusual time for cruising. Stay informed and don’t pay attention to those with an obvious agenda. Weigh all the facts and make your choice. After eight cruises since September, I feel safe and choose to cruise!😎

On 12/25/2021 at 10:45 AM, teddy said:

Trolling social media looking for dirt.

Pisses me off when people do this…whether it’s cruise related or not 

Just got off of Oasis.  Deck 6 forward was closed off but that was that way from the start and our genie told us it was the crew quarantine area where new sign ons go for their required quarantine period.

That said the captain announced our we had a 1.4% positive rate as of the last night all asymptomatic or mild.  We sailed with about 4500 guests and 2000 crew I believe so that is ~90 give or take five or ten based on exact numbers.

the cruise was great and we didn’t really even notice.

Sadly so many people are used to ignoring message boards and onboard announcements that they truly think they don't know what is going on.  I will admit most of the time I can't understand half of what is said in the announcements.  My hearing is good but only in one to one conversations without background noise.  Start introducing noise or echo's and I can not pick out what is said a lot of times.  Actually it would be nice if they would run the latest announcements as a banner above the screens in the halls or on a tv channel like the one that usually has the forward facing camera and location information so if you couldn't hear it you can at least read it.

With that said when major things are happening I would think people would try and listen up when an announcement is happening.  Sadly those same people who don't are also the ones who don't read the emails when there is updates and would probably sign their life away when they buy things that come with a contract of some sort.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I always have trouble understanding most of the PA announcements, too.  My hearing is NOT good but for those announcements I don't think it really matters....

I agree most of the time the announcements don't really matter. The Captain's one's are a bit more important some days especially when the waters are a little rough for me. But I would expect that when something major is going down people would want to at least try to listen. 

7 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

I agree most of the time the announcements don't really matter. The Captain's one's are a bit more important some days especially when the waters are a little rough for me. But I would expect that when something major is going down people would want to at least try to listen. 

Sorry....I didn't mean to insinuate that the announcements themselves weren't important....I meant that my [poor] hearing has little to do with not being able to understand them.  They always sound like they have a mouth full of marbles !

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Sorry....I didn't mean to insinuate that the announcements themselves weren't important....I meant that my [poor] hearing has little to do with not being able to understand them.  They always sound like they have a mouth full of marbles !

No harm no foul,  lol. And I agree they always sound awful and the echo makes it worse. 

I know they still have the knob and speaker but it's almost like they are not hooked up.  I want to say that the first time I was on Liberty of the Seas it did work and that was in 2019.  I am guessing the rheostat or switch inside doesn't stand up to constant turning.

5 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

I know they still have the knob and speaker but it's almost like they are not hooked up.  I want to say that the first time I was on Liberty of the Seas it did work and that was in 2019.  I am guessing the rheostat or switch inside doesn't stand up to constant turning.

I've only seen that on older ships (Mariner/Navigator).  I haven't seen this knob on Ovation, Symphony or Allure.

13 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

Sadly so many people are used to ignoring message boards and onboard announcements that they truly think they don't know what is going on.  I will admit most of the time I can't understand half of what is said in the announcements.  My hearing is good but only in one to one conversations without background noise.  Start introducing noise or echo's and I can not pick out what is said a lot of times.  Actually it would be nice if they would run the latest announcements as a banner above the screens in the halls or on a tv channel like the one that usually has the forward facing camera and location information so if you couldn't hear it you can at least read it.

With that said when major things are happening I would think people would try and listen up when an announcement is happening.  Sadly those same people who don't are also the ones who don't read the emails when there is updates and would probably sign their life away when they buy things that come with a contract of some sort.

I've missed announcements on Oasis and Anthem, unable to play them in the cabin.  If I happen to hear the bing bing I have to jump up and crack open the cabin door (assuming I am awake to hear the bing bing).  Other times there are announcements made at entertainment venues, which only helps those who were at the venue!  The echo in Central Park on Oasis is so bad that I can't even catch what the announcement is-even if there is no extra noise around.    They need a better system.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Back when we first started cruising there were speakers inside the staterooms (and a modulation dial for volume).  Now when there's an announcement someone has to stick their heads out into the hallway.  What's up with that?

Thank you for confirming this.  I thought it was me and I just couldnt find the switch. The announcements come into the room speakers and on the television on DCL. Not enough to make me want to go back to them.

• 2 weeks later...

So as I posted elsewhere in another thread about our Symphony sailing cancelled at last minute, my wife had posted about her disappointment on some cruising group she belongs to on Facebook (I don’t participate in the book of faces so not sure what group). It was not anything negative she was just voicing her disappointment. Unbelievably, within 15 minutes she received a private message from a reporter from USA Today asking if she would be interviewed about it! My wife immediately blocked this person. We have nothing negative to say about the cruise lines. We knew exactly the environment we are in and made the decision to take the risk. 

We just couldn’t believe that this reporter is apparently trolling cruising boards trying to find a story to get her name out there because anything cruise related is a hot topic right now. We’d much rather talk about how unsafe we felt on a sold out flight with people coughing and hacking for hours on end!