International Travelers who test positive post cruise and can't board flight back home

Amanda92

The point is that the Canadian government requires a PCR to enter (in addition to the one we are supposedly going to take on arrival) to avoid quarantine, but we can enter the U.S. and get on board a ship with an antigen. Big difference in price. Royal can't keep footing the bill forever.

Question for any international traveler - If you fly to a resort somewhere, like Cancun or Canaries or (insert destination), is it common for the resort to provide a PCR test so you can fly home?  Genuinely curious as I don't know. 

I assume that most land or fly vacations are providing re-entry tests so that is why everyone seems to expect cruise lines to offer it but I'd like to understand the basis for this expectation.   Simply curious.

1 hour ago, Dal said:

It says this will be effective on January 5th sailings. We embark on January 3rd and disembark on the 7th. Will we still able to get the complimentary PCR for re-entry in Canada if we book it before January 5th?? 

You're good to go I believe.  The change comes for cruises that begin after Jan 05.  

8 hours ago, Eggbert said:

The point is that the Canadian government requires a PCR to enter (in addition to the one we are supposedly going to take on arrival) to avoid quarantine, but we can enter the U.S. and get on board a ship with an antigen. Big difference in price. Royal can't keep footing the bill forever.

The cost is an issue!

When i returned to the UK from Gibraltar i had to have PCR tests, cost for home test which was sent overnight to a lab and result within 24hrs was £40. 

These companies charging 100s of £ or $ should hang their heads in shame

39 minutes ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

As a point of clarification while I know everyone talks about the PCR test being required for entry to Canada in particular, I believe that the NAAT is also permissible.

image.png.a3105b05043c0cf4e923d0a4cb65f478.png

I am not sure the cost differences but it may be helpful to know all options.

NAAT is accepted.  CBSA accepts NAAT.  I've used the free Walgreens Rapid ID NOW test (NAAT) to enter Canada twice as recent as a few days ago.  

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Question for any international traveler - If you fly to a resort somewhere, like Cancun or Canaries or (insert destination), is it common for the resort to provide a PCR test so you can fly home?  Genuinely curious as I don't know. 

I assume that most land or fly vacations are providing re-entry tests so that is why everyone seems to expect cruise lines to offer it but I'd like to understand the basis for this expectation.   Simply curious.

I haven't looked at other all inclusive places, but Sandals is.  https://www.sandals.com/covid-travel-advisories/

16 hours ago, Eggbert said:

If you are selected for Arrival testing in Canada,  It's free..

5 minutes ago, sleepy425 said:

I haven't looked at other all inclusive places, but Sandals is.  https://www.sandals.com/covid-travel-advisories/

Thanks.  This sort of feedback is exactly what I'm looking for.  

Keep it coming.  Cancun is a popular destination for Canadians.  As is the DR and Cuba.  If many of these destinations are providing PCR testing for return home I can begin to understand the expectation that Royal should as well.  

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Keep it coming.  Cancun is a popular destination for Canadians.  As is the DR and Cuba.  If many of these destinations are providing PCR testing for return home I can begin to understand the expectation that Royal should as well.  

From just doing a quick search it seems a lot are offering the antigen testing for free for their US customers, but not all of them include PCR for free.  For Playa Resorts it seems to be based on location; their Dominican Republic locations include the PCR if the length of stay qualifies while their Mexico and Jamaica locations offer discounted PCR testing.

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Question for any international traveler - If you fly to a resort somewhere, like Cancun or Canaries or (insert destination), is it common for the resort to provide a PCR test so you can fly home?

My son took a trip to Mexico and the resort where they were staying supplied and administered the test for them right at the resort. They knew it was required and wanted to make it easy for their customers that fly in.

1 hour ago, Rene Desmarais said:

If you are selected for Arrival testing in Canada,  It's free..

I know that, but you are still paying for the one to get on a plane heading to Canada. That is a Canadian requirement. Then you pay with your time, the hassle, the quarantining while you wait for your result, and also the ridiculousness of another test. Additionally, we have been assured that it will soon be 100% testing, not simply "random" testing.

Apparently Expedia Cruises franchise owners across Canada (not sure if other travel agencies are involved as well) and their BDM’s have petitioned Royal to reconsider this policy to prevent mass cancellations from their clients. Their ask is that at minimum, anyone who was already booked prior to this change would be grandfathered in.

I am not optimistic but Royal has reversed unpopular changes in the past.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

We are headed to Riviera Maya (via Cancun Airport) in early February. We are staying at UNICO resort and they provide testing at no charge for flight back to USA.