Have a Covid testing plan B - extra kit

gomammoth22

Leaving tomorrow for the Oasis sailing on the 26th.  Ordered 4 of the At Home tests knowing that testing on Xmas Eve would be a nightmare.  Did first test, no problem.  Opened the second one as instructed… no liquid solution.  It was empty.  Of course there is no possible way to know this ahead of time, since you can’t open until in the testing session.  I opened another one to take the test and proceeded.  Was furious with myself for not ordering an extra (trusting no one could screw up putting 3 things in a box) and mad about the test protocol since there is NO WAY to know if everything is correct in the test kit.  As it turned out, I opened the last of the 4 test kits and it also had an empty solution bottle.  Even one extra wouldn’t have been enough.  However I recommend to all order at least one extra.  I paid $400 out of pocket to get the two other test results I needed. 

Merry Christmas. We sail January 1st and I thought I had a good grip on the testing requirements but after reading this thread I'm a little confused. Do we have to provide our own tests day of check-in based on everyone referencing at home tests? 2 of us are vaccinated and 2 children are not.

48 minutes ago, Nsomm54 said:

Merry Christmas. We sail January 1st and I thought I had a good grip on the testing requirements but after reading this thread I'm a little confused. Do we have to provide our own tests day of check-in based on everyone referencing at home tests? 2 of us are vaccinated and 2 children are not.

For the adults you still have to show a negative covid test taken 2 days prior to your set sail date and for the children I believe the time frame is still 3 days prior to set sail date. 

I think the issue is you should have a back up plan especially if your plan is to go to for example Walgreens, CVS or any other accredited testing location as some of these locations are now taking 3-5 days to return test results do to overwhelming demand.  Here in Chicago right before Christmas our local news was reporting that the time it takes test results to come back was up to 5 days from 1 day do to the crushing demand for test and labs just not able to keep up.  For anyone taking a cruise that is horrible news especially if they don't have the at home test kits. Having the at home test kit could be an insurance policy for you just in case for one reason or another you don't get your test results back in time.  However it may be difficult to get your hands on the appropriate at home test kit that Royal accepts.