Anybody do Stuart Coves 2 tank shark dive ?

Diver John

John,

I have not had the opportunity for this dive. I have read a lot about it on line and in dive magazines. Surprisingly, it is pretty safe as long as you do what the divemaster says to do and not to do. The divers form a large circle and kneel on the sandy bottom. They then bring the bait cage down into the center of the circle and the sharks come swimming in to be fed. At that point in time you will want to keep your hands and arms close to your body. Some divers have said the sharks run into them trying to get to the bait. The sharks are not interested in the divers, just the bait. Stuart Cove has been running these dives for many years and there have not been any reported disasters. The shrak feeders wear steel mesh suits for their protection. 

Be sure to check the restrictions on the RC excursion if you're going with RC. If you're going with an independent dive operator, check their restrictions also. Have fun! 

Stuart Cove is the contractor who does the RC scuba excursions. Of course, the shark encounter is not a RC excursion. The shark encounter boat leaves at 2pm and gets back at 6pm or later (if you are doing a 3 nighter it will have to be on Majesty; Enchantment leaves at 5pm). I'm not sure but it appears you could do a morning 2 tanker and shark dive in the afternoon. I think there is enough surface interval and the shark dive is not that deep. My wife and I are considering a Majesty 3 nighter in August--essentially so I can do this dive. I'm going to spend the extra $ with Stuart Cove to get the AWARE- Shark accreditation; I thinks it's another $60 or so.

I am doing this excursion through another app that counts down your days until you get on your " ship " so I am paying extra but they guarantee safe return to ship and will pay to get you to next port should you miss it.

Think I will call Stuart cove directly and see if I can pay them directly to upgrade to the online certification you mentioned, can do the eight videos and test prior to the cruise and dives while cruise in port.

Thanks for the heads up !!!! Will post back what they say about upgrade.

Stuart Cove said since I was booked through a third party they could not modify the reservation in any way, the girl was very helpful and suggested I look into the cancellation policy to see if it would penalize me monetarily or if I would get a full refund.

Since I was cancelling further out than the 14 day cutoff I got a full refund of my 245.00 then rebooked directly for 250.00 plus tax with Stuart's. same pickup time and everything, just not covered if miss boat on return, well worth it imho

Pick up is at 11:45 am in their van, go to dive shop and fill out paperwork for dives. Then correct sheet on sharks for shark awareness cert. next it's out in the boat for first dive ( probably at the wall near feeding grounds according to rep) to swim and see sharks doing their normal daily routine. Back to boat for surface interval and move to feeding area, divers go down (wear extra weight and full dive skin or wet suit) set in circle kneeling around feeding spot once everyone ready diver with baitbox descends and the fun begins. Both dives are in the afternoon one early one mid afternoon, usually back by 5:00 on dock my boat leaves at midnight need to be on by 11:00 pm. Going on June 27 will definitely do a detailed write up on this excursion as there is not much on any of the sites.