Actually Mat is understanding how amazing Maya Chan is!

MrMarc

Ok, sure I'm still buzzed from the amazing drinks from Maya Chan today.  But I am blown away by the place.  If you want fancy, elegant, pretentious or even picturesque then Maya Chan might not be for you.  If you want private, fun, great food, great drinks, a place that will really make you feel like you are part of the family except the will wait on you hand and foot and you don't have to do the dishes, you need to try this place.  If you can't tell, they blew me away with the vibe and service.  Costa Maya has never been an interesting port to me, now it is one of my favorites.  I have been to much more upscale places with great service.  But from the moment you find their spot at the port (which is admittedly not easy) they make you feel special, important and welcome.  Basically, if your ship ever stops at Costa Maya, go to Maya Chan.

Thanks to Matt and this blog we fell in love with Maya Chan too. Our upcoming cruise on Brilliance was booked because we wanted to return to Maya Chan! I am counting the days until we are relaxing at our palapa, enjoying good drinks and the most delicious tacos ever.  If you haven’t read it, Jane’s book on how Maya Chan came to be is a fun read. I think the title is It Helps to be Crazy: The Story of Maya Chan Beach by Jane Ostrow. 

Also booked Maya Chan on our cruise in early November from Matt's review. Also helped that our oldest son and wife went to our usual beach stop the month before and was inundated with vendors which made their trip less enjoyable. We arrived and easily found the pick-up spot (it is a walk but not too bad) and were sent to the resort. The staff was amazing and the palapa we had that included cushioned recliners, a hammock, sunning bed and table. The food was great and the drinks were unending. We have another trip there in January and have already booked Maya Chan again. It was a treat to us that they gave us the "returning guest rate" which in my opinion, make this the best value in Costa Maya.

PS: the masseuses there are unbelievable.

The nice thing about the port is you veer off to the right when approaching the entrance where the tours are gathering and you do not have to go through the shopping area. That was also an issue before as they say on the map to travel through the shopping maze but if you stay right you go by the tour buses and can make a bee line to the exit gate. Goes much quicker that way. Just act like you know where you are going and no one stops you or tell them you are going to the golf carts and they let you though.

2 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

The nice thing about the port is you veer off to the right when approaching the entrance where the tours are gathering and you do not have to go through the shopping area. That was also an issue before as they say on the map to travel through the shopping maze but if you stay right you go by the tour buses and can make a bee line to the exit gate. Goes much quicker that way. Just act like you know where you are going and no one stops you or tell them you are going to the golf carts and they let you though.

We were yelled at when we tried to do that in October.

12 hours ago, TickledBlue said:

Watched a youtube video on this and the place looked great except for the murky water.   The video was a couple of months old.  Is the water always like that?

These days, yes. Maya Chan wont win any awards for prettiest water/beach, but it makes up for it in their service and atmosphere. Plus, they have a pool.

18 hours ago, TickledBlue said:

Watched a youtube video on this and the place looked great except for the murky water.   The video was a couple of months old.  Is the water always like that?

They are having a lot of onshore winds where they are, so the water clarity is suffering.  The reef is about 500 yards offshore.  They offered to set me up in a Kayak with an anchor if I wanted to go out there though.