Had Covid but says I can test positive up to 3 months

BD1157

Had 2 Shots and a Booster shot. Still came down with a mild case of a Covid.

It has been 14 days since I tested positive. Re-Tested yesterday and still getting a positive result.

They told me I can test positive up to 3 months after having the Covid even though I'm not contagious.

We have a cruise coming up in 24 days. I may not test negative even though I no longer have the Covid.

Do I need to cancel my cruise or does anyone know of a work around for a positive test?

Thanks 

Brad

5 minutes ago, BD1157 said:

Had 2 Shots and a Booster shot. Still came down with a mild case of a Covid.

It has been 14 days since I tested positive. Re-Tested yesterday and still getting a positive result.

They told me I can test positive up to 3 months after having the Covid even though I'm not contagious.

We have a cruise coming up in 24 days. I may not test negative even though I no longer have the Covid.

Do I need to cancel my cruise or does anyone know of a work around for a positive test?

Thanks 

Brad

I am pretty sure it is acceptable to show your positive Covid test result  for up to 90 days as a "work around."

6 hours ago, Eggbert said:

I am pretty sure it is acceptable to show your positive Covid test result  for up to 90 days as a "work around."

Maybe try an unsupervised antigen test to see what happens.   You may test positive with antigen for a while, but I'd be shocked if antigen came up positive if you're recovered.

I was also told by our TA to stop testing at least 14 days before the cruise if you don’t want to risk a positive result (even if you test negative afterwards). You will be asked two times (once on the app and once at the port) if you’ve tested positive within the past 14 days. Assuming you tested positive (despite a negative test afterwards), and you answer the questions truthfully, you will be denied boarding. ALSO, anyone in your family/party that was in contact with someone who tested positive in the past 14 days before boarding will be denied. Our TA had more than one group show up to the port only to be denied boarding.

This is a good article (though highly technical) that explains that vaccinated individuals may test positive up until 10-14 days after the peak viral load. https://timmermanreport.com/2021/12/controlling-covid-in-2022-masks-treatments-and-fast-frequent-testing/

This attached graph from the article shows on average how long after peak infection you would like test positive for the PCR test. Since the antigen test is less sensitive you would likely get a negative result from that sooner. But YMMV and it’s all very person-specific with many variables (how sick you were, the exposure that made you sick, how good your immune system is, etc.)

Hope this helps. I’m going through the same thing with two friends who tested positive this week and a cruise upcoming in February.

0503C2E2-6314-499C-852B-CE9063C4731B.jpeg

1 hour ago, mattpan said:

Since the antigen test is less sensitive you would likely get a negative result from that sooner

PCR tests can return a positive result so late because they're looking for the RNA fragments, which can persist long after the virus is no longer capable of replicating.

Think of antigen vs. PCR in the hunt for fresh roadkill. Antigen test will pick up on the flesh (proteins that comprise the virus). After a while there's no more flesh left, so then the antigen test returns negative. PCR test looks for the carcass (RNA of the virus). It could be a deer hit by a car 10 minutes ago, or could be just fur and bones a month later.  So yes it's a carcass, but it's not feeding any scavengers anymore.

Thanks everyone. This is becoming a adventure. I was not thinking clearly and booked a plane ticket to arrive 3 days before the cruise. Though we would go to Sanibel Island to do some sheeling. Plan to visit the Everglades but now I realize that means we have to do the covid test in Florida. I will have to schedule a Florida test from Minnesota hope I can get a couple and I have to make sure it is a Antigen one. Once again thanks for the help and wish us a little luck that we get to board.

38 minutes ago, BD1157 said:

Thanks everyone. This is becoming a adventure. I was not thinking clearly and booked a plane ticket to arrive 3 days before the cruise. Though we would go to Sanibel Island to do some sheeling. Plan to visit the Everglades but now I realize that means we have to do the covid test in Florida. I will have to schedule a Florida test from Minnesota hope I can get a couple and I have to make sure it is a Antigen one. Once again thanks for the help and wish us a little luck that we get to board.

I wouldn't worry about trying to find a place in Florida to do it.  Just order the home test from emed that is good for the cruise.  You can then do it on your own.

• 2 months later...
On 12/23/2021 at 3:24 PM, mattpan said:

I was also told by our TA to stop testing at least 14 days before the cruise if you don’t want to risk a positive result (even if you test negative afterwards). You will be asked two times (once on the app and once at the port) if you’ve tested positive within the past 14 days. Assuming you tested positive (despite a negative test afterwards), and you answer the questions truthfully, you will be denied boarding. ALSO, anyone in your family/party that was in contact with someone who tested positive in the past 14 days before boarding will be denied. Our TA had more than one group show up to the port only to be denied boarding.

On 12/23/2021 at 3:24 PM, mattpan said:

What?!?!. If I was positive 11 days prior and returned a negative within the required 48 hours, I will be denied? Is that mentioned somewhere? 

23 hours ago, Chase said:

What?!?!. If I was positive 11 days prior and returned a negative within the required 48 hours, I will be denied? Is that mentioned somewhere? 

If you answer the boarding questions truthfully, yes. Currently the questions are have you tested positive within the past 10 days and have you been exposed to someone who has tested positive in the past 14 days.