Canadians, hold on to your seat belts

This is the latest from Canada's Travel Advisory.    We'll see if this changes today

Temporary border restrictions and measures to address COVID-19 Omicron variant of concern

In effect: Fully vaccinated travellers who have been in any country other than Canada and the United States in the 14 days prior to entry to Canada may be selected for arrival testing. They must quarantine in a suitable place until they receive a negative test result. They may take public transportation (for example, connecting flights) to their place of quarantine.

The Government of Canada is increasing the number of fully vaccinated travellers being selected for testing to reach 100% of vaccinated travellers in the coming weeks.

Requirements for unvaccinated travellers remain unchanged.

News release

For travellers who have been in the following countries within 14 days prior to arrival in Canada: Botswana, Egypt, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Zimbabwe:

Countries with COVID-19 entry restrictions

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So they're randomly selecting people to test, and you have to quarantine while you await test results (even if you're asymptomatic), but you can continue to travel to your quarantine spot?

What a joke.

Right and the cost of quarantine hotels is on the traveler.  The full 14 day hotel cost is around $2k per person.  They haven't determined a 3 day hotel quarantine cost assuming you are negative and cleared to leave the hotel by day 3.  So if you are not a resident living in Canada you could be directed to the quarantine hotel (jail) at their discretion.

Most importantly the selection criteria to quarantine is all at the discretion of the CBSA agent you meet at the border.  If they don't like the color of your shirt... off to quarantine.  Wearing white after labour day? Ugh! Quarantine for you!

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

Right and the cost of quarantine hotels is on the traveler.  The full 14 day hotel cost is around $2k per person.  They haven't determined a 3 day hotel quarantine cost assuming you are negative and cleared to leave the hotel by day 3.  So if you are not a resident living in Canada you could be directed to the quarantine hotel (jail) at their discretion

Not that it makes it any better but you no longer have to go to a quarantine hotel, you can quarantine at home. Friends of mine were ‘randomly selected’ after returning from a cruise and were sent home with a home test which they took and had results within 24 hours.

I still think it’s stupid that when fully vaccinated and with a negative test in hand you are asked to ‘quarantine’ till you get another test result but wanted to point out it’s NOT 14 days and it is NOT in a ‘quarantine’ hotel. I think is important that we don’t over react n here like the mainstream media does.

That said, they could come out with protocols today that do require 14 days in a quarantine hotel but I certainly hope not. 

7 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Not that it makes it any better but you no longer have to go to a quarantine hotel, you can quarantine at home. Friends of mine were ‘randomly selected’ after returning from a cruise and were sent home with a home test which they took and had results within 24 hours.

I still think it’s stupid that when fully vaccinated and with a negative test in hand you are asked to ‘quarantine’ till you get another test result but wanted to point out it’s NOT 14 days and it is NOT in a ‘quarantine’ hotel. I think is important that we don’t over react n here like the mainstream media does.

That said, they could come out with protocols today that do require 14 days in a quarantine hotel but I certainly hope not. 

My home is in US.  How do I quarantine in my home for entry into Canada?

That's my point - if you don't live in Canada stay the duck away from Canada - that's the message they are sending the world.  Stay away from Canada.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

My home is in US.  How do I quarantine in my home for entry into Canada?

That's my point - if you don't live in Canada stay the duck away from Canada - that's the message they are sending the world.  Stay away from Canada.

Fully agree with you on that point. My message was aimed to Canadian cruisers worried about having to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel upon returning from a cruise.

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm beginning to regret booking a cruise out of Vancouver in June

I'm wondering if my cruise in May is a go.

I was supposed to do a S2S from Vancouver.  Serenade then Quantum ending in Seattle.  Then Quantum was moved to Seattle so I have to fly from Vancouver to Seattle.

By May I'll probably need hourly CV tests to fly into Vancouver, minute by minute tests after my cruise arrives back into Vancouver and a probe somewhere unpleasant to fly from Vancouver to Seattle.  

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm wondering if my cruise in May is a go.

I was supposed to do a S2S from Vancouver.  Serenade then Quantum ending in Seattle.  Then Quantum was moved to Seattle so I have to fly from Vancouver to Seattle.

By May I'll probably need hourly CV tests to fly into Vancouver, minute by minute tests after my cruise arrives back into Vancouver and a probe somewhere unpleasant to fly from Vancouver to Seattle.  

You forgot to mention the minimum of 2 booster shots you will need during that time period as well.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm beginning to regret booking a cruise out of Vancouver in June

Way too far out to worry, and I've got a Vancouver cruise in May/June.

Delta variant was all the rage this fall. There's a cycle clearly to this.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Right and the cost of quarantine hotels is on the traveler.  The full 14 day hotel cost is around $2k per person.  They haven't determined a 3 day hotel quarantine cost assuming you are negative and cleared to leave the hotel by day 3.  So if you are not a resident living in Canada you could be directed to the quarantine hotel (jail) at their discretion.

Most importantly the selection criteria to quarantine is all at the discretion of the CBSA agent you meet at the border.  If they don't like the color of your shirt... off to quarantine.  Wearing white after labour day? Ugh! Quarantine for you!

To my understanding, you can use your home as a suitable location to Quarantine until provide proof of a negative test. 

Before travelling to Canada, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, must make suitable plans for quarantine, within their own means.

Travellers who qualify as fully vaccinated may be exempt from quarantine. Eligibility will be determined at the border. However, before you travel you must still make plans for suitable quarantine and enter those plans into ArriveCAN.

You are required to quarantine for a period of 14 days after travel if:

• You are not fully vaccinated
  • You are not given the fully vaccinated traveller exemption at the border (eligibility will be determined at the border)

Use these questions to guide you in developing a suitable plan.

When you arrive at the border, you will be asked about your quarantine plan to confirm it meets requirements.

A suitable quarantine plan helps to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our country, our communities, and our families.

Do you have a place where you could quarantine for 14 days, if determined necessary at the border? (required)
Yes
No

21 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

To my understanding, you can use your home as a suitable location to Quarantine until provide proof of a negative test. 

Before travelling to Canada, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, must make suitable plans for quarantine, within their own means.

Travellers who qualify as fully vaccinated may be exempt from quarantine. Eligibility will be determined at the border. However, before you travel you must still make plans for suitable quarantine and enter those plans into ArriveCAN.

You are required to quarantine for a period of 14 days after travel if:

• You are not fully vaccinated
  • You are not given the fully vaccinated traveller exemption at the border (eligibility will be determined at the border)

Use these questions to guide you in developing a suitable plan.

When you arrive at the border, you will be asked about your quarantine plan to confirm it meets requirements.

A suitable quarantine plan helps to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our country, our communities, and our families.

Do you have a place where you could quarantine for 14 days, if determined necessary at the border? (required)
Yes
No

I think we've already discussed that Canadian residents can quarantine at home.  People who don't live in Canada don't have a home in Canada.  

For anyone who doesn't live in Canada, they require a quarantine plan in case CBSA decides they need it. 

For example my quarantine plan, if CBSA declares I need to use it,  is to turn around and go back to the US.  

“If we keep getting vaccinated and people get their booster shots and we get kids vaccinated and we continue to follow public health rules, we’re going to make it through this winter and into a much better summer,” Trudeau said.

How many times are they going to tell us the same thing? How many times are we just going to take it? Tell them NO. They aren't smarter than we are, they don't care more about my family and friends than I do, they aren't doing it for our good. They are politicians and they only understand one interest - their political future - tell them NO.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-formally-advise-against-international-travel-amid-covid-19-case-surge-1.5708467

Feds formally advise against international travel amid COVID-19 case surge

The federal government is again advising against non-essential foreign travel as COVID-19 cases rise in Canada and the threat of the Omicron variant of concern mounts.

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos made the announcement Wednesday in a joint press conference with other ministers and public health officials.

This is a breaking news story. More to come…

And on CBC's website

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-travel-restrictions-omicron-1.6286656

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos is asking Canadians with plans to travel abroad to cancel their trips as the highly transmissible Omicron variant spreads worldwide.

Later today, the federal government will change its travel guidance to officially advise Canadians to avoid non-essential travel outside the country for the time being.

"To those who were planning to travel, I say very clearly — now is not the time to travel. The rapid spread of the Omicron variant on a global scale makes us fear the worst," Duclos said.

1 hour ago, Rene Desmarais said:

Listening Live at the moment,

Federal Government is asking/advising Canadians to avoid non essential travel during the holidays.  Not a Ban

@twangster  you beat me to it .. lol

Dear Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos I hear your advice but........See ya. Leaving my plans in place to travel the first week of January. 

I have been a good little boy, I have gotten my vaccinations, I mask up where required, and I will head out on my cruise feeling perfectly safe thank you very much