Solo Cruising?

WackyCactus

I'm definitely considering a solo cruise to Cozumel soon.  I'm wondering if anyone has personal insight into what this might be like.  You know, dining experience, shows, rock climbing, flowrider?

If you've done a solo cruise, I'd definitely like to hear your story and thoughts.

I read Matt's article about solo cruising, but would definitely like to hear of people's personal experiences.

Thanks so much!!

I mostly cruise solo.  

In the past I traveled for business often which is a lot like solo cruising.  On a business trip I was alone each evening and had to find things to do and eat by myself.  I was not going to rely on fast food so I grew accustomed to eating in full service restaurants by myself.  Cruising solo came naturally to me because it was much like one of my business trips except everyone around me is having fun and it's very easy to strike up a conversation on a ship.

Cruising solo means I don't need a large cabin because it's just me.  I can do what I want, when I want to do it.  It's usually easy to find a seat in the theater because I just need one seat.  If I feel like a full service dinner the MDR is always available to me but if I just want to grab something and go the Windjammer is there.  Sometimes I just have pizza for dinner, just like at home.  

There are tables for two in the MDR or you can ask to be seated at a shared table.  I prefer to eat alone but to each their own.  

Shore excursions are affordable because you are only shopping for one person.  Want to spend $300 on a helicopter ride to a glacier?  No problem, it's just one ticket.  Feel like specialty dining?  Just one cover charge to pay.  

When it's time to debark or make my way to the airport it's just me so I can go at my pace.

I think I'd have a harder time planning a solo vacation on land or to a far away destination by plane but on a cruise solo travel is easy and it allows me to vacation to bucket list destinations I probably wouldn't try to piece together flying there solo. 

Reaching 340 points in Crown & Anchor helps significantly for solo cruisers because they reduce the single supplement at that point.  Until then you have to pay a 200% supplement most of the time but you do get double points in most cabins.  There are many reduced single supplements out there right now so it is a great time to cruise solo.  

Me too! I cruise solo virtually all the time. I do what I want, when I want. Not having to reach a consensus on what to do is the best. I prefer to dine alone so I get a table for two…either at MDR or specialty restaurants. I’m easy to spot…I’m the guy sitting alone reading my cell phone. I, too like the fact that I can change my mind about dining and just go grab something quick…or do a walk-in to a specialty restaurant.
The crew is excellent and always willing to engage in conversation. I’ve learned a lot about them, their homes and their ship life. Many of them spend up to eight months, and more, aboard ship.
Like @twangstersaid, getting a good seat in the theater or other venues is fairly easy…there’s always room for one!  
I’m finally at the level where my C&A points gives me the 150% solo supplement so my prices have dropped significantly. The double points really helped. But, even before…I was able to get pretty good prices just by checking the website and looking for price drops, or even drops in higher categories that made them more attainable. I would quickly call and lock in the better price, or cabin, or location…whatever change I wanted without having to consult with a fellow traveler. Also, some ships actually offer solo cabins. They are smaller…and some ships have solo balcony cabins (they sell fast)…but you don’t have to pay double occupancy.
The most important thing about solo cruising is you are solo but not alone. You’re surrounded by cruisers who are happy to be aboard, and to be on vacation. It’s easy to strike up a conversation with others and be friends by the time you disembark. I still keep in contact with many cruisers I met onboard ships and sometimes meet them again on other ships. The ship typically has a solo cruiser get together early on where solos can meet and mingle. Ive never done it but it’s another way to break the ice.  
While doing the Flowrider, the audience and crew will cheer and support you just like they do for everyone. The Rock Wall is the same. 
Whatever you choose to do…whenever you choose to do it…have a great cruise, a great experience and enjoy yourself!😁

4 hours ago, WackyCactus said:

I'm definitely considering a solo cruise to Cozumel soon.  I'm wondering if anyone has personal insight into what this might be like.  You know, dining experience, shows, rock climbing, flowrider?

If you've done a solo cruise, I'd definitely like to hear your story and thoughts.

I read Matt's article about solo cruising, but would definitely like to hear of people's personal experiences.

Thanks so much!!

I am a solo cruiser! Was in Cozumel last month.  Being solo on the ship is quite enjoyable. Having the freedom to just go do what you want when you want. Dining by oneself as a solo is quite common and you'll see other people doing it. Sometimes you'll meet a nice couple or group who will want to invite you to sit with them. Up to you how friendly you want to get. 

In Cozumel, I did Paradise Beach an all inclusive beach resort for the day. if you can find others to share a taxi with it will bring the cost down but the beach itself was very nice. and again, you can meet people there if you want. 

I typically travel solo by land and by sea. My only concern is where I go because I am a woman. Other than that, I have a great time. If you are worried you won't enjoy yourself as much, don't be. Not only will be able to do much more because it is just you, but you can easily meet new people to make the experience better.

As a solo cruiser, I like dining alone.  But I've had opportunities to socialize at the trivia games and the dance classes.  I've met a lot of nice people on excursions too.  On my last cruise I ended up being the videographer for those on the cenoté excursion with me.  I took videos of their plunges in slow-motion on my iPhone and airdropped them to their phones.  After that we always said hi when we bumped into each other on the ship. We even got to cheer for each other at the rock climbing wall.

I just did my first solo cruise in November and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely won't be the last time, in fact I have another planned for April. 

My only issue was dining. I didn't mind dining alone, didn't really care what other's thought. I just didn't care for a longer dining experience as a solo. I've always loved dinner in the main dining room but with a group you don't mind the time it takes. Of course until capacity ramps back up and the Windjammer not being open for dinner it means either doing specialty at night or adapting the way I did and just eating a really late lunch in the Windjammer and then just getting a slice of pizza and maybe a sandwich in the evening. 

Spent a lot of quality solo time on the pool deck and in fact got 2 books read in a 4 day cruise. Was just the relaxing getaway I needed.

10 minutes ago, Brando95 said:

I just did my first solo cruise in November and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely won't be the last time, in fact I have another planned for April. 

My only issue was dining. I didn't mind dining alone, didn't really care what other's thought. I just didn't care for a longer dining experience as a solo. I've always loved dinner in the main dining room but with a group you don't mind the time it takes. Of course until capacity ramps back up and the Windjammer not being open for dinner it means either doing specialty at night or adapting the way I did and just eating a really late lunch in the Windjammer and then just getting a slice of pizza and maybe a sandwich in the evening. 

Spent a lot of quality solo time on the pool deck and in fact got 2 books read in a 4 day cruise. Was just the relaxing getaway I needed.

This can vary by ship but with My Time dining you can talk to the wait staff, tell them you have plans and would appreciate faster service.

Recently I saw an entree I liked in the MDR but I wasn't looking for a the full service experience.  I looked at the menu in the app, i knew what I wanted before I went so when I was seated I told them "I have plans and just want this entree with no dessert, is it possible to expedite dinner?"  I was fed and out in 20 minutes.  Easier for them, faster for me.

If you still want 3 courses they can't expedite everything, but if you make it simple they'll usually work with you.  By default they assume you want the full service regular dining experience.  

have only started cruising solo about 4 years ago and I LOVE it.  I have done 3 solo cruises on RCCL, 1 on Celebrity and 2 resort vacations.  My last was on Oasis this past September and I am sailing solo on Anthem for this Christmas. What I like about solo vacations is that you can do whatever you want when you want and no arguments (unless you argue with yourself) .  It's easy to get a seat at the theater and at the pool.  The first night in the MDR can feel a little awkward but with the right waitstaff you will do fine.   I enjoyed eating in the MDR solo because the waitstaff seem to pay special attention to us solo cruisers (at least I feel that way).  Also there is no one at my table to judge me or comment if I want 2 desserts every night.  I did have a few invites to join others at dinner because they felt sad that I was eating alone.  I thanked them and told them that I enjoy my own company.    I am also one that always carries my e-reader with me when I eat (I do it at home too).   I can't wait 10 days until my solo Anthem cruise for the holidays.  First holiday cruise sailing solo but I have my Christmas decor for my cabin & door and my reindeer slippers & antlers.

I have never cruised solo but I can see one really big attraction of it would be being able to do what you  want, when you want to, without having to constantly check with others if it's fine by them.

We recently sailed again with SIL and BIL after a hiatus of several years during which we sailed just as a couple and - this is going to sound terrible but it's true - it was really hard work trying to make sure everyone was happy. I always go to the gym daily on every cruise and on this last one it was just such a relief to get that hour of me time!

I've done my first solo cruises in these past 3 months.  
I found facebook groups for each of my cruises (google ship name and date of sailing)
I was fortunate to see a solo/single cruise meet up in the FB group for embarkation day of my first solo sailing.  Met a lovely group of people, we went to the dining room and asked for a table together. We met for trivia at 10am daily and had dinner together, if we chose to meet up throughout the day-bonus!
2nd sailing-I arranged the solo meet up.  Epic fail.  I ended up dining alone, with couples seated within 12 inches of me on either side.  One couple wouldn't give me the time of day, the other couple included me in convo when the couple on their other side didn't show up for dinner for 2 nights.  Whatever.  
3rd sailing-also a solo meet/greet.  Met a lot of nice people, who also went to the FB pub crawl the next day. (I drank coffee in my Yeti).  This sailing they allowed the mixing of people at tables so I was added to a table with 3 couples, and 3 singles (long story on why there was 9 of us).  I enjoyed this.  Met one woman who we would hang out after dinner.
Single/solo events run by the ship were not available on my first 2 sailings but were on the 3rd.  I went to a few and met some nice people.
I enjoyed my alone time, and I enjoyed talking to people.  Good luck!

Did my first solo this last month and I really loved it. I enjoyed the freedom to do what I wanted, when I wanted. Schooner Lounge was a great place to connect with folks through trivia, games and just hanging out.  Figure out what you love doing (trivia, dancing, sports, etc) and you should have no problem meeting people.  In the MDR they were incredibly flexible and let me sit solo, or with friends I had met on the cruise.  While there were times that I missed having a partner in crime, it was refreshing to just do my thing and not have to check in with anyone.  I had an interior room this last trip (had to try it once) and even though it was a nice room, I wanted to be able to see the water, so that forced me to wander and find spots to watch the world pass by. I brought two books to read, and made it through one book, but not the 2nd one because I kept running into people who wanted to chat.  Same thing that @Pattycruise said... I enjoyed my time alone, and my time chatting with others.