Oddessy Blocked from Dock In Curacao?

deep1

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I thought I read that a couple crew members tested positive during routine testing.

Yes, I also read that the captain announced onboard that a couple crew members tested positive during routine testing.  Some shows were cancelled out of an abundance of caution.  At least, that is a report from someone onboard.

Could be related.

Yes we are on board Odyssey right now. We have been denied entry into Curacao because of 54 positive cases on board. Captain announcement came up 20 minutes ago. They will keep us informed when they hear from RCI headquarters what’s going to happen next. In the meantime we are docked at Curacao and awaiting further instruction. We will not be going ashore

2 hours ago, Clover18 said:

Yes we are on board Odyssey right now. We have been denied entry into Curacao because of 54 positive cases on board. Captain announcement came up 20 minutes ago. They will keep us informed when they hear from RCI headquarters what’s going to happen next. In the meantime we are docked at Curacao and awaiting further instruction. We will not be going ashore

@Clover18 thank you for posting first hand information,  Please keeps us informed if that is possible.

Wishing you good health and a safe return

1 hour ago, Jill said:

Just read that Carnival Freedom denied today in Aruba. 

Aruba is closing their port to all cruise ships per tour operator that just contacted passenger on Odyssey 

Hope this variant passes through quickly

I read that it's already on a downward trend in South Africa, so here's hoping!

All of this is why we decided today to cancel our cruise.  No ports, no shows, and standing room only at a pool sounds awful for my kids first cruise and my husband already wants a reason to hate cruises more than he already does.  We are out.  Called and they said we will get a cash refund in 30 to 60 days and if that happens and no FCC we will be looking at all different cruiselines for next year.

56 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

will be looking at all different cruise lines for next year.

a cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

if you study it Royal Caribbean has had the best record of the major 3 in both telling passenger what going on and taking care of them if the come down with the big C.

all this is the result of the new more transmissible variant.

I have a personal opinion on how we should be handling those that are asymptomatic or with minor symptoms, but then that is only my opinion.

You will never have NO cases of the big C on a cruise and should not expect to.

BTW i sail tomorrow, so ask me in 8 days if it was worth it or if my opinion had changed?

This week has been a good reminder for everyone that is going on a cruise until further notice to expect the unexpected.

We were lucky that most of the summer and fall was largely uninterrupted, but those of us who went on cruises back in June and July anticipated more changes regularly.

So if you have a cruise booked at all going forward, until Covid is akin to Zika now (in terms of a non-issue), assume something like this could happen on your sailing. 

32 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

a cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

if you study it Royal Caribbean has had the best record of the major 3 in both telling passenger what going on and taking care of them if the come down with the big C.

all this is the result of the new more transmissible variant.

I have a personal opinion on how we should be handling those that are asymptomatic or with minor symptoms, but then that is only my opinion.

You will never have NO cases of the big C on a cruise and should not expect to.

BTW i sail tomorrow, so ask me in 8 days if it was worth it or if my opinion had changed?

I am not blaming RC.  I do think they upped the capacity too fast, that is just my personal opinion.  But the only reason we did RC is it was the only one that my son could go on.  Next year when he is vaccinated we will have lots of options so we may or may not stick with RC.

My biggest reason for cancelling is being stuck on a ship with no shows or ports and 3 kids.  That sounds like zero fun and my husband would throw a fit because he is not into cruises and wanted the ports.  So it seemed not worth the risk for the insane amount of money we were paying.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

This week has been a good reminder for everyone that is going on a cruise until further notice to expect the unexpected.

We were lucky that most of the summer and fall was largely uninterrupted, but those of us who went on cruises back in June and July anticipated more changes regularly.

So if you have a cruise booked at all going forward, until Covid is akin to Zika now (in terms of a non-issue), assume something like this could happen on your sailing.

I agree it can happen, it just seems with Omicron spreading like it is, the chances of 50 people testing positive and that shutting stuff down is a higher chance.  I could be wrong and all goes well next week, but I didn't want to take the risk with an already hesitant husband.  I booked for the lower capacity and it seems all I hear about is how crowded the ships are and long lines on here.  That already had me hesitant mixed with not being able to AO because of the lower capacity in AO but higher capacity on ship.  Now ports closing?  Just didn't seem worth it anymore.  We are all bummed but we are looking at maybe a short beach vacation instead.  Advantages of living in Florida.

10 hours ago, deep1 said:

Reportedly: 50% FCC + Refundable On board Credit of 2 nights costs....

This really does sound like RC is trying to make right on such an unfortunate situation.  Although it's got to be super disappointing, I personally would be happy just to be on the ship.  But, I'm in freezing cold Ohio and haven't been on a cruise in almost 3 years.  At this point, I would be happy to just be on a cruise to nowhere.

5 hours ago, need2cruz said:

This really does sound like RC is trying to make right on such an unfortunate situation.  Although it's got to be super disappointing, I personally would be happy just to be on the ship.  But, I'm in freezing cold Ohio and haven't been on a cruise in almost 3 years.  At this point, I would be happy to just be on a cruise to nowhere.

Basically getting back 6 of the 8 nights and still get to be aboard. Limited yes but better than sitting in 30 degree weather...

15 hours ago, Matt said:

Matt want to take a quick moment to thank you for all you do. It doesn't go unnoticed. I'm thankful for a place  to go with real info instead of the "OMG" ficticious  nonsense I see elsewhere...  Ok , you can get back to keeping us informed now... 🙂

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

This wouldn't have been avoided with lower capacities.  Just a lot of bad luck and timing for those on those cruises that happened to occur right when omicron got its grip. 

Absolutely spot on assessment. Time in life is everything. This Will pass very quickly. Just sucks for the people on ships right now and the next couple of weeks. 

On 12/23/2021 at 7:20 AM, need2cruz said:

My son and I were on this cruise. Once we got over the disappointment of not getting to go to Curacao or Aruba, we still had an awesome time. The weather was gorgeous (we're from CT, so spending Dec in 80 degrees was heaven) and CocoCay was fun. The compensation they offered really did make up for it. We were concerned about the growing Covid cases onboard, of course, but since most were the entertainment crew members, we hoped it wouldn't spread too rapidly among the guests. I have since read that testing/quarantining among affected guests wasn't so efficient, so they really need to do a better job when it comes to that. Overall, it was a great Christmas cruise, especially for the price. My feeling is, if we'd vacationed anywhere else, we would've been in the vicinity of just as many Covid-positive people, the only difference is we wouldn't have been aware of it. So it's a matter of not going on a trip at all or knowing the risk. This was our first vacation since before Covid and I was tired of trying to wait it out. I'm glad we went.