Odyssey of the Seas - What you like and don't like?

ChuckyBost

12 minutes ago, APM said:

I think the bionic bar in all the ships is a waste. Go once , maybe twice for the novelty. That’s the business model? But every tavern with a skilled and entertaining bartender/barmaid lacks them in every night. Missed the mark here Royal. And on odyssey, it’s prime real estate.

On a typical cruise more than 50% are new to Royal.

It's not there for frequent cruisers.  

It attracts new cruisers to Royal.  

We haven't been on Odyssey yet, but on Ovation (similar layout) we got a bit of use out of the Bionic Bar.  Often we couldn't get anywhere near the bartenders to get a drink at the Schooner Bar or English Pub because they were so crowded, and the Bionic Bar was pretty much the only other place to get a drink in the immediate area.  We got to know the two Bionic Bar attendants and tipped them at the end of the cruise.  It wasn't like on an Oasis Class ship where the Promenade has Schooners, Bolero's, the Pub, the On Air Club and the Champagne Bar all within two decks.

I agree with you. Although I wasn't on the odyssey, I was on the Anthem, and for some reason even though I was on Anthem at reduced capacity vs when I was on Allure at full capacity, I don't know why I felt like Anthem's esplanade felt congested. I don't know if its the angle at the pub that cuts into your sight lines. 

On 12/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, Austin said:

The shows were the best I’ve seen on Royal. The ship seemed a bit crowded in some of the common areas like the solarium and Esplanade. I think I favor the traditional promenade style.

2 hours ago, leesam82 said:

I agree with you. Although I wasn't on the odyssey, I was on the Anthem, and for some reason even though I was on Anthem at reduced capacity vs when I was on Allure at full capacity, I don't know why I felt like Anthem's esplanade felt congested. I don't know if its the angle at the pub that cuts into your sight lines. 

You know, I noticed this too on Anthem. The Esplanade isn’t very large, it’s only a few shops in length from the pub to the steps near Boleros, plus it has a kiosk/retail island in the middle. The pub/music hall really does break up what could be an epic shopping space.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the pub and the music hall, it’s just an…interest architectural choice. 

This was my first time on a quantum/ultra class ship; and I will be honest, I do not like the class (based upon Odyssey). I hated the lack of seating along the esplanade, the minimal outward facing windows, the views in the specialty restaurants. I just felt a lack of comfort on Odyssey that I haven't ever experienced on other ships. She felt tiny and cramped in ways I hadn't experienced before. 

I love the indoor Solarium, I love that it was very easy to take a shower with the bathroom door open and watch the sea go by. 270 is beautiful but I was not impressed with the way they had the lounge configured. 

I will also say that there was a stark difference between my sailing in November to December, in November we had around 600 less passengers and I could easily have a relaxing morning and make my way to the Solarium and grab a chair. In December most if not every chair was claimed around 8 AM and I ended up spending way more time on my balcony the second sailing.

All those things being said, she was still better than being at work and while I didn't love the ship I did enjoy my sailings both times.