Covid test results - The excitement begins after receiving

levib2

27 minutes ago, levib2 said:

Has anyone else felt that way?

Yes, totally.

We sailed in Europe where the rules were a bit different. Our pre-boarding test was done at the port, which made it even worse because we were in tenterhooks right up to the very last minute. Sitting in the waiting area at the port, knowing the ship was an arm's length away, those 15-20 minutes waiting for the results seemed to last a lifetime!

Hope you have a great cruise! 😊

Across social media feeds it is clear a lot of people have anxiety about testing.

It's not something that bothered me.  I was confident I was not somehow infected without a single symptom.  

The ability to secure an appointment was a concern this past summer.  I would stay up until midnight when the pharmacies loaded the next batch of appointments to ensure I could secure a test to meet the timing required.  Fast forward several months and the availability of testing is not an issue today, appointments are plentiful. 

My first test ever was attributable to the invitation to sail on the Allure CDC Simulation Cruise.  I suppose since that was a free cruise I wasn't concerned with the test to the same degree that I might have been if I had a regular cruise on the line.  Having said that my first real shot at going on a restart cruise, or so I thought at the time, was in June.  The test was the least of my concerns even for those cruises that ended up not sailing from the US.  

At this point I have a long list of negative test history having sailed many times since July.  It's a mere formality now, there is no concern about test results.

I think the best advice I could give anyone who does have test anxiety is to get tested a week or two before your cruise.  With a negative result behind you the cruise planning and excitement can commence.  For one of my early cruises on another line they tested everyone at the pier before boarding.  Despite not needing it I went ahead and got tested 3 days prior.  With a negative result in hand I was extremely confident as I waited in the terminal for their test results to come back.  That early test was a practice test.

Testing is free so get one done.  Even if you would prefer to buy a home test it's a small price to pay if it establishes you are good to go.    

I’m on my eighth cruise since September. After the first one, it all seems to be just routine now. I have an alarm set on my phone’s calendar to alert me that it’s two weeks from my Covid test date before each cruise. I do that because that’s when my CVS opens up scheduling for the test. I’m lucky because in Central New Jersey there are plenty of testing opportunities available. A quick drive and it’s done! Others have it much more difficult because of travel and time constraints along with less availability for testing.
Sometimes I’m onboard when I need to make the reservation so it’s good to have the WiFi. On my B2Bs, the tests were done on the ship so it was much easier.

The only times I got anxious about the tests was when I was able to successfully RoyalUp into really nice Sky Class Suites and worried that I wouldn’t be able to go. Other than that…it’s just routine now.

Our habits before Covid for cruising were always consistent, two weeks out we limited everything only work and school. If we needed something from the supermarket one of us would arrive at the opening to get what we needed for limited exposure, we just wanted to be in peak form ( LOL) for sailing! This was even before, probably been doing this since about 2015. We still limit but our daughter is attending high school in person, so that test requirement still gives me pause until it is returned negative. 

Our Thanksgiving sailing we all went to be tested together and the nurse comes out and says, "do you want the good news or the bad?" HOLY $%!t 

Nooooo, well the good news was we were all negative the bad news she wasn't sailing with us. I contained my emotions because she was just trying to be personable and cute but my heart skipped a beat!

This time around it will be the Royal approved at home EMED tests, this old lady can't take that type of "fun banter" anymore!  YIKES!! But to OP's question I don't feel good to go until that negative test slip is in hand....and while it does cause a level of discomfort I like it, I remember standing in line once checking in with DCL filling out that silly health form and the family behind us was clearly ill, coughing sneezing....all I had to do was look at my family & we scooted ourselves into another area ASAP. 

I feel the same way, its one of those "hurdles" outside your control for the most part.  Most acute on the first cruise after shutdown after waiting, experiencing moving goal lines, delays, changes in protocols.  We have our second after shutdown next week on Azamara where they only accept tests at the terminal, but as we're flying, we'll do the home tests before we get on a plane for our own satisfaction.

Can confirm the first COVID test was nerve racking until the negative arrived, then the packing and celebration started. After that we purchased the eMed tests for at-home testing and it is now a ritual that we set the laptop and camera up before bed the night before and we get up early for testing to make sure there is little to no wait time. It is now routine but we will have to purchase additional tests as the ones we have expire after our January test date. 4 down and 5 to go.

I'm assuming that since I'm leaving Bayonne, NJ & traveling to the Southern Caribbean in early January, that it is considered international travel & per my work rules (hospital) I have to PCR test 3-5 days after I return, so I'm trying to figure out if I can schedule a test at my local pharmacy for the day before I go back to work. I am still nervous about the pre cruise test, since I do work in a hospital, & older DD attends an adult day program for disabled adults who are not required to wear masks if they are unable to (although I believe all in her group wear them & they don't allow the groups to mix).  We actually plan to keep her home the first week of January when the program reopens after the holiday break to protect her from possible infection just before leaving. As my husband says, not relaxing til we're on the ship, 1st drink in hand.

9 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Our upcoming cruise is the one we've wanted to do the most out of all that we have coming up, but I'm not allowing myself to look forward to it too much because I'm terrified that Mr. SpeedNoodles will test positive due to having Covid over Thanksgiving.

I think I would have bitten my finger nails up to my elbows by this time if I were in this situation.

I will be keeping fingers, legs and eyes crossed for you that it all works out. 🤞

16 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Our upcoming cruise is the one we've wanted to do the most out of all that we have coming up, but I'm not allowing myself to look forward to it too much because I'm terrified that Mr. SpeedNoodles will test positive due to having Covid over Thanksgiving.

I thought I read that if you have had Covid within a 3-month timeframe you have to bring documentation that you had it.  My hubby had covid last November and the doctor/health dept told him he could test positive for up to 3 month.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

The ability to secure an appointment was a concern this past summer.  I would stay up until midnight when the pharmacies loaded the next batch of appointments to ensure I could secure a test to meet the timing required.  Fast forward several months and the availability of testing is not an issue today, appointments are plentiful. 

Sadly, this is not the case. We need to be tested Dec 24th. CVS is not opening appointments. They are not scheduling tests for the 24th or 25th which is the window for our sailing on the 26th. This was our backup plan. No longer. If we have any issues with our proctored at home tests, we will be having a white Christmas, which I do not want.

image.png.f3e94fc97a336102aecd012f828e4a33.png

18 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Sadly, this is not the case. We need to be tested Dec 24th. CVS is not opening appointments. They are not scheduling tests for the 24th or 25th which is the window for our sailing on the 26th. This was our backup plan. No longer.

image.png.f3e94fc97a336102aecd012f828e4a33.png

I'm not sure a retail store closing their lab for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day specifically is a reflection on the broader availability of tests.   That's one retailer closing their lab for those two days during a statutory holiday.  

In general terms testing availability now is substantially better compared to what it was in August.

Today I can book a test 50 minutes from now at my local CVS.  In August they had no appointments for any time slot within a two week window.  

32 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Out of curiosity, are you able to book at CVS for the 24th or 25th?

It's not available those days either in my area.

Check Walgreens in about 4 days to see if they'll be testing those days. The ID-NOW test at Walgreens is quick turnaround and is accepted by Royal.

57 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Not where I am, but no CVS within 100 miles of me offers rapid testing according to the CVS website so I stopped using CVS when the testing rule went from 3 days to 2 days in September.  I could make the PCR test at CVS work but only when I had 3 days to work with.  

Since September I've used Walgreens plus I bought a six pack of eMed tests for backup in case my testing site shutdown or had an issue.  eMed won't work for unvaccinated kids though.  

4 hours ago, whitsmom said:

I thought I read that if you have had Covid within a 3-month timeframe you have to bring documentation that you had it.  My hubby had covid last November and the doctor/health dept told him he could test positive for up to 3 month.

I've seen nothing that states this exemption, unfortunately.

9 hours ago, levib2 said:

Got negative tests yesterday from Walgreen in less than an hour.  Although I was enthusiastic about getting back to cruising, I really couldn't get fully excited until our results came in.  Elated after receiving results.

Has anyone else felt that way?

Totally can understand your feelings. For me I coudn't totally be elated till i had my kids results that allowed us to get on board. That's when I finally was able to relax. 

7 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

Can confirm the first COVID test was nerve racking until the negative arrived, then the packing and celebration started. After that we purchased the eMed tests for at-home testing and it is now a ritual that we set the laptop and camera up before bed the night before and we get up early for testing to make sure there is little to no wait time. It is now routine but we will have to purchase additional tests as the ones we have expire after our January test date. 4 down and 5 to go.

When you got those tests it says online that its a 2 pack or 3 pack, is there 2 tests per kit? so the 2 pack would have 4 tests and the 3 have 6? Or is it what it says it is?

12 minutes ago, b0o5h said:

When you got those tests it says online that its a 2 pack or 3 pack, is there 2 tests per kit? so the 2 pack would have 4 tests and the 3 have 6? Or is it what it says it is?

We purchased the 6 pack. There are 2, 3 or 6 individual tests shipped to you. We purchased the 6 test kit from eMed.com and not through Optum which is linked on the Royal website. They are the same proctored (online person monitoring) tests just less expensive in higher quantities. We purchased a double Abbott COVID test kit from Walgreens for a possible exposure but those are for in-home testing only and are not acceptable for any type of travel.

1 hour ago, CrznTxn said:

We purchased the 6 pack. There are 2, 3 or 6 individual tests shipped to you. We purchased the 6 test kit from eMed.com and not through Optum which is linked on the Royal website. They are the same proctored (online person monitoring) tests just less expensive in higher quantities. We purchased a double Abbott COVID test kit from Walgreens for a possible exposure but those are for in-home testing only and are not acceptable for any type of travel.

Thanks, was just curious if they came 2 per pack, figured they didn't so might as well double check. Going to be ordering mine by the end of the month probably through the RC site.

Has anyone use those random test sites that offer free test with results in 5min? I thought I would be off the day before my Jan10th cruise, but I work until 4:30pm. The last CVS or Walgreens test is exactly at that time, but I was able to make an appointment at one of the pop-up sites.

Outside the terminal at Bayonne there was a van set up where you could get a rapid test done. I saw a few people using that service during each of my cruises. I guess they didn’t get their test results in time and this was the last resort. I don’t know how expensive it is…maybe someone here has used them…but I can guess that it’s not covered by insurance, or the government. Curious if anyone has any first hand experience with them.

Has anyone used the testing service that RC uses at the port? I'm interested in Port Canaveral. We'll be in Orlando for a week prior to the cruise without a car. I know I can order the "out home" test, I'm just afraid that being a couple of seniors, we'll mess it up, especially using an I-phone!

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

Outside the terminal at Bayonne there was a van set up where you could get a rapid test done. I saw a few people using that service during each of my cruises. I guess they didn’t get their test results in time and this was the last resort. I don’t know how expensive it is…maybe someone here has used them…but I can guess that it’s not covered by insurance, or the government. Curious if anyone has any first hand experience with them.

I looked on the site Royal had for Bayonne and you can't book far out and it's $150 a person. And Royal's site says they are limited.

(https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-dont-find-a-pre-cruise-test-or-get-test-results-in-time)

Emed's website you can get a 6 pack of tests for the same price.

16 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I've seen nothing that states this exemption, unfortunately.

I have several trips we are planning (2 cruises & 1 international business trip) and I went back and looked again and that was for flying into Mexico.  It has been so long since we have got to go anywhere that I'm getting my trips mixed up.  Sending "Negative" vibes your way!

On 12/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, Baked Alaska said:

Walgreens has appointments on Christmas Eve day for testing, at least the one I use near Port Canaveral.  I'm guessing they are open in other areas as well.  

Walgreens appointment window is currently 7 days out so we won't know until tomorrow if they will be open on Christmas day.

1915652762_ScreenShot2021-12-17at6_51_46AM.thumb.jpg.cc643fcec87e75e7fa134a2d78669b25.jpg

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

Walgreens has appointments on Christmas Eve day for testing, at least the one I use near Port Canaveral.  I'm guessing they are open in other areas as well.  

Walgreens appointment window is currently 7 days out so we won't know until tomorrow if they will be open on Christmas day.

Thank you for posting this. I appreciate you so much for everything that you do for these boards! Wishing you and your family the best of the holidays!

We boarded Azamara Quest yesterday for a 15 day Caribbean over both holidays.  This line requires testing at the terminal prior to boarding.   Worse embarkation process we’ve ever experienced.  Due to insufficient staffing, they brought in some RCL and Carnival staff to pinch hit for in processing.  Third party Rona test company fumbled big time. about half the passengers waited up to 2 hours for results to be released in a relatively small waiting area.  Only 1 passenger was turned away for a + test.  About 518 on board, capacity about 700.  So far service and food fantastic.

I sort of understand anxiety…to the extent that anyone who doesn’t actually experience it can…so I feel extremely fortunate that neither my wife nor I get anxious for pre-cruise rest results. 

My work places me in close proximity to hundreds of strangers each shift, so I suppose I have developed a somewhat fatalistic attitude towards the whole process. 

We have trip insurance and accept that a positive test result for either of us will cause our plans to change.