It's not about masks, it's about the ship and crew

MrMarc

I am sure Matt will delete this if it turns into an argument about masks, and that is not what this is about.  I am currently on Adventure and the crew I have spoken with are very frustrated.   If you choose not to wear a mask, all you can do is hurt the crew.  And I am not talking about giving anyone COVID.  If you compliment the crew for not enforcing the rules, that is not a good thing in RCCL's eyes.  If, as they are, other people complain that the crew is not enforcing the mask rules, that hurts them too.  Their job is to enforce it, no matter what you or they think.  Many that I have spoken with, especially officers, are very frustrated.   They can't win.  They see you when you put on the mask, walk ten steps and take it off, thinking you ate so smart and they ate so stupid.  They are not.  They are frustrated and simply trying to do and keep their jobs.  Please, it's not polotical or even science, it's their jobs.

17 minutes ago, KyleW22 said:

I am curious about Adventure staff.

I read on another post that another ship is requesting masks be worn between sips of your drink or bites of your food. Is that true on your sailing as well? 

No they are not.  I  talked to a manager in customer service who told me this group of passengers ate particularly non compliant, so I think they would be happy just to get people to wear masks on the Prominade.

I sailed Oasis two weeks ago. I would estimate 20% perfect mask compliance, 40% when convenient, 30% in crowded areas only and 10% minimal mask. 
At the end of the sailing, of all the tests required to be done, zero were positive.

I understand this is a sample size of one, but thought I would share that less than perfect mask compliance does not automatically result in positive tests. 

It was refreshing at times to walk down an empty hallway without a mask on. In crowded areas I always had my mask on. 

24 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

No they are not.  I  talked to a manager in customer service who told me this group of passengers ate particularly non compliant, so I think they would be happy just to get people to wear masks on the Prominade.

Okay good, because I for one will not be raising my mask between sips and bites. All other times, whatever - it is what it is. Thanks for the confirmation! Enjoy the rest of your sailing.

28 minutes ago, KyleW22 said:

Okay good, because I for one will not be raising my mask between sips and bites. All other times, whatever - it is what it is. Thanks for the confirmation! Enjoy the rest of your sailing.

I am, regardless of how others act.  I  have honestly always approached this subject based on my opnion.  This crew has taught me neither my or anyone else's opnion are the real issue on the ship.  It's not even about other passange4s feeling comfortable,  it's about their jobs.

10 hours ago, AlmondFarmer said:

I sailed Oasis two weeks ago. I would estimate 20% perfect mask compliance, 40% when convenient, 30% in crowded areas only and 10% minimal mask. 
At the end of the sailing, of all the tests required to be done, zero were positive.

I understand this is a sample size of one, but thought I would share that less than perfect mask compliance does not automatically result in positive tests. 

It was refreshing at times to walk down an empty hallway without a mask on. In crowded areas I always had my mask on. 

Thanks for sharing the stats. The risk now is Omicron, because it is highly contagious and seems to be breaking through the vaccinated.  Hence the new masking requirements.

16 hours ago, AlmondFarmer said:

You are totally ignoring my point.  It doesn't. matter if anyone thinks or even can prove that masks are or or not helpful.  The crew's job is still the same and until it changes, you have to wear masks.  When you step on the ship you have agreeded to wear them.  What I am saying is what a number of crew, an officer, and a customer service manager has told me.  They have to enforce thesevrules and feel frustrated with and disrespected by the number of people who won't follow a simple and clear rule.   The crew isv rom all over the world, and many are laughing at how ridiculous Americans are being.  One said something like you have so many freedoms, but you choose to waste it this way?  Some are worried about their own health, and sad that so many of the passangers don't care at all.

Masking rules are ignored by some everywhere on land. I’m not just talking about the US either.  

I’m not surprised it is the same at sea.  The crew is experiencing what grocery store clerks, retail workers, etc have experienced since just about the beginning of Covid.  It is frustrating for them all, but this is not unique aboard ships.  

I will be glad when we transition out of this pandemic. But I’m sure that those who have to ‘police’ mask wearing will be much more thankful than I ever could be. 🙂

On 12/17/2021 at 9:45 PM, AlmondFarmer said:

By the way, you do realize that the rules you agreed to say you will wear a mask indoors at all times, not just when you think you should.  Assuming the masks work, I assume you are exhaling at times, thus possibly contaminating the air.  Assuming they do not work, you are intentionally ignoring the rules.  That is the disrespect that the crew were talking about.  Do you think that the passengers or crew you encounter don't see what you are doing?  You are pretending to follow the rules, when you intentionally are not.   My point is, your comfort level, politics, scientific conclusions, or anything else do not matter to this conversation.  Either follow the rules or don't cruise.  Pretending to follow them when it is convenient for you is exactly the same as not following them at all.

This post is like watching a documentary with a strong biased agenda. Are crew members’s validating these points? Yes. Is this an accurate representation of the entire crew? Absolutely not. I also noticed several crew members that were either indifferent or didn’t bother to properly wear a mask themselves. Realistically, crew opinions on masks, enforcement, etc are more varied like anywhere else in the world.

I don’t see the value in this discussion and continual brow beating, it’s probably good to just lock at this point.

48 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

This post is like watching a documentary with a strong biased agenda. Are crew members’s validating these points? Yes. Is this an accurate representation of the entire crew? Absolutely not. I also noticed several crew members that were either indifferent or didn’t bother to properly wear a mask themselves. Realistically, crew opinions on masks, enforcement, etc are more varied like anywhere else in the world.

I don’t see the value in this discussion and continual brow beating, it’s probably good to just lock at this point.

Your opnion on his is clear, as is mine.  However in this case I am honestly relaying what I was told.  No, I did not talk to all crew.  The ones that seemed to really not care seemed to be the people in the stores on the Promade.  The 10 or so crew I spoke with basically said the same thing.  And if you think about it without our obvious bias, it makes sense.  If I could have talked to more crew about it, I would have.  Most of these conversations were started when someone went by without a mask,   I have no control over what is or is not deleted.  But I posted this with no agenda other than to repeat what I was told.  I would have done the same thing if they told me they thought the mask rules were stupid.  You do not know me, but anyone that does would confirm that I absolutely would, whether I agreed with it or not.  You and I have gone round and round enough, neither of us is going to convince the other, and I have no intention of trying anymore\.  I cannot let myself get into that kind of discussion right now, as I just found out my Daughter has COVID.  Right now I am far too angry to discuss who is right or wrong, I would be kicked out of most any group, so I will not do it.  So if your criteria to believe this is a survey of 100% of the crew, I cannot meet that.  If that means this has to be deleted, then so be it.  But what I am saying is an accurate presentation of my experiences last week.

I think this post is pretty much any job in retail or hospitality right now.  Most of these people are just trying to make a living and they got stuck in the middle of an ugly political battle.  They don't like it because they don't want to enforce the rules that they may or may not get yelled at for enforcing, but since they don't know the patron they probably assume the patron is going to not like what they are telling them.  I am so glad none of my kids are old enough to work and that I am well past retail/hospitality jobs.  I feel awful for most people that have to do customer face to face interactions.

42 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

I think this post is pretty much any job in retail or hospitality right now.  Most of these people are just trying to make a living and they got stuck in the middle of an ugly political battle.  They don't like it because they don't want to enforce the rules that they may or may not get yelled at for enforcing, but since they don't know the patron they probably assume the patron is going to not like what they are telling them.  I am so glad none of my kids are old enough to work and that I am well past retail/hospitality jobs.  I feel awful for most people that have to do customer face to face interactions.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post. I take issue with the "I am well past retail/hospitality jobs" in your post. It implies an elitist aspect to working. I am sure that there are crew members with multiple degrees, who happen to love the industry. Also, some people who work retail/ hospitality have chosen to do so as a career. It sucks in every way having to tell grown people rules that, have not only been clearly posted, but agreed upon before service even started. 

20 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

While I agree with the sentiment of your post. I take issue with the "I am well past retail/hospitality jobs" in your post. It implies an elitist aspect to working. I am sure that there are crew members with multiple degrees, who happen to love the industry. Also, some people who work retail/ hospitality have chosen to do so as a career. It sucks in every way having to tell grown people rules that, have not only been clearly posted, but agreed upon before service even started. 

You are correct, I could have stated it differently.  I did retail jobs early in life, but wasn't a fan so moved to something else.  That would be a better wording. 

2 hours ago, IzzyB said:

You are correct, I could have stated it differently.  I did retail jobs early in life, but wasn't a fan so moved to something else.  That would be a better wording. 

Yeah, I did retail when there was a circuit city, showing my age, and I worked one black Friday and never went back. It wasn't for me. I applaud people who can do things like that. So, I get OP trying to get people to see the Crew's side. My mother has worked for a grocery chain for over 40 years. She has come home crying from people just being the worst about her enforcing the mask policy. 

Based on my small, unscientific sampling of 36 years in supermarkets….the last 23 in the same large regional chain, I can tell you all the retail workers I know are exhausted and fed up with people. 

Customers range from passive aggressive to just plain aggressive to blissfully unaware of their actions.

I can’t even imagine how current events and protocols are affecting crew members onboard ships.  From my observations, the customers onboard a cruise ship are 100% more demanding than the ones we deal with in a supermarket.  The entitlement attitude I see in some guests is through the roof  

I know how we feel with all the maskless people shopping around us while we are masked up.  I suspect it’s even more relentless for crew members….I can leave the area at the end of my shift and take my mask off.  They really don’t have that kind of option unless they’re in their own personal space.

Here’s an anecdote from our last cruise:

I pull my mask up when I interact with a crew member when we are in a “maskless” area.  In this instance, I was getting towels on the pool deck.  Another guest commented to me that we didn’t need masks out there.  I told him that I was doing it out of respect to the crew member who I was standing right in front of.  He thought I was being ridiculous.  When I was handed my towels, I got a very heartfelt “thank you” from the crew member.   

Here’s a thought to take with you today:  It costs nothing to be kind to another person even if you don’t agree with them  

8 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

OH NO !  Very sorry to hear it.  Will it adversely affect any holiday plans ?  I hope not.

Yes, my daughter is devastated.  She has worked over the years to get my ex-wife to be less bitter and to get my older child to speak with me again.  She has succeeded, and the 4 of us were going to have dinner together on December 26th.  I've tried to make her understand that she has already succeeded, because she has.  But she has chosen to focus on that dinner.  I even found and was going to rent a tele-presence robot for her, but she was angry about the cost.  I have promised to make it happen at some point if I have to fly everyone somewhere to make it happen.  But she says it wouldn't be the same.  So I am helpless to make things better in any way.  As a father it's a horrible feeling.  And, rightly or wrongly (I will not argue, because I don't think I am capabile of being even close to civil right now) I blame the ant-mask, anti-vaccine, covid deniers and their ilk.  I was drunk when I found out and came close to being kicked off or out of a few places.  So for now, I will not discuss it.  That's why you really have to believe how sincere I am when I say this thread is not about that.  This is basically what every crew member I spoke with said.  And now you know I share too much.

17 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

And, rightly or wrongly (I will not argue, because I don't think I am capabile of being even close to civil right now) I blame the ant-mask, anti-vaccine, covid deniers and their ilk.  I was drunk

Sorry that your family has Covid and wish for a speedy recovery. I don’t think it’s fair to blame anyone for it though. 2020 taught us that it didn’t matter if you were red state or blue state, if you were masked or not, had strict social distancing and lock down rules. Covid still made it’s way around en mass. We pointed the finger every time there was a spike in one region or another, but at the end of the day the numbers didn’t discriminate and everyone was equally in the same bad boat. 2021 lead to a vaccine and an excuse to divide and point fingers even more. It’s a virus and it will never stop spreading and mutating, no matter what we do. What we can do is be kind to our neighbors this holiday season and not force our opinions on everyone.

47 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Yes, my daughter is devastated.  She has worked over the years to get my ex-wife to be less bitter and to get my older child to speak with me again.  She has succeeded, and the 4 of us were going to have dinner together on December 26th.  I've tried to make her understand that she has already succeeded, because she has.  But she has chosen to focus on that dinner.  I even found and was going to rent a tele-presence robot for her, but she was angry about the cost.  I have promised to make it happen at some point if I have to fly everyone somewhere to make it happen.  But she says it wouldn't be the same.  So I am helpless to make things better in any way.  As a father it's a horrible feeling.  And, rightly or wrongly (I will not argue, because I don't think I am capabile of being even close to civil right now) I blame the ant-mask, anti-vaccine, covid deniers and their ilk.  I was drunk when I found out and came close to being kicked off or out of a few places.  So for now, I will not discuss it.  That's why you really have to believe how sincere I am when I say this thread is not about that.  This is basically what every crew member I spoke with said.  And now you know I share too much.

Really sorry to hear that your reunion plans are in jeopardy.  That must be devastating.  I'm truly sorry.

2 hours ago, MrMarc said:

I just found out my daughter, many of her friends and a few cousins in my family have COVID.  

Ok, several of my daughters friends have had COVID over this year and I wouldnt be surprised if both my kids have had COVID. What does that have to do with making you angry that crew members are being frustrated by lack of mask compliance? Dont they have their own channels to escalate issues?

25 minutes ago, infosec123 said:

Ok, several of my daughters friends have had COVID over this year and I wouldnt be surprised if both my kids have had COVID. What does that have to do with making you angry that crew members are being frustrated by lack of mask compliance? Dont they have their own channels to escalate issues?

GO re-read my post.  One thing has nothing to do with the other.  If I am angry about anything related to the crew, it's the disrespect and assumption that they are stupid.  But this is not about me being mad, it's about looking at this subject in ways other than it's effect on us.

@MrMarcI am sorry to hear about your holiday plans ruined and that your daughter and her friends are positive. I hope that they have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

I recently hired a server (12/15) who was training. Her third day she found out all her friends and sister tested positive. She left to get tested and tested negative, but she was the only one out of 20+ people. She had quit Panera after 5 years and they had a going away party. I am sure that has ruined a lot of people's holidays. My only opinion is to respect people and protocols, so we all can stay safe as possible.

16 hours ago, MrMarc said:

GO re-read my post.  One thing has nothing to do with the other.  If I am angry about anything related to the crew, it's the disrespect and assumption that they are stupid.  But this is not about me being mad, it's about looking at this subject in ways other than it's effect on us.

I did re-read your post and am still confused as to what you are angry about, that is why I am asking.

6 hours ago, infosec123 said:

I did re-read your post and am still confused as to what you are angry about, that is why I am asking.

I think at this point it would be better to take that discussion private instead of hashing it out here, if it's important to you.