Fellow New Yorkers, where are you getting tested? We are nervous about delays!

TBruce77

Last few times it took more than 48 hours for our doctors to get back to us. We are in Queens and I am not very confident since the doctor's office doesn't technically offer rapid results, they just said "should receive results by next day"

We have to get our tests on Wednesday, must receive results by Thursday so we can fly early Friday morning. We also have 11 year old who will be fully vaccinated but won't be considered fully since it will be only 10 days from 2nd dose. 

Where are fellow NYers getting tested and how quickly did you get your results?

Thanks in advance!

I work in LIC.  I am going here for my test: https://www.clearmdhealth.com/astoria  I also thought about going here: https://www.citymd.com/urgent-care-locations/ny/queens/long-island-city/252, but I hear the lines can be very long.  There are also several CVSes in the area where you can schedule a test.

Plus the at-home option is a good one as @Mattsaid.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

One other major advantage of the at-home test is you don't potentially expose yourself to someone with Covid at a pharmacy/urgent care.

Thanks Matt, how long does it take to receive the tests, website says due to demand, expect delays.

1 hour ago, BrianAlt said:

I work in LIC.  I am going here for my test: https://www.clearmdhealth.com/astoria  I also thought about going here: https://www.citymd.com/urgent-care-locations/ny/queens/long-island-city/252, but I hear the lines can be very long.  There are also several CVSes in the area where you can schedule a test.

Thanks, this is a great convenience, but since we are traveling with an 11 year old who will not be considered fully vaccinated due to 2nd dose being 10 days from our cruise, we still need to take him to a testing facility, so if that needs to be done, we might as well all go together and get it done at the same place.

When are you planning to go to ClearMD?

1 hour ago, TBruce77 said:

When are you planning to go to ClearMD?

My appointment at ClearMD is 2 days before my cruise.  I believe for a little more $$$ they will do a rapid PCR test. Looked it up: Express PCR - 2 PM the next day $95 or Priority RT-PCR in 2 hours $389.  The former would seem to fit your needs.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

One other major advantage of the at-home test is you don't potentially expose yourself to someone with Covid at a pharmacy/urgent care.

You can currently use you FSA/HSA monies to purchase your test. Since this is the end of the year it is a good way to use. I purchased the 6 pack on emed and used all FSA dollars. 

We used the Abbott BinaxNOW home tests TWO days before boarding and had appointments at CVS for rapid testing ONE day before boarding, just in case.  Once we received our results for the home tests we cancelled the CVS rapid test appointments.  The Abbott BinaxNOW tests have been pretty reliable for us.

17 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

My appointment at ClearMD is 2 days before my cruise.  I believe for a little more $$$ they will do a rapid PCR test. Looked it up: Express PCR - 2 PM the next day $95 or Priority RT-PCR in 2 hours $389.  The former would seem to fit your needs.

Yes noticed the 2PM next day option, I think we will go for that, 3 of us same day Wed early morning, then hopefully Thursday 2PM we'll have our results. 

13 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

You can currently use you FSA/HSA monies to purchase your test. Since this is the end of the year it is a good way to use. I purchased the 6 pack on emed and used all FSA dollars. 

With HSA, you don't technically need to use it by end of the year, unless I am confusing it with something else. I tried to get our company to do HSA a while back, there were some complications costs etc they backed out. It is usually considered as another line of investment towards retirement if you already over the limit for your ROTH/T-IRA's.

8 minutes ago, Dicey said:

We used the Abbott BinaxNOW home tests TWO days before boarding and had appointments at CVS for rapid testing ONE day before boarding, just in case.  Once we received our results for the home tests we cancelled the CVS rapid test appointments.  The Abbott BinaxNOW tests have been pretty reliable for us.

Good thinking, but like I said with children that are considered unvaccinated in-home tests are not accepted. 

8 minutes ago, TBruce77 said:

With HSA, you don't technically need to use it by end of the year, unless I am confusing it with something else. I tried to get our company to do HSA a while back, there were some complications costs etc they backed out. It is usually considered as another line of investment towards retirement if you already over the limit for your ROTH/T-IRA's.

HSA doesn't have to be used by the end of the year, but the FSA does.  FSA is a non-invested pre-tax account that is to be used for the current year's health care and dependent care related expenses.

4 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

HSA doesn't have to be used by the end of the year, but the FSA does.  FSA is a non-invested pre-tax account that is to be used for the current year's health care and dependent care related expenses.

Yes, I have a FSA which is all I am familiar with but I was very happy when they began allowing FSA dollars to be used to purchase at home test! I was also able to use my end of the year leftover dollars to purchase sunscreen for the upcoming voyage!! 

For kids RC allows additional day, so we can do his on Tuesday for him since they will test again before getting on board the ship at the port.

FSA/HSA, it's great to have either, you guys are lucky to have that. With HSA insurance has to be one of the bad ones so you can open it yourself, I thought about it, changing our insurance company to a lower coverage and then saving the money to HSA, but any worse insurance did not have much difference in monthly premiums to make sense of it. I was hoping something half the premium, but nope even some of the lowest of lowest had high premiums.

Sunscreen! 😄

14 hours ago, TBruce77 said:

Last few times it took more than 48 hours for our doctors to get back to us. We are in Queens and I am not very confident since the doctor's office doesn't technically offer rapid results, they just said "should receive results by next day"

We have to get our tests on Wednesday, must receive results by Thursday so we can fly early Friday morning. We also have 11 year old who will be fully vaccinated but won't be considered fully since it will be only 10 days from 2nd dose. 

Thanks in advance!

Got my test done at CVS. Completely free, no insurance required. 

Received results in like an hour. Straight into My Chart. 

You can schedule 2 weeks in advance online. They have rapid antigen, PCR and rapid PCR. Depending on location you choose. Yes, there's such thing as rapid PCR. I wasn't aware. I've taken it myself. Basically machine using same exact method as PCR, but results in an hour. 

Printout shows all the details on the lab, test, etc. 

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

15 hours ago, TBruce77 said:

Thanks in advance!

Stat Health / CityMD did mine. super easy and quick results.  I also purchased the at home tests (proctored) as a backup. 

there are many Queens CityMD locations.

26 minutes ago, Vlad said:

You can schedule 2 weeks in advance online. They have rapid antigen, PCR and rapid PCR. Depending on location you choose. Yes, there's such thing as rapid PCR. I wasn't aware. I've taken it myself. Basically machine using same exact method as PCR, but results in an hour. 

image.png.02928e1806a6718ee64b2afb65eac498.png

I am checking and when I click Rapid test, it's giving me drive-through test site at Kings Highway in Brooklyn.

When I click on Molecular Lab (1-2 days) it is giving me Bronx. 
It doesn't mention rapid PCR. I might have to drive out to Long Island to get tested if they have any sites out there, but which one did you make the appointment for?

24 minutes ago, D Alt said:

Stat Health / CityMD did mine. super easy and quick results.  I also purchased the at home tests (proctored) as a backup. 

there are many Queens CityMD locations.

Thanks, I called my local CityMD, they said they don't do the test for travel, I am going to go down the list to see if anyone else does it. 

50 minutes ago, TBruce77 said:

image.png.02928e1806a6718ee64b2afb65eac498.png

I am checking and when I click Rapid test, it's giving me drive-through test site at Kings Highway in Brooklyn.

When I click on Molecular Lab (1-2 days) it is giving me Bronx. 
It doesn't mention rapid PCR. I might have to drive out to Long Island to get tested if they have any sites out there, but which one did you make the appointment for?

Thanks, I called my local CityMD, they said they don't do the test for travel, I am going to go down the list to see if anyone else does it. 

Yes, I've tried to search for myself. 

If you live in Queens, I don't see any of CVS Minute Clinics that have Rapid PCR. PROBABLY expensive machines to have everywhere. I see in Brooklyn and Queens. Haven't searched in Long Island. 

And lab PCR, you're correct, some sites are drive-in. You stay in the car... 

I've used site in Brooklyn, corner of Kings Hwy and Nostrand Ave. Let me try to attach screenshot. 

P.S.

On this site, where it says Lane, it does not mean for car. It's room #1. They have 4 lanes/ rooms with separate reservation schedule. So for myself as example, I've scheduled for whole family. Same time, at 3 different rooms. They took us all together. We had morning appt. In and out in like 5 minutes or so... 

Screenshot_20211214-171425_Samsung Internet.jpg

We are going on the Oasis on 12/26 and have neighborhood pharmacy appointments for the 24th (we're in Brooklyn).  I booked these months ago, this place is great for that.  

https://oakparkpharmacy.wixsite.com/onthecircle   I'm not sure if you'd want to travel over here. 

We took tests at this pharmacy for Thanksgiving, as well.  However, only 3 of our 5 results were returned.  So, to make sure that we're covered, I bought a six pack of the eMed tests, too, because if we need them, it will be on Christmas Day.  I know that won't help with your child, but it's just a thought for the two of you.  Good luck!  You'll be fine and enjoying yourself before you know it!

EDIT:  You can also get a rapid test at this pharmacy, which costs $50, but I understand that you can get reimbursed for it.  We might do both.  Belt and suspenders and all...

Vlad, thank you so much for the screen shot, there might be something triggering this option. I will try few other options and will go there and get it done if nothing else is available. Nowhere else is giving me the Purple "Test Type: Rapid-result test (PCR)" option. Everything else I can find is "Rapid-result test (antigen)"

Thanks Dulis, not a bad idea to check local pharmacies, I haven't seen any signs of rapid tests around me, but we'll be sure to call/check. Sorry my replies might show up late since I'm still new and mods need to approve the messages.

We'll try to get our son tested on Tuesday, and we will do it on Wednesday, this way if ours is delayed at least we can go back and try to get rapid, we're still a bit nervous how tight the schedule is.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:33 AM, Matt said:

Get the at-home test for the fully vaccinated. Couldn't be easier or faster.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/20/i-tried-the-home-covid-19-test-royal-caribbean-accepts

On 12/14/2021 at 10:39 AM, Coachkev24 said:

def using this guide!!

I really did not need 6 pack test for $150 and I noticed they charge add'l $16 for shipping through eMed website, so I ended up going through Royal Caribbean's link which takes you to: Optum Store | Optum Store and they don't charge for shipping and they have options for 2-pack and 3-pack for $100 including 2 day shipping. I went with 3-pack for $100 for me and my wife since we are fully vaccinated. It looks like this is the only rapid in-home test RC accepts.

The plan is to do test on Wednesday morning for our Friday cruise. If there is any problem/delay/issues, that gives us 2 more days to go anywhere and pay for rapid test if needed.

For my son, I will make an appointment for express PCR on Tuesday which gives us results next day by 2PM at the place Brian recommended below, if there is any delay, it will give us 1 more day to get another testing.  It said Walgreen also carries the test, but I couldn't find the AG CARD version which seems like the only one accepted.

On 12/14/2021 at 10:40 AM, BrianAlt said:

On 12/14/2021 at 1:48 PM, BrianAlt said:

Been trying to reach them by phone or email, nobody is answering. 😞 Their website requires ID and we don't have any ID for my son, wondering if they will accept birth certificate or expired passport. The website doesn't mention they test kids either, which is another worry since they require payment up front and don't want to be out of $95.  We might have to go to the place in Brooklyn CVS to get it done, although it says that CVS is closed and now that's a community testing center. 

4 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I use the community testing site in new Rochelle.  It formerly was a regular CVS….now it’s only testing.  
get your appointments ASAP ,  I was looking for a friend in LI and it was difficult.  Not sure when you are sailing but if it’s during the holidays grab what you can

Thanks, did they offer quicker PCR test? I am hearing people wait longer and longer for results now. The one in Brooklyn is also community site, do they get crowded?  Vlad, yours is also community site, just wondering if it's one of those crowded places with lines even with an appointment. For adults I don't mind, but bringing kids and if it's crowded with potentially sick people getting tested.

Our cruise is on Friday so I scheduled him for Tuesday, and I received in-home test kits from RC this morning, we are all set. We will take our tests on Wednesday and I made appointment for ourselves for Thursday just to be safe so at least we have our own appointments secured at the same Rapid PCR site. Just want to make sure Rapid PCR is accepted by RC for "unvaccinated" children. I wish I had known this, he missed the chance to be considered fully vaccinated by 4 days.

On 12/14/2021 at 4:02 PM, Vlad said:

I wanted to share some update, first of all huge thanks to Vlad for sharing the rapid PCR option at CVS Minute Clinic. We drove from LIC area to Kings Parkway yesterday, took us about 3,5 hours travel+test+wait+return to get my son tested. We also had our own appointments for today at same place as well as our in-home card test kits ready. 

However the experience at the kings highway spot was a bit nerve wrecking because when we got there, the doors were locked and it said Closed. There were people outside waiting, while others were angrily leaving. I suppose those didn't have appointments, we waited until my son's appointment time and were really lucky to get tested because the lady said they only had 25 tests, and that company did not send them enough, these were being sourced from a doctor's office.

They also cancelled our PCR appointment we had for today, luckily we had our in-home test kits ready and got those done, and we are officially ready to cruise. 🙂

So if anyone is booking rapid PCR, I recommend book it as early as possible, there is no number to call directly, and the site is actually next to CVS, but once you get in, it's really quick in/out. There is no other location that's doing rapid PCR from what I can tell, unless you pay extra out of pocket and even then getting appointments or reaching to places like ClearMD is very difficult.

I am attaching what I found today about test sites in 5 boros.

COVID-19 Testing Sites | NYC Health + Hospitals (nychealthandhospitals.org)

Manhattan.jpg

Queens.jpg

hcyuy7oth3781.webp

5zpgvdqvh3781.webp

qwe1l1muh3781.webp

7 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Except when the Navica website crashes... (like it has been for the past few hours...)

True, I had to switch browsers few times, for some reason it kept giving me errors in Edge and kept reconnecting. I installed Firefox and now it said this is not compatible, I just copied and pasted the link from Edge to Firefox, and it worked on 1st try because link skips the "incompatible browser" message.

14 minutes ago, TBruce77 said:

True, I had to switch browsers few times, for some reason it kept giving me errors in Edge and kept reconnecting. I installed Firefox and now it said this is not compatible, I just copied and pasted the link from Edge to Firefox, and it worked on 1st try because link skips the "incompatible browser" message.

Hmm... eMed is claiming it's an AWS issue.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Update: I was able to get back into emed to do my test. I did get around the error on emed.com homepage by going to florida.emed.com and then I was able to start my session. 

Just waiting for the results now.

I'm glad the cruise lines are sailing again, but I do have to say trying to get all of these covid tests completed isn't exactly stress-free...

• 1 month later...

Would like to follow up, and thank everyone who helped us with above.

We came back from our cruise, and I am happy say I was more than satisfied with RC's response to covid and the way they made us feel safe on board. We did return to NY and tested positive shortly after but I am 99% sure that we got it at Universal Orlando and not the cruise.

This was our first sailing with RC.