Updated Omicron Mask Policy (Dec 17th - Jan 5)

Atricks

I am just hoping that we are able to cruise, because if not then we are again land locked (boring).  I just hope we all "pass" the pre coivd test, and this is one you can't study for, bummer.

Like others have said, you can spend your "vacation" dollars anyway you want to, for us it is cruising and the total of canceled (9 cruises now) hopefully is not going to happen again anytime soon.  

My next cruise is end of January, so not part of the new dates.  I am totally fine if they lengthen this to include mine.  Yes its disappointing, but is completely a reasonable, practical, and proper response.  We don't get to pretend this is over just because we are tired of it.  

The crew and the business deserve the extra layer of protection this policy provides.  I work for an airline, we have federal mask requirements for our passengers and have since near the beginning of the pandemic.  Our flight attendants and our business deserve that extra layer of protection that policy provides.  No different for Royal, so Ill happily keep it on.  That said, Ill be wearing my Celebrity mask I was given on that cruise, because it is very nice.

15 hours ago, jeffmw said:

Agreed. It's insane how entitled people are. RCI is doing what they feel they need to do to make sure the public views cruising as safe and to ensure long-term viability for the company and their shareholders. That's RCI's only agenda. They're not out to get you. There are plenty of places to spend your vacation budget. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. 

Its not entitled its just a complete lack of respect for anyone else except themselves!!! As long as they are ok screw everyone else!! 

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Just got an email that on the previous cruise they found one passenger (which had the symptoms but decided not to report on board) with the Omricon variant. On this cruise (Symphony , 0.7 tested positive for C19) 

I assume that’s 0.7%. But if there’s say 3500 people, that means roughly 25 people. 

18 hours ago, jeffmw said:

Not sure where you guys are in the country, but this is definitely not for show. I'm in Ohio and this Omicron stuff is very different than anything we've seen with COVID over the past couple years. From a health standpoint, it doesn't seem as severe (provided you're vaccinated), so that's encouraging, but it's definitely spreading waaayyyyyyyy easier than the previous variants and in that sense masks are actually more important than they were with previous variants that didn't spread as easily.

Everyone in my community suddenly has it, whereas before it was always just a few cases here and there around here. Before, there would be people who were exposed to someone who had it and most of the time they wouldn't get it unless they were really unlucky. Now it seems like anyone who has been with anyone with it has also gotten it. It's very different from what we're used to with COVID.

This variant spreads like wildfire. They could easily end up with a sailing with dozens of cases if they aren't careful, which would really hurt the industry right now. 

We have a cruise scheduled for Dec. 27. My son's best friend just got it. We are really hoping we are still able to get negative tests and sail. 

Thats because omicron is alot smarter.  It sneaks in through your ears.

38 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Theres probably people searching google right now trying to find out if this is correct and others who are already thinking there is no way they are wearing earmuffs on a cruise if RC implement such measures 

1 hour ago, cruisellama said:

PRE-SHOW ANNOUNCEMENT:  As part of the Healthy Return to Sailing Plan, everyone in the theater must wear ear coverings while waiting for the show.  You may remove them when you see the performers singing on stage.  Please put your ear coverings back on in between songs.

3 hours ago, DunwoodyDad said:

I assume that’s 0.7%. But if there’s say 3500 people, that means roughly 25 people. 

I’m reading 50 cases on this last Symphony sailing that ended this morning. This from a passenger who was symptomatic, went to medical, no fever so they didn’t test her. Didn’t quarantine her either. Now her daughter is symptomatic. They told her that to test her, she’d have to pay $160. 

If in fact there are 50 cases, that’s not good news and clearly the reason behind increased masking. 

I’d like to know how many of the cases flew to the port. 

Today’s embarkation has been moved back 2 1/2 hours. 

So far this is the only report I’m finding from mr sue happy cruise law news 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/12/articles/disease/covid-19-cases-increase-on-cruise-ships-as-lines-suppress-information/

5 hours ago, Ray said:

Theres probably people searching google right now trying to find out if this is correct and others who are already thinking there is no way they are wearing earmuffs on a cruise if RC implement such measures 

Sadly, this is true.  There are now people creating anti-ear muff groups.  At least one group has left the word ear out and understand why they are attracting the kind of members they are.

9 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Sadly, this is true.  There are now people creating anti-ear muff groups.  At least one group has left the word ear out and understand why they are attracting the kind of members they are.

Yeah i heard that also! They are based in South America as i read somewhere that the group were mostly Brazilian.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:36 PM, jeffmw said:

I get it, Matt. But it's very disrespectful that I type a sincere response to a post and for multiple people to laugh at it due to idiotic political rhetoric. That's antagonistic. If you're trying to maintain the standards of this forum, you should start there. 

I agree with this. It’s not very funny how people on this board will passive aggressively laugh at a post as a sign of disagreement. It’s annoying already. 

On 12/18/2021 at 1:41 PM, Jill said:

I’m reading 50 cases on this last Symphony sailing that ended this morning. This from a passenger who was symptomatic, went to medical, no fever so they didn’t test her. Didn’t quarantine her either. Now her daughter is symptomatic. They told her that to test her, she’d have to pay $160. 

If in fact there are 50 cases, that’s not good news and clearly the reason behind increased masking. 

I’d like to know how many of the cases flew to the port. 

Today’s embarkation has been moved back 2 1/2 hours. 

So far this is the only report I’m finding from mr sue happy cruise law news 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/12/articles/disease/covid-19-cases-increase-on-cruise-ships-as-lines-suppress-information/

I was on the Symphony cruise last week that is now making headlines. We had a passenger medevac'd via helicopter to San Juan due to a non-covid related health issue (heart problem). Nobody else was taken off. I'm guessing that reduced the already small medical staff as well.

Protocols will be relaxed soon hopefully. NFL and other venues are changing their protocols as we speak because the previous ones were too strict based on the data that this variant is not nearly as serious. It was costing them money (cancelled games etc.) over outdated data (and incorrect data ...... go figure). We have a March cruise booked and will be cancelling if things don't improve. People that are scared to death of this thing should just stay at home (locked up if they prefer). If I can't enjoy my vacation, I'll pick an area that will let me enjoy it normally. I understand RCCL has to cave and do not blame them. It's a business however, I hope they don't go under. 

2 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

upsetting news, concerning the masks

Now for international travelers coming back home,  Royal no longer offering PCR tests.  Wow

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-to-take-a-test-if-traveling-to-us-from-another-country

I would assume that's because more and more foreigners are taking cruises now and it's too much to handle.

But it looks like they'll still contract out to have someone offer tests at the terminal.

I guess we'll be taking Binax Now tests on our June Vancouver cruise