Hooked for a New Englander & Izumi Hibachi

beachmama

Hi,

Living in CT, we have an abundance of amazing seafood restaurants nearby all the time. For those with similar situations...is Hooked worth it? We are seafood lovers and it would be nice to add a specialty lunch to the week but I'm worried we'll be disappointed in the end. 

In the same vein, how is the "show" for Izumi Hibachi? We are traveling with 1 fun grandma, 2 adults, and 1 tween. We also happen to have a few hibachi places nearby that are pretty fun with "ok" food.  I'm wondering if the show and/or the food is the draw for Izumi. I think it would be nice as a specialty meal but again don't want to be disappointed due to having good places near home.

7 hours ago, beachmama said:

Hi,

Living in CT, we have an abundance of amazing seafood restaurants nearby all the time. For those with similar situations...is Hooked worth it? We are seafood lovers and it would be nice to add a specialty lunch to the week but I'm worried we'll be disappointed in the end. 

In the same vein, how is the "show" for Izumi Hibachi? We are traveling with 1 fun grandma, 2 adults, and 1 tween. We also happen to have a few hibachi places nearby that are pretty fun with "ok" food.  I'm wondering if the show and/or the food is the draw for Izumi. I think it would be nice as a specialty meal but again don't want to be disappointed due to having good places near home.

Not sure where you are from but NOTHING beat's The Fish Tale in Madison!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

4 hours ago, Pooch said:

Lenny & Joes!!  Always a great meal!  I would add a plug for Jimmys of Savin Rock West Haven.  View of the beach and the best whole belly clams.

true, also Lenny's Indian Head Inn in Branford is another good one!

Looks like I may have to go home to CT soon for a visit!

I'm not a huge seafood fan but I know the difference between decent lobster and what they serve on a ship, even in Hooked.  

When I lived in a landlocked western state it was almost impossible to get decent fresh seafood.  That frozen seafood experience is what Hooked is like, in my experience, but being that I am not a huge seafood fan to begin with, I'm not the best judge of seafood in any venue.   In truth not a lot of land based restaurants do fresh off the boat seafood, many start with frozen product so I shouldn't beat up Hooked too much.  

Just like folks from BBQ regions will probably not rave about the BBQ at Port Side BBQ on Oasis, and few New Yorkers will rave about the pizza on board, I can't imagine many NE folks raving about Hooked.  I've been lucky to enjoy some really good steakhouses on land and Chops for me is not like that.  Having said that I still can enjoy Chops once in a while, it's just not something I'll rave about. 

I live in Florida, so obviously the seafood at Hooked isn't going to impress me.  The oysters tested sterile and had no salinity at all. I mean, I'll still go if I have the Ultimate Dining Package just for the variety, but I wouldn't go out of my way and spend extra just for it.

Izumi is all about the experience, same with all teppenyaki venues I've experienced. It's about on par with anything that I've experienced on land.