Question about Amsterdam

Fox

Had a question for anyone that's ever cruised out of Amsterdam before. I'm considering doing a 12-night cruise out of Amsterdam that visits Iceland and Ireland in 2023. My question is about the cruise terminal and transportation. Will I have a problem there if I only speak English? I've had a layover at Amsterdam's airport before, but that is the extent of my knowledge of the area. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

21 minutes ago, Fox said:

Had a question for anyone that's ever cruised out of Amsterdam before. I'm considering doing a 12-night cruise out of Amsterdam that visits Iceland and Ireland in 2023. My question is about the cruise terminal and transportation. Will I have a problem there if I only speak English? I've had a layover at Amsterdam's airport before, but that is the extent of my knowledge of the area. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

I have never been to Amsterdam, but English is spoken widely all over Europe.  I would have all your addresses printed out so that you could show a taxi driver where you want to go.  You could also have google translate on standby, but I doubt you will need it.

Exactly as wordell1 said and if you want to have a little bit of flair at the very least learn to say little pleasantries like hello, please, and thank you. 

If you have the spare time check out Duolingo.  Dutch should be seriously easy to learn if a little bit of time is put in.  https://www.duolingo.com/course/nl-NL/en/Learn-Dutch

7 hours ago, Fox said:

Will I have a problem there if I only speak English? 

You shouldnt have any real issues as English is the recognised international language across the world.

The ONLY county i have had issues in is France! I was informed in perfect English by a waiter that he didnt speak English ( couldnt stop laughing ) his attitude changed when he found out i was in fact Scottish not English. 

Its also a good idea to learn a few words for the country you are visiting...thank you, good morning etc etc think people appreciate that you make the effort 

Also little bit of advice...in a certain area of Amsterdam while its not illegal to take photographs of the area, pointing a camera at a window and snapping away may cause issues with the occupants of window or their bosses.

7 hours ago, Fox said:

Embarrassingly for us Brits most Dutch people speak better English than most British people do!!

43 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

Embarrassingly for us Brits most Dutch people speak better English than most British people do!!

Lol So true but thats probably down to all the local accents etc for such a small land mass its amazing how quickly the accent changes in a very short distance.