Food Photos

Tylor

Post your food photos here! If you haven't noticed I enjoy food, especially dessert. Well, okay I really enjoy tiramisu.

If you're sailing on a Royal Caribbean ship that has a Portofino specialty restaurant, you should really have dinner there. Each year the number of ships that have Portofino goes down as they are converted to Giovanni's Table. Giovanni's is good, but serves more casual Italian cuisine family style. Where Portofino is a fine Italian dining experience.

portofino-tiramisu.jpg

Tiramisu Portfino, in an edible chocolate cup. From Matt's Portofino reivew, found here: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/03/12/restaurant-review-portofino

I love this photo Matt, you've got mad photog skills.

On the hunt: Tiramisu is served in other locations onboard. Italian night in the MDR offers tiramisu on the dessert menu. Although it lacks in presentation when compared to the Portofino version, it is still good. Giovanni's Table also serves tiramisu which is made in a large tray and scooped onto a plate. Again, not as fancy, but good. Sorrento's Pizzeria also has a number of dessert cups which include a tiramisu dessert cup. It is a must try portable version. You won't be disappointed.

normal_P1010028.JPG

Tartufo al Cioccolato Portofino: Presentation is key with the desserts at Portofino. This is good, but I'm biased and nothing will overrule the tiramisu for me. Photo credit: RCLBlog member Marc

60241_10100355091066474_6157958_n.jpg

Portofino also has a great bread basket and selection of tapenade for spreading. Royal Caribbean serves kalamata olive tapenade in Portofino as well as in the MDR when lunch is served.

60540_10100355094145304_6111082_n.jpg

Passion Fruit Mousse Chops Grille, light and refreshing.

61197_10100355094075444_2519130_n.jpg

Chops also serves a number of heavier desserts like NYC Cheesecake and Chocolate Mud Pie, both pictured above. There's something guaranteed to suit your fancy on the Chops Grille dessert menu.

Now, don't just go to Chops or Portofino for dessert. The food is excellent at both. Even if you don't eat steak, Chops has chicken and the side dishes (served family style) are amazing as well. You'll find everything from steak, chicken, seafood, and pasta at Portofino.

If you're a frequent Royal Caribbean cruiser, then there is no doubt that a dish you loved is probably no longer on the menu. For me, it was the Blue Cheese Tortellini. Served in the MDR, I had this on Liberty in 2008 and Freedom in 2010. Rich and full of flavor, cheese tortellini topped with a cream sauce and crumbled, melted blue cheese.

p1020035_640x480.jpg

Blue Cheese Tortellini MDR

If you're a frequent Royal Caribbean cruiser, then there is no doubt that a dish you loved is probably no longer on the menu. For me, it was the Blue Cheese Tortellini. Served in the MDR, I had this on Liberty in 2008 and Freedom in 2010. Rich and full of flavor, cheese tortellini topped with a cream sauce and crumbled, melted blue cheese.

p1020035_640x480.jpg

Blue Cheese Tortellini MDR

Oh man that looks perfect!

We're planning our first cruise in April, 2015 aboard Oasis. I'll have to remember to post back here, as I'm a notorious for taking pictures of my food.

Please do! Love it when people post food photos. The menu's change occasionally so maybe you'll see something new? Look forward to seeing what you eat!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Tylor, not sure what this is ? is it a Creme Brulee with Baileys  :D and if so do you have any pics.

Yes! So there is a cocktail onboard Royal Caribbean ships called the BBC. It is Bailey's Irish Cream, Banana Liqueur and Colada mix. The BBC Creme Brulee is a take on that cocktail. So imagine creamy custard with a hint of Bailey's Irish Cream flavor and fresh banana. It's divine and part of the "always available" selection of desserts on the main dining room dinner menu!  

2013OasisoftheSeascruise173_zps1ee279b0.

Yes! So there is a cocktail onboard Royal Caribbean ships called the BBC. It is Bailey's Irish Cream, Banana Liqueur and Colada mix. The BBC Creme Brulee is a take on that cocktail. So imagine creamy custard with a hint of Bailey's Irish Cream flavor and fresh banana. It's divine and part of the "always available" selection of desserts on the main dining room dinner menu!  

2013OasisoftheSeascruise173_zps1ee279b0.

Wow this looks yummy  :D. Pretty sure my wife will be going for the Cocktail version and the dessert version  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking  our first cruise End of August .  What are some of the recommended dishes in the MDR?  Specialty Drinks? Favorite Desserts?

TIA

The BBC Creme Brulee pictured above is a great dessert and is available every night. What types of food interest you? There will be meat, seafood, chicken, and pasta dishes available each night. Some nights feature Indian or vegetarian entrees. 

We are taking  our first cruise End of August .  What are some of the recommended dishes in the MDR?  Specialty Drinks? Favorite Desserts?

TIA

French onion soup, escargot, the tortillas on the kids menu (seriously), spinach dip are what come to my mind right now