Odyssey Right Now

Neesa

We are booked on Odyssey in February.     Already, one port had changed, and now  Curacao and/or Aruba? 🥴

Our flight to Fort Lauderdale for this upcoming cruise was cancelled by  United, nearly two months ago, and I'm still at a loss to get either a credit or a refund.   Makes me leery to re-book the flight and chance losing another airfare in the event there are more cruise closures.

Maybe this is all an omen, and this cruise wasn't meant to be.  I'm double-disappointed, as my Wife cruised in November, and everything was wonderful.😎

All of this is why I never cruise during holidays, or peak season. I feel bad for @Neesabut also glad they are trying to make the best of a bad situation. I am also glad I am a late diner, I heard (saw and was always in tutus) about a support dog in the lounge/CK on Allure. She apparently was feeding the dog from her mouth. I get the sentiment: you and your family can't enjoy these perks you paid for, but dogs can. At 50% we were just barely able to enjoy a lounge on the suite deck, 2 people to each chair sounds crazy.

Skipping Aruba tomorrow confirmed. We are getting compensation which is welcome. I know it involves OBC and a FCC. @Clover18 can you add to this? Please? We were eating dinner and it was loud, I could not hear specifics, intoxicated people loudly laughing and banging on the table, I'm just astonished at the offer. Sailing and eating for the rest of the trip, bring a wheel barrel to disembarkation I'm gonna need it. 

6 minutes ago, Neesa said:

Skipping Aruba tomorrow confirmed. We are getting compensation which is welcome. I know it involves OBC and a FCC. @Clover18 can you add to this? Please? We were eating dinner and it was loud, I could not hear specifics, intoxicated people loudly laughing and banging on the table, I'm just astonished at the offer. Sailing and eating for the rest of the trip, bring a wheel barrel to disembarkation I'm gonna need it. 

If you have travel insurance, many companies will accept a claim for missed ports. People on my October Symphony were going to file for missing CocoCay 

I don’t think this is a doomed ghost ship, Royal had a situation, they had a plan in place to address the situation, they have to report to ports, the ports decided against allowing us to dock to protect their citizens. In the long run, we the cruiser’s have to be truthful in our disclosures to Royal, that was the original issue that brought us back to FLL, then every close contact had to be quarantined, so here we are it is what it is

Here is the letter we just received in our cabin. My refunds for excursions as well as the two days refund already hit my on board account. While I struggle with Royal and the reason we got here I feel they have handled this with transparency and the unexpected compensation is MORE then generous in my humble opinion. 

20211222_231025.jpg

16 hours ago, Neesa said:

AND an emotional support dog with a dyed purple and blue tail. The dog also dines in #CK every night.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Where does he goto the bathroom? Hopefully hot on the fake grass on the mini golf course!!

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Enjoy your trip.  In case this wasn't posted already, ( the ignorance in the comments are outrageous but not surprising to those of us that love to cruise)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/12/22/royal-caribbean-covid-outbreak-odyssey/

9 hours ago, Neesa said:

Here is the letter we just received in our cabin. My refunds for excursions as well as the two days refund already hit my on board account. While I struggle with Royal and the reason we got here I feel they have handled this with transparency and the unexpected compensation is MORE then generous in my humble opinion. 

20211222_231025.jpg

This is what I meant.  And this is what I love about RC. 

@WAAAYTOOO, I replied from my cell phone but it's not showing up, hopefully this is not a duplicate.

J and I are fine, she has been keeping up on the Facebook side of things and I've been swamped. I felt like I had some input/insight on this cruise so I thought I would add some commentary.

Good to hear from you, we just need to make it through a few more years and then join you in retirement.

20 hours ago, Neesa said:

20211222_231025.jpg

Wow that’s super generous!  I actually really enjoy the sea days so that would be a sweet bonus!

21 hours ago, Neesa said:

20211222_231025.jpg

A solid deal by RCI, especially considering they, as a business is not responsible for the decisions of those countries.

22 hours ago, Neesa said:

20211222_231025.jpg

Wow, very generous! Aruba & Curaçao are great but this is better. Odyssey really is the destination anyway!

@ChrisK2793 I second this. Based in Florida and living our lives. My daughter has attended high school in person and (gasp) no masks. Totally a choice for families, while we are not arrogant about the situation and do our best to respect others while going about living. We are on this ship right now (Odyssey) and our days are pretty packed. We wait in long lines but participated in the bumper cars multiple sessions, I fly, the jumpy thing and the shows that aren't canceled. Morning walks on running track. No isolation, no sir, no way.

@wordell1 Amen to that! We are doing our best to make the best of it! Our last Xmas cruise on DCL 2019 was when we first caught Covid, before they even knew what it was, long story short. No more Xmas cruises for this family! We have 11 other months to sail!! Lol!!

We were looking forward to this itinerary a lot but it was not meant to be. I have a large balcony with dining table and room service is really enjoyable out there. 

Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family. 

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

@ChrisK2793 I second this. Based in Florida and living our lives. My daughter has attended high school in person and (gasp) no masks. Totally a choice for families, while we are not arrogant about the situation and do our best to respect others while going about living. We are on this ship right now (Odyssey) and our days are pretty packed. We wait in long lines but participated in the bumper cars multiple sessions, I fly, the jumpy thing and the shows that aren't canceled. Morning walks on running track. No isolation, no sir, no way.

I third this…. If that’s a thing. 😜 I know our state makes big headlines but our family went maskless everywhere as soon as it was allowed and no issues. I cancelled our Harmony NYE cruise today because even though I wasnt thrilled about the masking, I cannot justify spending over $10k for missed ports and lack of onboard entertainment. Did not pitch a fit over the no refund policy this close to sailing and simplify rolled it to the odyssey next NYE. Nothing Royal or anyone of us can do about the current situation, it’s just bad timing for the industry.  My daughter is crushed but at least our Alaska cruise in August went off without a hitch.  Going to go celebrate NYE at a little jazz club in Melbourne maskless and happy this year. Here’s hoping for the spring break cruise in March to be better. I hope everyone enjoys their holiday week, no matter what their decisions!! 

9 hours ago, Cruiser4Life said:

I third this…. If that’s a thing. 😜 I know our state makes big headlines but our family went maskless everywhere as soon as it was allowed and no issues. I cancelled our Harmony NYE cruise today because even though I wasnt thrilled about the masking, I cannot justify spending over $10k for missed ports and lack of onboard entertainment. Did not pitch a fit over the no refund policy this close to sailing and simplify rolled it to the odyssey next NYE. Nothing Royal or anyone of us can do about the current situation, it’s just bad timing for the industry.  My daughter is crushed but at least our Alaska cruise in August went off without a hitch.  Going to go celebrate NYE at a little jazz club in Melbourne maskless and happy this year. Here’s hoping for the spring break cruise in March to be better. I hope everyone enjoys their holiday week, no matter what their decisions!! 

One last note for anyone cruising next week…. I had asked the concierge if tables would be available for sale in the promenade and various other venues throughout the ship for NYE as in previous years and the response was that the bar dept was still waiting to hear from stateside whether that would be available. Also, that most if not all events would be taking place outside on the decks that evening. So no parties indoors may make for a very crowded scene outside. Again, not trying to be a downer but just passing along info. 

Friday morning update, pool decks still packed, even the chairs in the pools solarium included have clothes and towels reserving them, I get it it is gorgeous outside getting your vitamin D. I am back on my huge balcony as I wasn't enjoying the pool deck that way, not my personal choice.

So they added a show, Tap Factory so we reserved it at 1530 which is cool because so many shows have been canceled. 

I ordered the Evian water and was given cans of royal spring water and 15.00 obc credit.  It doesn't taste "canny" I was pleasantly surprised. 

The tree is beautiful; dining at Chops tonight as it is Mr. Cabash birthday today. 

This morning upon returning to room we were gifted 2 pretty royal water bottles as well as notification of carols & mass. They have mentioned our friends in the Jewish faith holiday and there is a beautiful large menorah. 

20211224_133630.jpg

20211224_133646.jpg

20211224_133702.jpg

On 12/23/2021 at 6:32 AM, JSB_Z51 said:

Where does he goto the bathroom? Hopefully hot on the fake grass on the mini golf course!!

When I was recently on Liberty of the Seas there was an area on deck four aft starboard side that was setup for a dog to use. Little bit of fake grass and a cover for it nearby. 

@NeesaDid they give you the extra OBC because they didn't have Evian/Desani water and had to substitute their own? Also, as far as the water bottle was one per person in the cabin or just 2 in total?

I am glad you are making the most of this situation. It is good you will at least be able to see a show, since the chair hogs are stopping you from seeing the best reality one😉

@Ampurp85 yes the OBC was because they sold me Evian but gave me something else, nice gesture. There are 3 of us in the cabin and they gave 2 bottles, so I believe it may be 2 per cabin.. 

I'm not a "crowds" person anyway, I am enjoying my huge balcony in this 2 bedroom grand suite.