Puerto Costa Maya

WackyCactus

3 hours ago, WackyCactus said:

Hello,

I'm thinking of doing the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins & Bacalar Lagoon Beach excursion.  I was wondering if anyone has been on this recently?  If so, do you get to climb up the pyramid?  Also, how's the beach?  Are there any lounge chairs?  Is it good for snorkeling?

Thanks so much for your information!

We liked Chacchoben when we visited there about 10 years ago.  In Sept 2019, we tried a raft trip into Lake Bacalar, and it was too tame for us (even at 65+, we want some activity.)  Swimming in the lake and lunch were the highlights of that excursion; we wouldn't do it again, but some might say the raft trip through the mangroves was "relaxing".  Recommend bug spray for that venue, if you go.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:52 PM, WackyCactus said:

Hello,

I'm thinking of doing the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins & Bacalar Lagoon Beach excursion.  I was wondering if anyone has been on this recently?  If so, do you get to climb up the pyramid?  Also, how's the beach?  Are there any lounge chairs?  Is it good for snorkeling?

We did the Mayan Ruins part and we loved it.  Unfortunately our sail time leaving Galveston was changed to a later time and they had to cancel this excursion so we just did the Mayan ruins part. Highly recommend it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 4:52 PM, WackyCactus said:

Hello,

My family did this and it was wonderful! I went in 2019 so I will tell you what I remember. You can climb some of the ruins, there are many ruins to look at and you are a bit "in the jungle", we saw many monkeys in the trees when we were there. The ride to the ruins was in an airconditioned bus and we got to see a good bit of Costa Maya. The Lagoon Beach was AMAZING! The water was calm, peaceful and just perfect! I am not a snorkeler, so I don't know how the snorkeling is. But, this is a lagoon and not the ocean so it seems like this may not be ideal for snorkeling is that is really your thing. We did have lounge chairs and lunch was provided at the lagoon, but I do not remember what was served. We just fell in love with Costa May through this tour. I think it was a great combination or island tour, ruins, and beach. We have booked the lagoon only version of this tour for our next stop in Costa Maya! We have been on many excursions before and this one is our #2 favorite of all time (#1 is in Costa Rica).

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2022 at 4:35 PM, Jakejosa said:

My family did this and it was wonderful! I went in 2019 so I will tell you what I remember. You can climb some of the ruins, there are many ruins to look at and you are a bit "in the jungle", we saw many monkeys in the trees when we were there. The ride to the ruins was in an airconditioned bus and we got to see a good bit of Costa Maya. The Lagoon Beach was AMAZING! The water was calm, peaceful and just perfect! I am not a snorkeler, so I don't know how the snorkeling is. But, this is a lagoon and not the ocean so it seems like this may not be ideal for snorkeling is that is really your thing. We did have lounge chairs and lunch was provided at the lagoon, but I do not remember what was served. We just fell in love with Costa May through this tour. I think it was a great combination or island tour, ruins, and beach. We have booked the lagoon only version of this tour for our next stop in Costa Maya! We have been on many excursions before and this one is our #2 favorite of all time (#1 is in Costa Rica).

do you recall if there was a place to put your stuff while touring the ruins? we are doing this in august and will obviously want different things for the ruins vs the beach but don't really want to carry a big bag around too much

16 hours ago, Dave26 said:

do you recall if there was a place to put your stuff while touring the ruins? we are doing this in august and will obviously want different things for the ruins vs the beach but don't really want to carry a big bag around too much

In December our bus driver said it was ok to leave stuff on bus, but I would take valuables  in a fanny pack. Leave towel bag . I don't  remember lockers. I carried a back pack with water and bug spray.

Just an FYI, if you can't get the ship excursion look at Native Choice tours. They do that same tour... Chacchoben & Lagoon excursion for half the price. I've done it twice with them over the years, very good tour.  NC regular Chacchoben tour is $40/person cheaper than the ships.

Just realized this is an old thread so never mind.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:28 PM, Dave26 said:

Yes, we were able to leave our things on the bus.