From Phillipsburg Cobblestones to the Oasis Medical Center: One Right (Writing) Wrist's Journey

IRMO12HD

Told you I'd combine “Oasis Medical Center” and “cobblestones” and “right wrist”) in one title (as mentioned in my "Simply Solo Freedom" blog).  And now, the rest of the story.

Caveat #1: i'm typing this with my left hand only.  it's time to channel e.e. cummings as it's a pain to use the SHIFT key

Caveat #2: im tired of apostrophes too.

im somewhat famous in my family for getting injured doing ordinary things. broke my tibia water skiing, collarbone while rounding 3rd base, fibula hiking down a trail -- and now add radius (wrist) walking  cobblestone sidewalk/street in Phillipsburg, Sint Maarten.

The bright sides--the bottle of vanilla in the bag on my left shoulder DIDNT break; my daughter and i had already purchased pretty much everything we wanted and had finished our amazing horseback trail ride/ocean swim; it wasnt raining (yet) and we had over two hours to make it back to the ship and tickets for the water taxi.

to make a short story shorter, in trying to avoid some guys on the sidewalk i stepped down into the street onto an uneven surface and fell. stretching out my free right hand was not a good idea as it turns out. OMIGOSH IT HURT -- that kind of pain that almost makes you throw up.  sorry, pretty graphic but true. big bump swelling up right away but i was hoping it was just a bad sprain.  people around were really helpful, offering assistance. since we were only about 2 blocks from the water taxi we decided to head back to the ship. note to self-- dont let the guy on the water taxi grab your injured hand to help you onto the boat and try to swing you around in a dance move.

once back aboard my daughter gave me some ibuprofen, i requested some ice from our steward and i steeled myself for dinner, cradling my swelling right wrist in my left hand.  Still holding out hope that it was a sprain, we begged an Ace bandage from the Medical Center and made it an early night.

the next morning, the swelling and pain belied my hopes of a sprain; we called the Medical Center for an appointment, and they said to come on down.

Next-- the medical center

on oasis the medical center is on the 2nd deck near the aft elevators. exciting moment as. we got to cross I-95 to get to it -- the utility corridor that runs the length of the ship. saw the big sign that said patients only, but when i saw the clipboard of forms i knew i had to summon my reinforcements -- aka my daughter -- as my right hand wouldnt comply

After my vital signs were measured we were placed in  a room with a sign that said "Operating Room."  after about 5 minutes a kindly tall man entered and introduced himself - Dr Ralph.  He gently unwrapped my wrist, looked at it and expressed his opinion that it was fractured and that he would need to take some xrays.  the xray machine was wheeled around and he himself took the first set. honestly the xray machine looked pretty old but it did its job. he then formed and fitted a fiberglass splint on my forearm.  i had some pain in my forearm near my elbow so he took off the splint and summoned an xray tech to take more images. once he was satisfied that the other bones were fine, he applied another splint. he then took us to see the xray images; we took some pictures of them, he offered to make a CD with the images which i (shouldnt have) turned down, and we left.  Total time spent there was about 2-1/2 hours. Total bill (hopefully covered by my travel insurance -- im pretty sure it will be -- was just $566 for the visit, x-rays, and splint application.

Next: after the Medical Center

Pulled the same move on the cobblestones in Baltimore.  Also managed to save the oils & vinegars I had just purchased and hoped that my dignity took the biggest hit.  Here I am almost 3 months later & im pretty sure I broke the tip of my middle finger (and boy do I need to be able to use that!!)  Still aches if I press on it too much but I’m too stubborn to go to the dr!