Beach day with kids - Cozumel vs Costa Maya

wannabecruiseexpert

On our upcoming sailing in April, we will go to Cozumel and Costa Maya. We will have a 6 yo and 14 yo, both will be fully vaccinated. I only want to do 1 beach day and am torn between Mr Sanchos and Maya Chan. We have never been to either one. I've read some really good comparisons on here, but none specifically with kids. I doubt either of the kids will care about the inflatable water park. Which stop would you pick for a beach day?

8 hours ago, wannabecruiseexpert said:

On our upcoming sailing in April, we will go to Cozumel and Costa Maya. We will have a 6 yo and 14 yo, both will be fully vaccinated. I only want to do 1 beach day and am torn between Mr Sanchos and Maya Chan. We have never been to either one. I've read some really good comparisons on here, but none specifically with kids. I doubt either of the kids will care about the inflatable water park. Which stop would you pick for a beach day?

I have a 15 year old and he has definitely enjoyed the inflatables.

I would also consider Paradise Beach in Cozumel. It has a pay as you go option vs Mr Sancho's which is all inclusive. 

22 hours ago, wannabecruiseexpert said:

Costa Maya offers access to Mayan ruins, so I'd use Cozumel for the beach day.  Most of the interesting excursions from Cozumel require a bumpy ride to the mainland.

On 12/18/2021 at 1:00 PM, Baked Alaska said:

We are going to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel to avoid the vomit comit (after our other excursion was cancelled).

+1. Just got back and I enjoyed Nachi a lot. Very quiet and my understanding daily limits so doesn't get crowded. My friends and I grabbed a taxi right outside the shops. Easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say visit Mayan ruins in Costa Maya and spend the beach day in Cozumel!

When I was in Costa Maya a few months ago I booked an excursion to the Chacchoben Ruins and really enjoyed it. The ruins were well preserved and fascinating, and we had a great guide. Plus, I believe that getting to ruins in Costa Maya is easier than in Cozumel (Chacchoben is only about an hour ride away from the port in Costa Maya).