Test Positive during your trip??

Walt Golas

So I read that RC will pay for your care, transportation and such.

Has anyone tested positive on a cruise, what did they do for you, what did they put you up, where did you get put on the ship?

I have a group of 24 going in June, so afraid someone is going to test pos. Then not sure what's going to happen to them and roommate and the group.

Any thoughts or actual experience?

Thanks

It's a natural worry, but the odds are so low it's not worth the fretting. As of the end of October, only 0.2% of cruise passengers tested positive. And a solid chunk of those were cruises out of the Bahamas that required post-cruise testing. No American-based homeport requires post-cruise testing.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/07/royal-caribbean-flying-passengers-home-private-jet-if-they-have-covid-19

if you test positive, they will remove you from your room and isolate you, and attempt to get you a private plane home from the next port.

There was a couple on Odyssey who experienced this. They couldn't get them immediate flights home so they were isolated on the ship on deck 3 until they could get them off. All expenses were paid. They had room service, watched free movies and were pretty well taken care of medically during that time. And i believe they were reimbursed for the days they were in isolation. 

if you're in a group, they may want to test you all as part of contact tracing. 

Some staterooms have been set aside as designated quarantine rooms so they'll send you there.

Usually, they'll disembark you at a port and fly you home if there is still a large portion of the cruise left. If you test positive near the end, they'll probably quarantine you until you return to the original port, then send you to a hotel.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:42 PM, smokeybandit said:

It's a natural worry, but the odds are so low it's not worth the fretting. As of the end of October, only 0.2% of cruise passengers tested positive. And a solid chunk of those were cruises out of the Bahamas that required post-cruise testing. No American-based homeport requires post-cruise testing.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/07/royal-caribbean-flying-passengers-home-private-jet-if-they-have-covid-19

Below is the updated policy for sailings on or before 4/30/22

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

The article says contact tracing for 1 person (that seems really high). They don't say how many were tested.

"Everyone who tested positive is asymptomatic"

Before Royal ships come back online, they are outfitted with a facial recognition system. Therefore it’s super easy to accurately contact trace once a positive passenger is found. 44 sounds like a very low number to me considering the close confines of a cruise ship. I bet a typical passenger comes in close contact to several hundred other passengers and crew during any given day of a voyage.

Also, the reason your uploaded photo from check-in is found to be no good at embarkation and needs to be retaken? Redundancy. Redundancy for the facial recognition system.

52 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Before Royal ships come back online, they are outfitted with a facial recognition system. Therefore it’s super easy to accurately contact trace once a positive passenger is found. 44 sounds like a very low number to me considering the close confines of a cruise ship. I bet a typical passenger comes in close contact to several hundred other passengers and crew during any given day of a voyage.

Also, the reason your uploaded photo from check-in is found to be no good at embarkation and needs to be retaken? Redundancy. Redundancy for the facial recognition system.

Good point re: check in photo. I agree, 44 seems way too low. I am willing to bet there’s many more cases that get ignored just simply due to RC saving face. Of course this story makes the front page of our local news!

7F338FF7-2B5E-4874-A52F-354931C3926E.jpeg

1900 people in my town have tested positive over the past few weeks. I live in a town of 12,000.  That’s a significantly higher percent of the population than on any cruise ship since the restart. Meanwhile, where’s the article about my town?  These announcements need to be taken with a grain of salt.  

Also, with omicron’s transmissibility I think what we will be seeing is everyone is going to get COVID eventually. It’s just a question of, is it so slight that you don’t even notice?  Or is it so bad that you have to go to a hospital (or worse!). And everything in between.  

49 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

1900 people in my town have tested positive over the past few weeks. I live in a town of 12,000.  That’s a significantly higher percent of the population than on any cruise ship since the restart. Meanwhile, where’s the article about my town?  These announcements need to be taken with a grain of salt.  

Also, with omicron’s transmissibility I think what we will be seeing is everyone is going to get COVID eventually. It’s just a question of, is it so slight that you don’t even notice?  Or is it so bad that you have to go to a hospital (or worse!). And everything in between.  

I was thinking along these lines today. 6500 in my town.... a light load on an Oasis class. 1000 have had it. 200 positive tests this week. Thats one in 5 who have dealt with it. On ships its one in 500 testing hot recently. I'll take the ship... Omicron from all that I have read and heard from people in the field is very contagious but really one of the weakest strains to date. CDC closely monitoring confirmed cases has only one of 43 requiring a hospital. The ones yesterday on SOTS are all asymptomatic. Even in South Africa where Omicron evolved from, hospitalizations are DOWN 29% from where they were with far smaller "numbers" of other variants including Delta... So who knows for sure? It seems though Omicron is a far gentler strain than others... 

"The CDC on Friday said one vaccinated person has been hospitalized with omicron, but no deaths have been reported among the 43 patients that have been followed up on. The most common symptoms so far are cough, fatigue, congestion and a runny nose.
Among those patients, 58% were between the ages of 18 and 39 years of age and 79% were fully vaccinated at least 14 days before symptom onset or testing positive".