Help! Need input on dinning ......

JennPenn24

Hi Fellow Cruisers....

This may be a weird one..... I have had a few surgeries where I am not able to eat more than a 1 to 1 1/2 cups of food at a time. What a waste on a cruise right? I want to do specialty dinning, but contemplating whether I need a package or not. I can't do appetizer, main, and dessert in one sitting.... so for my experienced cruisers, what would you suggest? 

You could take your dessert to go and eat it back in your room later!  They're happy to pack it up for you.

You may just want to try a 3-night dining package, then you can pick the restaurants you truly want to try without feeling obligated to go to one every single night.  It really can be a lot of food.

If you are on one of the bigger ships, I actually would recommend the dining package. You absolutely do not have to partake in a multiple course meal every time. I had surgery over 10 years ago and I still can't eat a full three course meal in a sitting but I love the dining package because I can just go for an appetizer or an entrée early in the evening and then go somewhere else later for some more. You can order several apps and make a meal out of that. You can also ask them to bring your food out at the same time. The servers will be concerned if you don't eat much and assume you didn't like something, so just reassure them that you did and that you just can't eat a lot. Don't feel bad about ordering something only to be able to take a few bites.

There's no discount if you eat less with specialty dining. Most of the restaurants are a single price cover charge no matter what you order. There are some ala carte options, depending on the ship, where you can only pay for what you're going to eat.

5 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If you are on one of the bigger ships, I actually would recommend the dining package. You absolutely do not have to partake in a multiple course meal every time. I had surgery over 10 years ago and I still can't eat a full three course meal in a sitting but I love the dining package because I can just go for an appetizer or an entrée early in the evening and then go somewhere else later for some more. You can order several apps and make a meal out of that. You can also ask them to bring your food out at the same time. The servers will be concerned if you don't eat much and assume you didn't like something, so just reassure them that you did and that you just can't eat a lot. Don't feel bad about ordering something only to be able to take a few bites.

There's no discount if you eat less with specialty dining. Most of the restaurants are a single price cover charge no matter what you order. There are some ala carte options, depending on the ship, where you can only pay for what you're going to eat.

Thank you Ashley, you touched on what I was wondering about, whether I should just pay for ala carte or the dinning package. I don't like having a bill at the end and would prefer to have everything paid upfront..